2016 YZ450FX ride report

79 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Mine has been set up to fit me (extra tall seat, very low pegs, forward submount and Scotts, .54/6.6 + Enzo valving)

Stock tires, tubes, mapping.

Added hanguards, better skid plate, OEM WR lighting, brake light, no turn signals.  Lighting is not finished yet

ProCircuit T6 slip on.

For in depth details on this build, go to 'The List' thread in the WR forum.

You are absolutely f'in crazy not to get one of these.

Easy as hell to ride slow or fast. 

Tracks like trails bike, jumps like an MX'r. 

All the attributes of a 'heavy planted' bike, without the heavy feeling.

All the atributes of a 'light and flickable' bike, without the sketchy handling under full power.

This bike leans quickly side-to-side over like a 250cc two stroke, but without the nervousness or peaky power.

Best OEM suspension ON THE PLANET...

Stock map power is fine for trail riding and Enduro.  Not a rocket ship, but it's all there. No over rev power for GNCC type riding.

Power delivery is extremely easy to meter in all but the slowest on/off/on throttle conditions.

25/105 sag yields a very neutral feel on or off the throttle.  

Lean it hard, cut the throttle, turn inside, get on the throttle and go. Sticks like glue.

" Why didn't you just buy a WR?"

It seemed like a shorter path of modifications to reach my goal.........still seems so.

20160721_160750_zpsvw94l0dk.jpg

• vossman23

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:26 AM

Nice Krannie, thx. One day I'll get time to ride mine.

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 06, 2016 - 12:06 PM

One day I'll get one. And make time to ride it...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 06, 2016 - 01:34 PM

Intake "Honk" reduction.

It helps.

20160806_1401011_zpsb9gxzfrl.jpg20160806_1402431_zpstfuzdky7.jpg20160806_1410001_zpsncw2xjpt.jpg

• stevethe

Posted August 06, 2016 - 01:54 PM

Intake "Honk" reduction.

It helps.

20160806_1401011_zpsb9gxzfrl.jpg20160806_1402431_zpstfuzdky7.jpg20160806_1410001_zpsncw2xjpt.jpg

Oh stop. I cut mine more open for a different tune.

It's like music to my ears.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 06, 2016 - 02:49 PM

Oh stop. I cut mine more open for a different tune.

It's like music to my ears.

I couldn't hear the motor! 

Just 'Hhhhhaaaaank". Better now.

Remember the FX is cut wide open stock.

• stevethe

Posted August 06, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Naw double the opening size. You'll like it. It takes a different tune note altogether.

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 06, 2016 - 04:27 PM

Is it any different than the 10-13 intake noise?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 06, 2016 - 05:29 PM

Naw double the opening size. You'll like it. It takes a different tune note altogether.

The end of the 'snorkle' is cut wide open at the intake side.

• RMK800

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:38 PM

One day I'll get one. And make time to ride it...

Like I have. 45hrs so far. The bike is so fun to ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vossman23

Posted August 07, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Pics?

• stevethe

Posted August 07, 2016 - 09:36 PM

Pics?

image_zpsxc7uat6k.jpeg

• jezza426

Posted August 08, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Mine has been set up to fit me (extra tall seat, very low pegs, forward submount and Scotts, .54/6.6 + Enzo valving)

Stock tires, tubes, mapping.

Added hanguards, better skid plate, OEM WR lighting, brake light, no turn signals.  Lighting is not finished yet

ProCircuit T6 slip on.

For in depth details on this build, go to 'The List' thread in the WR forum.

You are absolutely f'in crazy not to get one of these.

Easy as hell to ride slow or fast. 

Tracks like trails bike, jumps like an MX'r. 

All the attributes of a 'heavy planted' bike, without the heavy feeling.

All the atributes of a 'light and flickable' bike, without the sketchy handling under full power.

This bike leans quickly side-to-side over like a 250cc two stroke, but without the nervousness or peaky power.

Best OEM suspension ON THE PLANET...

Stock map power is fine for trail riding and Enduro.  Not a rocket ship, but it's all there. No over rev power for GNCC type riding.

Power delivery is extremely easy to meter in all but the slowest on/off/on throttle conditions.

25/105 sag yields a very neutral feel on or off the throttle.  

Lean it hard, cut the throttle, turn inside, get on the throttle and go. Sticks like glue.

