2012 YZ450F Oil Filter - Which way?

6 replies to this topic
  • J_G

Posted August 09, 2016 - 09:06 PM

I was told the oil filter on the YZ450's can only go in one way. What way is that? When I initially opened the cap the oil filter fell out and i didn't get to see which way it went in. Also the user manual doesn't specify.Is the open side towards the engine or towards the cover?

Edited by J_G, August 09, 2016 - 09:07 PM.

• Gaskill

Posted August 10, 2016 - 02:48 AM

Open side toward motor.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 10, 2016 - 05:09 AM

^ that

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2016 - 08:29 AM

It should be impossible to bolt the cover back on if you try to install the filter backward.  There should be a short tubular stem the oil output port (open end) slips over. 

• 2wheelfiend

Posted August 10, 2016 - 09:49 AM

It's not impossible. I've installed it backwards but realized it after questioning myself when I too did not pay attention to how the old filter came out. The manual does not clearly describe which direction it should be installed. There's only a vague drawing showing the location of the filter. 

The tubular stem depresses the spring loaded pressure valve (I don't know what it's called) on the filter. The cover will bolt on. I only know this because I'm an idiot sometimes.

• Gaskill

Posted August 10, 2016 - 10:24 AM

No it's no impossible, I put it In backward bolted the cover back up the when I started it the bottom ear that the bolt goes through cracked and lost oil.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Well, that wasn't an improvement.  The '09 and earlier ones had an extrusion on the filter cover that went into th eopen end of the filter (they mounted the other way around, so that it was impossible to install it backward, unless someone installed the "trick" Ready Racing cover that lacked the stem. 

There are serious consequences to reversing the filter.  Flipping it around covers the hole the oil flows through to reach the engine, cutting off the oil supply to the crank, top end, and transmission.  Just like running out of oil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.