Kind of a Newb, Bike won't move in gear w/ clutch in. + story

21 replies to this topic
  • Spilly

Posted August 11, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Alright, Just wrote out the whole damn story with the bike and failed to load the next page so here's the short verson.

Trade for a 2007 YZ450F 2 weeks ago (ish)

Bike worked good on test ride, fluids = good, no leaks, no weird sounds.

Went to ride home and only made it 2 kms before bike quit.

started opening the bike up and notice timing was off and timing chain was worn out.

ordered parts, serviced bike while I waited.

Installed new chain and tensioner, timed bike, put it all back to together. won't start, hoping I &%$#@!ed up cleaning the carb.

push bike out of shop and notice the back tire wont spin in gear even with the clutch lever in. back on the damn table the bike goes.

pull clutch cover, inspect clutch to find nothing wrong. put cover back on and cry

so I'm here now. the good- Engine rotates with ease, new timing chain and tensioner and all timed up correctly, oil looked good with no metal or anything in it.

the bad- bike wont start, back tire locks up in gear (will slightly move slowly if pushing it hard while sitting on it), kicking it over feels hard some times (could be me being tired and grumpy too).

Please help my wallet and me

• jcross312

Posted August 11, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Alot of bikes are hard to roll cold in gear with the clutch pulled in. That could be kinda normal. My new 450 is hard to roll in gear with the clutch pulled. It rolls easier once warmed up, but still harder than neutral. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 11, 2016 - 01:16 PM

It's normal for used bikes (used clutches) to not roll or roll very poorly in gear with the clutch in.

• Spilly

Posted August 13, 2016 - 04:58 AM

Well thats some welcomed info! i can barely get it to move in gear with the clutch in but once it starts to roll it get a lot easier. I was checking the basics over again and I am going to leave the carb be until I run out of options. but I noticed my spark plug wouldn;t spark consistantly ( kind of hard to hold it and kick it and see the plug all at once) but I do believe the plug wasn't firing every compression stroke and the cap on top was missing, so I was going to put a cap on and noticed the top contact of the plug was broken and just kind of sitting in there. I'm hoping that this is the problem.

I'm glad to hear that it isn't uncommon for bikes to be hard to roll in gear though, that is a relief.

does anyone have any tips on starting a bike that had been apart and serviced that wont run?

• vossman23

Posted August 13, 2016 - 01:27 PM

Sorry you got hosed. You sound pretty sure it was put back together correctly, is there spark? Maybe a good bump start will get it running. I know that's not a fix but it may help you figure it out.

• Spilly

Posted August 13, 2016 - 01:34 PM

Sorry you got hosed. You sound pretty sure it was put back together correctly, is there spark? Maybe a good bump start will get it running. I know that's not a fix but it may help you figure it out.

Yeah forsure, If I could get it running I'd be way ahead. But I do live on a hill I just didn't think it would be a good idea to roll in gear when it so hard to move in gear lol. But I have spark I just double checked it 10 mins ago and the spark will jump like an inch so I have good spark but my plug was kind of shitty so I'm getting a new one. I think my gas is like 87 octane (filled from the wrong jug) should I go with 93? or will it start with lower octane?

• vossman23

Posted August 14, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Fresh 93 if you can.

• damnbiker94

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:58 PM

A properly working ignition on a YZ sparks on every rotation of the crank, not just the compression stroke. Definitely address the wiring issue you found. Then go from there.

Edited by damnbiker94, August 14, 2016 - 04:59 PM.

• 2strokeRobert

Posted August 14, 2016 - 06:01 PM

If your wheels will not roll, somewhat easily with clutch pulled in, then your clutch springs may be to tight, back off the bolts that hold them a lil. Swear I had the same problem with a banshee this morning and that fixed the problem

• Spilly

Posted August 14, 2016 - 06:07 PM

The clutch I have doesn't have springs bolted in it has a plate under a snap ring that provides the spring. No way to losen it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 03yzf450-kuke

Posted August 15, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Um ya DO NOT take roberts advice lmao

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted August 15, 2016 - 08:59 AM

You probably just have a notched basket i wouldnt worry too much about it as long as it doesnt slam into gear hard when u do get it running and try to shift into first while running

• Spilly

Posted August 15, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Um ya DO NOT take roberts advice lmao

Yeah couldn't if I wanted to, my clutch is weird it has like a flex plate spring deal, there were no springs in it. maybe one of them stall proof thingys? its a Hinson clutch.

I am getting frustrated, I wish I had money to just take this to someone. I can't get it to start now, just back fires every few kicks. I was reading that it could be a pilot or a woodruff key issue? 

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted August 15, 2016 - 11:13 AM

Well ask gray racer he can prolly lead u tge right way

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2016 - 02:55 PM

It's a Hinson "slipper".  The design is supposed to reduce engine braking.

10:1 if the bike sat for a while, it needs the pilot jet punched through or replaced:

http://www.thumperta...o/#entry6879695

• 2strokeRobert

Posted August 21, 2016 - 04:59 PM

Why not take my advice? I understand that I may have misunderstood the question but from my first comment that could be a solution and was in my situation. The clutch spring bolts were in to tight, not allowing the clutch to disengage completely when the lever was pulled, making the wheels not roll at least somewhat easier compared to when in gear and no clutch. We backed them off like between a 16th to 8th of a turn, not very much at all to be honest and that fixed our problem.

• Spilly

Posted August 22, 2016 - 05:10 AM

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I got the bike running great. Fiddled with the carb for a few hours and it was starting first kick and running nice. Took it down to my fathers to give it a bath and the rod seized on the crank going down there. Got it hauled back home and ripped it completely apart. Don't know what my next move is yet.

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:05 AM

The clutch spring bolts were in to tight, not allowing the clutch to disengage completely when the lever was pulled,

The torque on the clutch spring bolts cannot cause this problem.  Under normal installation procedures, they are bottomed and snugged against the clutch boss, and while over tightening can cause other problems, it will not compress the springs any farther at 10ft/lb than at 7 ft/lbs, and that's just that.  If you loosened them, you are running the risk of them backing out against the clutch cover.  They are not designed to stay put unless tight.  Unevenly sagged old clutch springs were more likely your problem.

That's why not.

• HondaH8r904

Posted August 25, 2016 - 11:38 PM

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I got the bike running great. Fiddled with the carb for a few hours and it was starting first kick and running nice. Took it down to my fathers to give it a bath and the rod seized on the crank going down there. Got it hauled back home and ripped it completely apart. Don't know what my next move is yet.

damn id be pissed off at the seller. Hope you didnt pay much for it

• xMUDKINGx

Posted August 26, 2016 - 12:33 AM

Why not take my advice? I understand that I may have misunderstood the question but from my first comment that could be a solution and was in my situation. The clutch spring bolts were in to tight, not allowing the clutch to disengage completely when the lever was pulled, making the wheels not roll at least somewhat easier compared to when in gear and no clutch. We backed them off like between a 16th to 8th of a turn, not very much at all to be honest and that fixed our problem.

he mentioned in a post earlier that he does not have clutch springs and the traditional bolts that hold them in the clutch.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.