" Why didn't you just buy a WR?"

It seemed like a shorter path of modifications to reach my goal.........still seems so.

20160721_160750_zpsvw94l0dk.jpg

Thats seeet ! I want one, where and what is it ??

Cheers

• cowboyona426

Posted August 08, 2016 - 06:34 AM

Sorry to hear you're so disappointed with the new scooter Krannie :D

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 08, 2016 - 07:14 AM

So is that Beta with the crummy big $$$ suspension. I'm betting a half eaten Snickers and three nickels he never gets it right. Big Blue has taken the sweet spot in his shop.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 08, 2016 - 07:26 AM

So is that Beta with the crummy big $$$ suspension. I'm betting a half eaten Snickers and three nickels he never gets it right. Big Blue has taken the sweet spot in his shop.

Go away.

• mxrider4life847

Posted August 08, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Pics?

image_zpsxc7uat6k.jpeg
What are we looking at? I can't quite make it out, other than it being the intake duct...

While on the subject, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've sure noticed that the filter gets dirty quick. And it's not just from dust... It's actual ROOST. I know I roost myself sometimes with my front tire, and of course I get roosted at the track... Seems like it gets a lot more heavy type dirt in there as opposed to a conventional style airbox.

Great write up Krannie. And very informative for those looking to get one of these magnificently better than a pumpkin machines.

I'm fortunate enough to be 5'11 and 168 lbs, and I will say, the bike rigged up perfect for me without any mods. A set of pro-taper windham contour bars, a few clicks on the forks and a sag adjustment, and I really felt at home and comfortable. I could go out and spend a chunk of change to have it re-valved, but I can't see it being much better as It really swallows up everything I feed it.

It really does track through ruts amazingly. For the first time, I've actually been really close to dragging an inside bar in the dirt while cornering... Definitely the lowest I've been yet. I think the way the power rolls on really helps this. Keeps the rear end solid and steady with excellent throttle feel and control.

My only gripes:
Well, I really hate putting gas in it... Very hard to see what's going on while holding a 5 gallon jug of fuel over it. Maybe I can get some smaller cans and have a better control and view while filling it up.

The intake is noisy and dirty. I keep pondering putting some sort of foam in the ducts, to dampen the noise and maybe help keep the larger amounts of roost from entering the airbox. But then I worry about it building up during a race and end up choking it off.

Edited by mxrider4life847, August 08, 2016 - 04:03 PM.

• stevethe

Posted August 08, 2016 - 04:10 PM

What are we looking at? I can't quite make it out, other than it being the intake duct...
While on the subject, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've sure noticed that the filter gets dirty quick. And it's not just from dust... It's actual ROOST. I know I roost myself sometimes with my front tire, and of course I get roosted at the track... Seems like it gets a lot more heavy type dirt in there as opposed to a conventional style airbox.
Great write up Krannie. And very informative for those looking to get one of these magnificently better than a pumpkin machines.
I'm fortunate enough to be 5'11 and 168 lbs, and I will say, the bike rigged up perfect for me without any mods. A set of pro-taper windham contour bars, a few clicks on the forks and a sag adjustment, and I really felt at home and comfortable. I could go out and spend a chunk of change to have it re-valved, but I can't see it being much better as It really swallows up everything I feed it.
It really does track through ruts amazingly. For the first time, I've actually been really close to dragging an inside bar in the dirt while cornering... Definitely the lowest I've been yet. I think the way the power rolls on really helps this. Keeps the rear end solid and steady with excellent throttle feel and control.
My only gripes:
Well, I really hate putting gas in it... Very hard to see what's going on while holding a 5 gallon jug of fuel over it. Maybe I can get some smaller cans and have a better control and view while filling it up.
The intake is noisy and dirty. I keep pondering putting some sort of foam in the ducts, to dampen the noise and maybe help keep the larger amounts of roost from entering the airbox. But then I worry about it building up during a race and end up choking it off.

Look at the opening to the air box further back. It is cut open to twice the size. It removes the honk sound from intake.

Interesting your getting roost from someone in there it's only open to the sides not the front. Mine stays much cleaner than a normal air box under the seat.

• motocrotts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 06:02 PM

I'm grinning so much when I'm riding it, I never even heard any honkng.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 08, 2016 - 06:21 PM

Several companies make 'duct filters'': foam that stuffs inside the ducts.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.