Magnetic drain plug

5 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted August 11, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Is it worth installing a magnetic oil drain plug? My WR450 came with one and I tend to find a little bit on it (likely from the transmission). My YZ426 doesn't have one now... is there any real advantage to installing one?

• stevethe

Posted August 11, 2016 - 12:02 PM

A little as you can pick up some magnetic material. However if you get a Chinese one it may risk the magnet falling out and it cracking in half as I saw happen.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted August 11, 2016 - 02:25 PM

I added one,, even small metal shavings from natural wear will make its way to your bearing raceways. Any way from stopping even one pass thru a bearing can save years on a motor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2016 - 08:47 PM

A little as you can pick up some magnetic material. However if you get a Chinese one it may risk the magnet falling out and it cracking in half as I saw happen.

This

Among other things...  Do yourself a favor and get something at least reputable.

• toten

Posted August 12, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Any brand suggestions?

• ttreewalkerr

Posted August 12, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I got mine from ebay, 10 bucks. Been fine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.