You're brave

• Pancho_Jsy

TT Member

40 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 08, 2016 - 01:17 AM

12hr solo aa first event...OMG
You're brave

I think the word you're looking for is stupid!

Because of the cost of getting off the island it makes sense to enter a longer event. We wont be out there to race and place, the idea is to treat it as a good day out riding with mates. If we need a half hour break we'll take one

• foggy3061

TT Bronze Member

172 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 05:49 AM

• Ultra HD inner tubes (the 4mm thick ones that come in a shoe box sized box) or mouses to stop pinch flats.

All good advice from Guy. :thumbsup:

You can cover the Michelin UHD 4mm tubes with mousse grease when you fit them to really reduce the chances of pinch punctures.

• GuyGraham

TT Platinum Member

1,675 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I use talcum powder

• Monk
23,740 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 08, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the tips GuyGraham,

I won't be taking spare cables as everything on the bike is like new

I hadn't thought about Rad guards, I don't run them on my MX bike, they can get pretty bent before they leak.

Got haul straps on the way (although the other guys will probably just use rope or old tie down straps)

Thanks for the advice on gearing. I'll get an X-ring chain and 12T sprocket on order.

I'm surprised any of you are recommending Tyre Slime. I've worked in the industry for over a decade and I've never seen a puncture sealed with that stuff. It just makes a horrible mess of the inside of the tyre/wheel. Oh and it corrodes the rims of tubeless wheels

I've heard the weather can be pretty miserable. will get some warm stuff to wear when I'm off the bike.

We're entered as Solo but will probably ride together (until one of us gets bored or breaks down)

I've done a long enduro...I'm very skilled in offroad events and entering the Ironman Galardo 500 was difficult. The biggest thing is nutrition. If you don't hydrate yourself with a electrolyte, YOU WILL GET CRAMPS. Go to a runners store and get powdered electrolytes and add water. Experiment with different flavours weeks before your life event. If possible, have two water systems with two different flavours as one can get old fast... After that, play with foods. Solid dense foods like PB&J sandwiches, egg sandwiches, really chicken or turkey etc etc. Something that doesn't spike your insulin and burns slow... Diet will be everything and it's best you know exactly what foods do what and how they make you feel. Powerbars, protein bars and such are just junk food so stay away! What you are doing today is close to what you should be doing race day. Too much change and you will be sick...

As for the bike, the less power the better. The smoother and more compliant the better too. Stiff suspension is great at the 2hr mark but such a bitch at hour 6. Make sure your fill ups are all preplanned as well as a maintenance stop of needed. Make sure your tools are in the right places as well as parts. Nothing can be more frustrating then looking to put a wheel on and having the spacer missing. Make sure your bike is sound, brake pads are full, extra airfilters, fresh oil etc etc...Do not try new tires in race day, or Mousse tubes, or a new suspension setting. What you are familiar with is what's going to work the best...

As for the race, just ride to finish. In my race I was racing against teams of 4. It was very difficult mentally to watch a guy that you can beat on a regular basis pass you during the race. Your instinct is to race with them and catch them. In my race the guy would pull over after two laps and I'd be still out there. Don't have any expectations of winning as you won't. There will be at least 3 people that will ride faster, harder, longer and win...

Other then that, do what you want. Pull over when you want, have a nap, do whatever. You are out there for 12hrs so you might as well enjoy it...
  • RockerYZWR and Pancho_Jsy like this
  • Like This

• Pancho_Jsy

TT Member

40 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 09, 2016 - 12:42 PM

The UHD tubes are on the way. Dont have mousse gel but might try talc. 

One option i do have is a 19" mx wheel with a new Michelin Starcross 3 tyre. Would this be better than the stock 18" wheel with the O.E. Dunlop?

I'd have thought the Starcross would have more grip but will the larger diameter work against me on the slow stuff?

The O.E Dunlop (253 i think) is almost new

• Bitteeinbit

TT Bronze Member

126 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 04:51 PM

I've always heard that bigger diameter increases the risk of a pinch flat. I had a KDX 200 with a 19" rear wheel and never had a flat, but I don't see the point of changing...

• GuyGraham

TT Platinum Member

1,675 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 09:49 PM

No stick with the 18"
The 19 has the same overall diameter and to achieve this they use a lower profile tyre. The result is bigger risk of pinch flats over the 18"

The taller sidewalls of the 18" enduro tyres help prevent pinch flats and dings to your rim

The penalty is a bit of extra unsprung weight but this is the reason why enduro bikes still come with 18" rims over the 19" from the MX bikes

Edited by GuyGraham, August 10, 2016 - 09:40 AM.

• Pancho_Jsy

TT Member

40 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 14, 2016 - 02:31 AM

An update now we're back and the mud (no dust) has settled. What a cracking day out!

The weather was completely against us from the start, hard rain overnight was followed by everything from light drizzle to biblical downpours with a few sunny moments here and there. Goggles lasted the first 10 minutes, and by the first lap we were soaked through.

The course started with a little endurocross section - Nothing extreme, some tractor tyres, little jumps, rock section etc. Then it was off into the forest. At full throttle of course. I know you all said pacing yourself is key but like kids at Christmas none of us could resist! The lap was a good mixture of open forest roads, tighter quad bike tracks and some single rut tracks cut through the trees. Some steep climbs, some stream crossings and a winding uphill rock garden that demanded a steady hand on the throttle and some blind faith. The extreme sections were challenging in the morning and bloody hard by the evening. We managed some of them, had to turn back on others. I've never ridden in such awful conditions for so long. The mud wasn't overly claggy or heavy but being soaked through for so long was really demoralising.

Our balls out riding approach meant we couldn't sustain the pace for long. Lapping around 40 minutes meant needing a 30 minute rest. I know this is absolutely not the way to win an Enduro but we were there to have fun and pootling round would have been boring. We're now on the hunt for 2-4 hour events where we can be more competitive.  

The bike performed well despite being caked in mud like I've never seen before. The whole area behind the rads was one solid piece of mud. A few low speed crashes bent both rads, and the bike is looking a little bit second hand. It also developed a misfire in the last hour, popping and banging on the over run. I'm guessing its water ingress, but I haven't fiddled with it since washing it when we got back. 

AND NO PUNCTURES!

Overall it was a great event to do and I'm so glad I took the WR. The grunt made the long slippery climbs child's play, the extra weight was hardly noticeable. And having the leccy start was a God send. Riding my Husqvarna 250F at the weekend reminded me how much it needs revving and how exhausting kickstarting a 4T can be. Considering chopping both in for a 2017 WR450F now...

• GuyGraham, jimmym and RockerYZWR like this
  • Like This

• RockerYZWR
1,396 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:11 PM

Great read, thanks for the follow-up.

• GuyGraham

TT Platinum Member

1,675 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 10:58 AM

"A few low speed crashes bent both rads,"

mmm....seem to have predicted that!

• Radiator braces to prevent radiators becoming damaged

Edited by GuyGraham, September 15, 2016 - 11:00 AM.

• Bitteeinbit

TT Bronze Member

126 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the update. Any pictures and not that it's important, but how did you guys finish? What was your friend riding?

• Pancho_Jsy

TT Member

40 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:38 PM

I knew Radiator braces would have been useful but i ran out of time and cash to order them. They're only very slightly twisted. More the mounting brackets than the rads themselves. Lesson learnt though.

Couldn't find any good photos of me but here's the official gallery http://dawntoduskend...sk-2016-photos/

We finished in the middle of the pack at 8 laps. The top guys did 14 laps

Bikes we took were:

2007 WR450F

2012 YZ450F

2013 YZ250

2015 Husqvarna TC250

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.