Tips on preparing for your first enduro event with an '07 WR450

32 replies to this topic
  • Pancho_Jsy

Posted August 05, 2016 - 02:58 AM

As the title suggests, myself and three friends are entering the 12-hour Dawn to Dusk Enduro, held in Wales at the end of the month. We're all experienced MX riders (6 years for me, more like 20 for the other 3) but this is the first enduro event any of us have ever been to, let alone entered! Trapped on the island of Jersey there is no enduro scene here so there's no local fountain of knowledge when it comes to enduro racing.

What I'm after are your words of wisdom regarding bike set up; tips, tricks and hints for saving time/hassle before, during and after the race. How do you stay fed and watered over such a long time? What riding kit/equipment is essential/useless?

The course is a ~1hour lap in a disused shale quarry, click the link for details http://dawntoduskenduro.co.uk/

I realise this might be the wrong sub forum but there isn't a dedicated enduro racing board

TIA James

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 05, 2016 - 04:16 AM

http://www.dirtrider...ro_racing_guide

http://crosstraining...-techniques.htm

• knuckleduster271

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:16 AM

TEAR OFFS-LOTS OF TEAR OFFS- hand guards are a must- if your racing 12 hours get a hydration pack using a new bladder (i never reuse hydration bladders,ive seen a few folks get deathly ill reusing them), make sure your chain is properly adjusted and put a dab of silicone rtv over your master link clip if your bike has that style- a steering stabilizer-in a 12 hour endurance race they're worth their weight in gold, a fresh set of tires front and rear-

Edited by knuckleduster271, August 05, 2016 - 06:25 AM.

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Got packs of Tear offs. Handguards are on. Got a Leatt Enduro jacket with a built in Hydration Pack, loads of pockets for cereal bars, gels etc.

My original chain has been chopped to fit a 44T rear sprocket. I'm planning to refit the original sprocket (49T I think) and buy a new chain. Would you guys recommend an O-ring/X-ring or an open chain? I know open deal with mud better but don't last as long. Its unlikely to be boggy mud but I don't mind dumping the chain after the event. Is stock gearing a good compromise?

Got the original tyres the bike came with, I'll swap the stock tubes for Michelin UHDs

Can't justify the cost of a steering damper really, I'll probably regret it but between motocross, trials, enduro, supermoto, classics and road racing I've spent enough for a deposit on a house on bikes and parts already this year :jawdrop:

Edited by Pancho_Jsy, August 05, 2016 - 06:54 AM.

• Bitteeinbit

Posted August 05, 2016 - 07:55 AM

I've never raced (my first one is coming up in October), but here's what 've heard from experienced riders:

-PACE YOURSELF! 

You'll be nervous as hell and likely giving a death grip to the handlebars at the start and eager to "get ahead" of the pack. Better to stick to an almost leisurely pace at first and avoid getting fatigued and serious armpump. Conserve your energy and let the others race ahead and make costly mistakes first. Sounds corny, but being sow and consistent seems to be better than fast and furious (unless you're a pro). That's the approach I'll take anyways... I've never raced, but ride very confidently (especially in mud and climbs) with people who do, and I figure that's what's best. Experienced racers have confirmed this as well. And I imagine with a 12 hour enduro, consistency and a steady pace will be HUGE, moreso than a shorter race. 

Oh, and have fun!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 05, 2016 - 01:43 PM

eat often.    drink often.   Never allow yourself to get hungry... or thirsty.   Stay ahead of this... trust me.       Its better to feel full than to feel hungry or thirsty.   

Eat healthy if you can.   First couple of hours suck down gel packs every thirty minutes whether you feel you need them or not.  After about 2 or 3 hours, start nibbling on thinly sliced lean turkey or something like that.  Not the low sodium stuff.  Not a lot of it either.   You just don't want your stomach growling.   Get ahead of the hunger and energy drain.  

Try to put a few hundred somewhat healthy calories in your body every hour.   Any more than that and your body may not be able to process it.

You will need the protein and the sodium.   Consume about   Lean turkey or something like that.  

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 05, 2016 - 05:29 PM

Pickle juice! There's nothing better for lengthy physical endurance events. Coconut water is good, too, along with bananas and as much protein as you can ingest during pits and along the way.

• vossman23

Posted August 05, 2016 - 05:50 PM

No advice but this looks like a tough race. Have fun and good luck.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Pickle juice! There's nothing better for lengthy physical endurance events. Coconut water is good, too, along with bananas and as much protein as you can ingest during pits and along the way.

Straight Apple Cider Vinegar shots before and during the race. Eliminates lactic acid in seconds.

• knuckleduster271

Posted August 05, 2016 - 09:43 PM

Straight Apple Cider Vinegar shots before and during the race. Eliminates lactic acid in seconds.

I tried that once- someone said it works for acid reflux- it birnt my throat so bad i dont see how anyone could drink it straight-

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pancho_Jsy

Posted August 06, 2016 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Not sure i could stomach the vinegar, by what action does it affect lactic acid build up? Other than making you wretch so bad you forget you had arm pump??

The sighting lap teaser has just been posted, it looks.... wet. 

When it's that wet do people use johnny jackets and waterproofs or just grin and bear it? a 15 minute mx race in that much water is miserable, 12 hours would be soul destroying. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 06, 2016 - 06:03 AM

I tried that once- someone said it works for acid reflux- it birnt my throat so bad i dont see how anyone could drink it straight-

I don't know why it would burn your throat, it's not acidic, it's alkali. That's why it works.

