2016 YZ450FX ride report

79 replies to this topic
  • YHGEORGE

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:48 AM

Just buy the new Honda RX :ride: It's your new prescription to ride. 

In the process.

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:51 AM

:blah:  :cry:

And a hearty :blah: :blah: :blah:  to you old man.  Or should that be slow, portly old man? I'll have to go back and check. :lol:

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 12, 2016 - 09:37 AM

Just buy the new Honda RX :ride: It's your new prescription to ride.

Hey-o, I see what you did there...marketing dept called and said "hell no."
That RX looks absolutely BA. I've never been a Honda dude, and it's already difficult enough not going out and buying a 450FX, but I think they are absolutely going to nail it with that new RX. If Team Green (my roots) decides to jump into this market, I'm a buyer.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 12, 2016 - 01:33 PM

Hey-o, I see what you did there...marketing dept called and said "hell no."
That RX looks absolutely BA. I've never been a Honda dude, and it's already difficult enough not going out and buying a 450FX, but I think they are absolutely going to nail it with that new RX. If Team Green (my roots) decides to jump into this market, I'm a buyer.

RX = close ratio trans, zero flywheel mass, no lighting harness, no simple map tuner, etc

FX = wide ratio trans, WR flywheel mass, lighting (partial) harness, cheap and simpe FI IGN tuner, longer piston skirts, abuseable trans and clutch

• stevethe

Posted August 12, 2016 - 02:14 PM

RX = close ratio trans, zero flywheel mass, no lighting harness, no simple map tuner, etc
FX = wide ratio trans, WR flywheel mass, lighting (partial) harness, cheap and simpe FI IGN tuner, longer piston skirts, abuseable trans and clutch

Don't forget + no Uni Crap Cam.

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 12, 2016 - 02:16 PM

I need to read more before posting - just found out about the RX yesterday and saw a picture ... assumed it was an FX-like CRF. I can't envision buying a Honda, but will hold out a little bit to see if Kawasaki enters this market. Then I'll compare and go from there - I hope to get a chance to ride an FX (or even a 14+ YZ450F) before I make any decision. I know anything will be leaps and bounds better than my '11 WR, but for right now, it's doing the job I need it to do well.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 12, 2016 - 02:30 PM

Don't forget + no Uni Crap Cam.

I like the Uoohni cam

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:46 AM

I need to read more before posting - just found out about the RX yesterday and saw a picture ... assumed it was an FX-like CRF. I can't envision buying a Honda, but will hold out a little bit to see if Kawasaki enters this market. Then I'll compare and go from there - I hope to get a chance to ride an FX (or even a 14+ YZ450F) before I make any decision. I know anything will be leaps and bounds better than my '11 WR, but for right now, it's doing the job I need it to do well.

A well set up '11 WR is still an excellent bike. :ride:

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:57 AM

One thing holding me back from getting any new bike is that I know I'm still not better than the bike itself. It's not a money or wife restriction, it's mainly because I don't think I've mastered my '11 WR to where I'm being held back much by the bike itself, although I'm sure I'd love the feel of the new bike and would probably still be faster (I'm definitely faster on my YZ250...). But I still want to be better before moving on. But then again, who doesn't love a brand new dirt bike? (I wouldn't know...)

• mxrider4life847

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:16 AM

Enzo racing have a suspension shop in Texas :thumbsup:

Have you used them nick? I think they are in Newark. I've got some friends that have and said his turnaround is awesome.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 13, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Ride #2

This bike requires a stronger, faster, rider than me, to tame it in the tight woods. Well, SoCal woods, anyway. Rough and silty.

It is awesome until it gets really rough and slow, and then it's hard to hang on to!

I mean rough..... baby head sized jagged rocks buried inside silt and grass.... rutted, uphill, and off camber too boot.

We rode a dry river bed for about 4 miles, and it kicked my ass. 

If I concentrate really hard, it works really well, but my BETA is better at stuff like this....which I already assumed....but the BETA will NOT take whoops and 'trouble' like this bike does. It is stable.

I can now see how some riders 'de-map' it for smoother power delivery.

It's not bad at all, but after riding the BETA ( sim to the KTM), it is comparatively 'abrupt' right off idle.

Plus, at idle, it is very torquey. Torquey enough to 'push' going very slow if you are not on top of it....but if you crack the throttle, the torque does not increase with throttle, so it feels like it has less....until the rpms come up quite a bit.

Granted I am 80lbs heavier than the average rider, so I usually expect this kind of power issue.

One cool thing I did notice is that it turns inside really, really well. 

Even at speed, you can just back off the throttle and lay it over, and it tracks.

Add some throttle and you feel like you acutally have some skills....

Also, the engine braking, while not 'soft' at all, does not make the bike handle poorly, like some other bikes (KTM).

Usually I always ride in a higher gear, and use the clutch constantly, to nearly eliminate the engine braking, to improve handling.

Not needed on this bike at all. 

The suspension in the forest is a little to agressvie however.

The Enzo valving it not cut out for a rock fest ride. 

