how often to change piston/rings 2014 yz450f recreational riding

10 replies to this topic
  • Ka0sX

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:42 PM

Hey guys getting back into riding have a chance to buy a nice 14 yz450, Has new topend and bottom end

Owner said when he had topend done the place said he needed new bottom as well so he did both

Currently has total 68hrs , 30odd since top and bottom done

Now i will not be racing ill just be weekend riding,

How long do you think i would get ? i know its like asking how long is a piece of string lol

Just general EASY REC riding nothing major

Thanks

Edited by Ka0sX, August 02, 2016 - 08:42 PM.

• yamerhammer

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hey guys getting back into riding have a chance to buy a nice 14 yz450, Has new topend and bottom end

Owner said when he had topend done the place said he needed new bottom as well so he did both

Currently has total 68hrs , 30odd since top and bottom done

Now i will not be racing ill just be weekend riding,

How long do you think i would get ? i know its like asking how long is a piece of string lol

Just general EASY REC riding nothing major

Thanks

depends on how hard you ride, if you ride "casual" do your oil changes and clean your air filters. you should easily get 100 hours on a motor.

I just had my bike rebuilt recently and I ride track, lots of sand and I'm fairly hard on the bike and I got just under that. I'm surprised to hear he only got 38 hours before a bottom end rebuilt. just keep up on your maintenance and you should be fine.

• Ka0sX

Posted August 02, 2016 - 09:02 PM

Well he is a ex-racer here in australia, He thinks they just told him that to get more money

Bike is in awesome shape, 

So say 100hrs break that down to 20hrs p/month every5 months would need a topend,

Jesus is all i can say how do rec riders afford this lol

Couple pics of bike taken 2 hrs ago when i looked at it,

Started 1st kick

Attached Thumbnails

• yz450-1.jpg
  • yz450-2.jpg
  • yz450-3.jpg
  • yz450-4.jpg

Edited by Ka0sX, August 02, 2016 - 09:04 PM.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:19 PM

Just to give you an idea.......I had a 2011 YZ450 that I bought new in 2011. I raced it in normally two classes which were the 35+ an 40+ classes in a series that usually had 16 rounds in it.
I finally got around this past Feburary an put a New Timing chain in it along with a New Piston an Rings.
Bike had 86 hrs on it valves never needed adjusting nor did they need adjusted at the time I done the Top End in Feb. I measured the Piston ware and ring gap and they were in spec so I really didn't need to put a New Piston An Rings in.
However when I did an rode it, I could tell it gave it a little bit more power than what it had before I done it.
If all your going to do is trail ride then you will be able to go For about 150hrs safely I should say.

• Ka0sX

Posted August 03, 2016 - 05:17 AM

Just a post to let you guys know i bought it had to stop procrastinating over buying it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted August 03, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Not sure why he needed work so soon. I have had 4 yz450s of different years. I usually go 100-150 and replace pistons. Even then they are usually in spec. I have never done a crank as I usually sell the bike at 300ish hours and start over. Never had to do a valve adj on any of them either. Mix of trail riding and desert/supermoto racing.

• Monk

Posted August 03, 2016 - 06:53 PM

200+hrs

• jcross312

Posted August 09, 2016 - 05:02 AM

Monk, how often do you service your suspension. I've got close to 60 hrs. on my '16 and have been thinking about getting an oil change, but it still feels pretty good. I do strictly mx riding.

200+hrs

meant to quote you above.

• Monk

Posted August 09, 2016 - 05:07 AM

Monk, how often do you service your suspension. I've got close to 60 hrs. on my '16 and have been thinking about getting an oil change, but it still feels pretty good. I do strictly mx riding.

meant to quote you above.

Less then 30hrs... I do my own suspension though so other then oil and a bit of time it's not that expensive. Most of the time I might do some shim shuffling too...

• Pooley

Posted August 09, 2016 - 11:04 AM

Everyones riding style will cause maintenance schedules to vary.  I bought and still ride my 01 WR426 new.  It's been exclusively trail ridden in Michigan with about 15k miles of singletrack since new, call it 800-1000 hours on bike.  I have done rings and piston twice, at 7000 and 14000 miles.  The bike didn't lose compression or anything prior to doing rings.  I  did them because I had the engine out and opened up for other things.  I figured why not.  At 7k miles I flooded the bike very badly in a creek and had to do a complete tear-down.  I also decided to replace the cam chain at the time, which was hardly worn.  At 14k my valves finally need replacing, and had never once needed shimming until they were gonners.  It happens pretty quickly once they start.  I also needed 1 valve guide.  I did not do cam chain again.  Never had to anything else besides change fluids and grease things on a schedule...all the standard maintenance things that should never be put off.

I'm sure people believe I'm riding a ticking timebomb since I've never needed to do the rod, bearings or anything else major, but Yamaha motors are built to last.  I do not know how durable the newer generation bikes from first hand experience, but some of the previous longevity I am sure has continued.

Edited by Pooley, August 09, 2016 - 11:08 AM.

• motohead13

Posted August 09, 2016 - 02:52 PM

Most guys suggest doing a top end at 50 hours and top and bottom at 100 and so on and so forth. If you can afford that, thats what i would suggest. At least you will most likley never have a problem. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable running a crank for 300 hours but a lot of guys on here say they do it so the choice is up to you.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.