• William1

Posted August 06, 2016 - 06:18 AM

Being old and slow, enduros are what I do well in. Tortoise and the hare. Ride at the same pace, all day. Let the crazies take off in a cloud of dust. 30% will crash out in the first few hours. 30% more will crash out before days end. 20% will have mechanical failure. So even starting dead last ( mean still sitting and finishing your coffee as the flag drops) and being the last rider to cross the line, you will do better than 80% of the rest of the guys. Add a little speed and consistency and you will easily make it to the top ten%.. Then depending on how good you are, you may do even better. Hydrate. 12 hours is a long time to be riding. Riding smart works a lot better in a long race than trying to lead.

• knuckleduster271

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:00 AM

I don't know why it would burn your throat, it's not acidic, it's alkali. That's why it works.

Yeah, im not sure- ive read where people shoot it so its evidently not uncommon but it felt like it totally stripped the lining of my esophogus.
Maybe it was the brand i was using- it was Heinz so it wasnt the all natural, non pasteurized stuff- i could have swore it said something on the bottle that it contained 5% acid though.

Edited by knuckleduster271, August 06, 2016 - 07:02 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, im not sure- ive read where people shoot it so its evidently not uncommon but it felt like it totally stripped the lining of my esophogus.
Maybe it was the brand i was using- it was Heinz so it wasnt the all natural, non pasteurized stuff- i could have swore it said something on the bottle that it contained 5% acid though.

5% acidity level, not 5 % acid.

• knuckleduster271

Posted August 06, 2016 - 09:26 AM

5% acidity level, not 5 % acid.

I just looked at a bottle here- it does say 5% acidity-I dont know much about the stuff- what is the difference between acidity level and being 5% acid?
I just assumed 5% of the bottle by volume was acetic acid common in vinegar

Edited by knuckleduster271, August 06, 2016 - 09:32 AM.

• GuyGraham

Posted August 07, 2016 - 10:40 AM

Having raced an 08 WR450 in H&H and been to watch the D2D a few times I can offer the following advice

for the bike you'll need (its all about making the bike reliable /crash proof as there's lots of rocks etc there):-
  • Ultra HD inner tubes (the 4mm thick ones that come in a shoe box sized box) or mouses to stop pinch flats.
  • Bark buster hand guards to stop your levers getting broken every time you come off and fingers broken if you clip a tree (I found the Zeta ones work'ed OK on the WR bars). Plain mx type hand guards are not good. You need the ones with the metal bars
  • Clutch cover protector to stop the clutch cover getting punctured on the rocks during a fall - such as this http://www.ebay.co.u...YoAAOSwofxUlAVS
  • Radiator braces to prevent radiators becoming damaged
  • Aluminium Bash plate
  • lots of spares such as levers, cables, chain & spare link etc and tools to mend the bike with
  • Rim locks (1 at least front and back, preferably 2 - the WR has holes for 2 rim lock on the rear wheel)

For you
  • CamelBak drinks pouch - take on fluid before you are thirsty. If you are thirsty then you aren't drinking enough / often enough
  • Tape for your hands to stop blisters (once you have blisters its too late)
  • lots of small snacks & fruit - eat all the time you can to keep up energy levels up
  • Good body armour
  • Spare clothing - if its raining or wet you'll need them. Walters Arena is a bleak place when its raining. Preferably some waterproof Enduro clothing if you can (jacket & trousers & water proof gloves).
  • ditto lots of warm clothing as when you're in the pits - you'll get cold sat around if the wind is blowing (as it usually is there)

Don't go mad in your first session - you can't win it in the first hour but you sure can loose it by hurting yourself

Are you enter as a 2/3/4 man team or as solo's?

Good luck!

Edited by GuyGraham, August 07, 2016 - 09:48 PM.

• jimmym

Posted August 07, 2016 - 08:34 PM

All great suggestions, here's a few more I would add:
- Small tube of jbweld putty
- Duct tape wrapped around the jbweld tube
- Some safety wire
- Basic set of portable tools of common sizes (screwdrivers, hex set, wrenches/ratchet, axle wrench)
- Tire slime in the tubes
- Check/replace/grease bearings
- Radiator guard, skid plate, and handguards are an absolute necessity

And don't forget to bring your smile - as this may be the most fun you'll ever have outside the bedroom!

• GuyGraham

Posted August 07, 2016 - 09:44 PM

A few more thoughts from reading your posts above

• X-ring chain is best- non sealed chains are crap. O-Ring absorb alot of power.
  • Gearing-std 13/50 results in first being too tall for slow techincal stuff at walking pace resuling in having to slip the clutch too much which gives you cramp in left hand and continual stalling when you're tired. 12/50 is much much better and the bike will still do 80mph so nonprobs on faster sections.
  •  Get some haul straps fitted front and rear so you can pull the bike out of funny places it may end up in..lol

Edited by GuyGraham, August 08, 2016 - 03:33 AM.

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted August 07, 2016 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for all the tips GuyGraham, 

I won't be taking spare cables as everything on the bike is like new

I hadn't thought about Rad guards, I don't run them on my MX bike, they can get pretty bent before they leak.

Got haul straps on the way (although the other guys will probably just use rope or old tie down straps)

Thanks for the advice on gearing. I'll get an X-ring chain and 12T sprocket on order. 

I'm surprised any of you are recommending Tyre Slime. I've worked in the industry for over a decade and I've never seen a puncture sealed with that stuff. It just makes a horrible mess of the inside of the tyre/wheel. Oh and it corrodes the rims of tubeless wheels

I've heard the weather can be pretty miserable. will get some warm stuff to wear when I'm off the bike.

We're entered as Solo but will probably ride together (until one of us gets bored or breaks down) 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.