larger holes in silencer core

3 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted April 02, 2002 - 02:39 AM

Someone was going to try putting larger holes in the silencer core and tell us if it was quieter or not. I don't remember who it was or which thread this was in, but whoever you are did you try this and how did it work? :)

• yzernie

Posted April 02, 2002 - 04:08 AM

I did this on one of my YZ250's I had a couple of years ago. It made it just a little bit more quiet. When enlarging the holes you are weakening the core strength. I would be hesitant(sp?) to do this to my mighty 426 because of the extra vibration and volumn of flow through the core. If the core were to break it would cause performance problems, not to mention the cost of replacement.

Maybe a couple of larger holes a few inches apart would be ok.

Ernie

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: yzernie ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 02, 2002 - 05:25 AM

Duct tape up that big hole in the end that makes it real quit, In fact if you stuff Styro foam down there first its even Better :D :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 02, 2002 - 12:25 PM

My neighbor had a KTM that the core was completely used up on. He made a new core out of expanded metal. After repacking the thing, it was about 1/2 as loud as it was with a brand new silencer. The deal is, the expanded metal exposed more of the packing thant the perforated core. If you dont know what expanded metal is, its the stuff some screen door dog gaurds are made of. It usually has parallegram shaped holes in it. Ive heard of guys using heavy duty galvanized wire mesh and having good results also.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.