Race motocross on WR450 ?

5 replies to this topic
  • Muddyryder

Posted August 13, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Considering a 2016 WR450 as a dual purpose bike bit of enduro, hare and hound plus motocross. Anybody MX'd a WR?
I am talking club man level in UK so no massive jumps.

• stevethe

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:16 AM

You should be ok at the clubman level. There are people MXing the fx. The only difference in the fx and wr is lights, derestriction and a little damping change in the suspension. The fork and shock springs are the same.

• avlisj

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:38 AM

The wr will be perfect other than the weight. Whats nice is you can easily change the map for a snappy powerband while on mx track then smooth it out for trail. I dont think any other trail bike has that unless you buy different chips. It does lack the stiffer suspension. I have a '14 not the '16+. But the baseline is still there. I do Mx in calif bay area with mine. Trailbike on an mx frame and motor. Mines just a yz250 pre backward motor. You got full yz450 with the 16.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finbike

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Works quite good actually but the weight is deffinetly something you notice when it starts going wrong in the jumps. Thats why I have a sx250 when I want to do some mx

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted August 17, 2016 - 02:03 AM

As has already been said, the weight mid air is the only real disadvantage. I ride a 100kg 250F at MX, I'm able to bring it back easily if things get out of shape. Not so on the 450, if you get a little cross rutted or the wind catches you, I feel like a passenger. A bigger, more capable (450) rider wouldn't struggle but I would (67kg, 5'10)

You say no big jumps but my '07 450 will easily bottom out over the smallest drop offs and flat landings. Nothing stiffer springs and a revalve couldn't sort. If I could only have one big it'd be the 450

• stevethe

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:15 AM

As has already been said, the weight mid air is the only real disadvantage. I ride a 100kg 250F at MX, I'm able to bring it back easily if things get out of shape. Not so on the 450, if you get a little cross rutted or the wind catches you, I feel like a passenger. A bigger, more capable (450) rider wouldn't struggle but I would (67kg, 5'10)

You say no big jumps but my '07 450 will easily bottom out over the smallest drop offs and flat landings. Nothing stiffer springs and a revalve couldn't sort. If I could only have one big it'd be the 450

Remember there is a light years difference between a 07 WR450 fork and a 16'. The stock 07' fork will collapse without even riding it due to the crappy designed base valves that use a spring instead of all shims. The 16' is also sprung heavier for about a 185 lb. rider.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.