If I were a bit faster it would be better. Tried riding that way, and it starts to smooth out....but my brain will no longer process information that fast for very long...

If I do go faster, this happens...:

:cry:

• Summit

Posted August 13, 2016 - 05:49 PM

"This bike requires a stronger, faster, rider than me, "
Can I have it then?

• Ka0sX

Posted August 14, 2016 - 01:09 AM

Now that these new FX bikes have a wider ratio gear box how many hrs you think we can get before a rebuild is done? No racing just regular trail riding my 2014 yz450 is kicking my ass aswell, Looking to go to a 250FX or 250X

• cowboyona426

Posted August 15, 2016 - 06:16 AM

Didn't realize the RX got short-changed with the close ratio trans and MX type flywheel... makes me wonder how well it will really perform compared to the FX.  The guys that like to ride MX bikes in the woods will probably think it's great, but after doing that for a decade myself I'm happy to have the wider gears, heavier flywheel, increased engine braking, and kickstand on my FX :D

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 15, 2016 - 01:06 PM

I don't know, and not everyone will agree, but most times I prefer the close ratio trans. Only thing I wish for more of sometimes is top speed (on my YZ250 in this case). I've ridden mx 450s off road as well - unless it's open desert, fast fire road kind of stuff, or any form of dual sport use, the close ratio trans is great in my opinion.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 15, 2016 - 01:34 PM

I don't know, and not everyone will agree, but most times I prefer the close ratio trans. Only thing I wish for more of sometimes is top speed (on my YZ250 in this case). I've ridden mx 450s off road as well - unless it's open desert, fast fire road kind of stuff, or any form of dual sport use, the close ratio trans is great in my opinion.

I never had any complaints on my 00 YZ 426, but I fought a lot with my 06 YZ 450F.  The FX for me is a great blend of the 2, and I know when the going gets really rough I can keep going on my FX when my 06 would have flamed out on me.

• shrubitup

Posted August 15, 2016 - 09:36 PM

I never had any complaints on my 00 YZ 426, but I fought a lot with my 06 YZ 450F. The FX for me is a great blend of the 2, and I know when the going gets really rough I can keep going on my FX when my 06 would have flamed out on me.

Was the yz426 a semi wide ratio transmission then?

• cowboyona426

Posted August 16, 2016 - 06:35 AM

Maybe?  I honestly can't remember, and I'm too lazy to look it up :D  All I know is with 13/52 gearing and no flywheel weight, that bike was a ton easier to deal with in the woods than the 06 with a similar setup.  I remember the gear ratios changed some, but can't remember which gears or how much.

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Nope.  Same ratios as the '06.  All of the 450's, including the 4 speeds, actually had a marginally lower 1st gear (1.929 vs. 1.846, not quite 4%).  The 426 had more overall rotating mass, though, and was tuned more for low end than any of the YZ450's.

What did change was the primary drive ratio.  Bikes up to '04 had a 2.952 primary ratio, and '05 onward have 2.652.  This reduces the load on the clutch and transmission slightly, and was made up for almost exactly by dropping to a 13 tooth front sprocket from a 14. 

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted August 20, 2016 - 07:18 AM

Ride #2

This bike requires a stronger, faster, rider than me, to tame it in the tight woods. Well, SoCal woods, anyway. Rough and silty.

It is awesome until it gets really rough and slow, and then it's hard to hang on to!

I mean rough..... baby head sized jagged rocks buried inside silt and grass.... rutted, uphill, and off camber too boot.
We rode a dry river bed for about 4 miles, and it kicked my ass.

If I concentrate really hard, it works really well, but my BETA is better at stuff like this....which I already assumed....but the BETA will NOT take whoops and 'trouble' like this bike does. It is stable.

I can now see how some riders 'de-map' it for smoother power delivery.
It's not bad at all, but after riding the BETA ( sim to the KTM), it is comparatively 'abrupt' right off idle.
Plus, at idle, it is very torquey. Torquey enough to 'push' going very slow if you are not on top of it....but if you crack the throttle, the torque does not increase with throttle, so it feels like it has less....until the rpms come up quite a bit.
Granted I am 80lbs heavier than the average rider, so I usually expect this kind of power issue.

One cool thing I did notice is that it turns inside really, really well.
Even at speed, you can just back off the throttle and lay it over, and it tracks.
Add some throttle and you feel like you acutally have some skills....

Also, the engine braking, while not 'soft' at all, does not make the bike handle poorly, like some other bikes (KTM).
Usually I always ride in a higher gear, and use the clutch constantly, to nearly eliminate the engine braking, to improve handling.
Not needed on this bike at all.

The suspension in the forest is a little to agressvie however.
The Enzo valving it not cut out for a rock fest ride.
If I were a bit faster it would be better. Tried riding that way, and it starts to smooth out....but my brain will no longer process information that fast for very long...

If I do go faster, this happens...:

:cry:

Exactly how I felt about the bike.
It is a handful at low speed tech trails
I installed the hardpack map and it's tons better, with no power loss at speed that I can tell.
Corners like its on rails but upon exit it's hard to keep the front end down. But I'm a bad rider so it's probably me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.