03 wr450f clutch problem

5 replies to this topic
  • arlo7

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:30 AM

When I pull the clutch in when the bike is in gear, the bike wants to keep going forward. Is that just a bad clutch cable?

• toten

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:43 AM

How much does it want to move?

With wet clutches there's always some drag. 

The cable could be adjusted wrong. The basket could be grooved. Or it could be perfectly normal...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 04, 2016 - 11:43 AM

All dirtbike clutches do this to some extent

Your clutch is 13 years old, so it probably needs a new clutch pack (warped steels) and the basket notches to be filed out.

Adjust your clutch cable (hot motor) to remove all slack but a 1/8" gap at the lever and the perch.

If it still drags badly, you need a clutch pack.'

Just to be clear, it is normal to drag a little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • arlo7

Posted August 04, 2016 - 05:18 PM

When I come up to a stop sign I have to hold to brake and sometimes that isn't enough to keep it from moving. I've tried adjusting the clutch right by the clutch lever and it will work for about 10 min of riding then it goes back to wanting to go move with the clutch pulled in

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:35 AM

When I come up to a stop sign I have to hold to brake and sometimes that isn't enough to keep it from moving. I've tried adjusting the clutch right by the clutch lever and it will work for about 10 min of riding then it goes back to wanting to go move with the clutch pulled in

Sounds like the symptoms of a clutch cable that is getting ready to break...

You can adjust the drag out but after a few minutes more strands of the cable stretch/break and you

are back to dragging again, adjusting again, dragging again...   repeat until cable breaks.

• arlo7

Posted August 05, 2016 - 08:00 AM

I have also noticed that every once in awhile the shifter will get stuck when I go to downshift.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.