Fork Seals Leak During Trailering

7 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted August 08, 2016 - 08:04 AM

So I trailered my bike for about a 1 hr drive. I use they typical ratchet tie downs and compress the front forks.

When I got home I had a good dose of oil all over the sliders (they are of the upside-down style)......maybe 1/2 oz or so on each one.

In an upside-down fork with the fork compressed, I probably have alot of oil ABOVE the piston and the seal when the forks are compressed

so it COULD have leaked out?

My friend had his bike beside mine and no leak. He uses a wood block to keep the forks from popping downward (and poss coming loose)

With the wood block in place the forks have no motion UP or DOWN

With mine there could have been a small pumping action that made them leak?

I replaced the seals less than 1 season ago and I'm 99% sure I made a good clean job of it

Bottom Line: Do I have junk seals or is there something odd in trailering that could have done this?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Pull the wipers and clean out the wiper area and seals.

There is probably just a piece of debris up in there .

• bobpara

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:09 AM

I did the seal replacement last year when the forks were pulled out and on the bench

Can I pop just the wipers off and slide them down and do all of this w/o removing the forks?

(if I remember there is a wiper and under that is the actual seal)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:28 AM

I did the seal replacement last year when the forks were pulled out and on the bench

Can I pop just the wipers off and slide them down and do all of this w/o removing the forks?

(if I remember there is a wiper and under that is the actual seal)

Yes you can

Boot / dust seal/ seal clip /fork seal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted August 08, 2016 - 10:53 AM

My bike is trucked with tie downs pushing on the forks weekly. If cleaning the seals doesn't work you need new seals. Many times the chrome is scratched and needs to be sanded. I use fork seal covers to keep my tubes from getting scratched and have no seal issues.

• Summit

Posted August 08, 2016 - 12:24 PM

Use a plastic fork saver.

• vossman23

Posted August 08, 2016 - 03:20 PM

+1 for the fork saver.

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 09, 2016 - 04:02 AM

I use a wood block I made from a 2x4 to prevent the forks from compressing too far. I put a little foot on one side so it sits on the tire better. Nary a problem and it locks down tight with the ratchet strap.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.