09 YZ450F oil drain bolt stripped! Options? Thoughts?

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtdude723

Posted August 02, 2016 - 06:59 PM

First off I'd like to say that the engineer that thought it was such a grand idea to put the drain bolt in the side of the case literally less than 2 inches from the frame deserves a dick punch. WTF???

Where is the drain in a funnel, a sink, a toilet, pretty much ANYTHING... That's right in the BOTTOM not the side and especially not right beside the frame.

OK, now that I've vented about the asinine design of having the drain bolt on the side of the case so close you cannot even fit a socket between the case and the frame...

Anyway the fact remains that the threads for the oil drain bolt at lower rear right hand side of the case are stripped and must be repaired so what I'm asking has anyone successfully fixed this problem without having to drop, tilt or remove the engine.

Yes it is located in such F'd up location what should be a simple 15-20, 30 min max repair will take more like 2-3 hrs.

Anyone???

Also, has anyone simply said screw you Yamaha designers, JB welded the existing drain plug and just drilled and tapped another on the bottom and called it a day?

Yes, I'm seriously considering doing so after I look closely at the engine schematics if there ia nothing in the way of doing so.

• dirtdude723

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:22 PM

For the record I got the bike used 2 years ago and the drain bolt threads were already on the way out back then, jusr been lucky in that it would tighten enough not to back out the last several times, but alas the threads finally gave out and it will no longer tighten thus the need ro fix it.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 02, 2016 - 10:54 PM

I had an 06 YZ450 that the drain bolt pulled the threads out from it. This bolt was located at the side as yours and the frame was in the way. To do it good and right you have to pull the motor off the frame. I used a "Time-Cert" to fix the drain hole that stripped.

A Time-Cert allows you to use the same size drain bolt that was in it. It's a steel insert that is stronger and impossible to strip out. You just order the size Time Cert kit for the bolt you need.

You will just drill the hole out bigger, Tap it, counter sink the hole and lastly screw the insert into the hole and it is in for good, no way will it come back out or now will you ever strip it again.

Seems like the kit costs about $70 or something, don't quote me on it cause it has been a long time since I got mine and they may have went up or may just have stayed the same price.

Just look up time Sert or Time Cert , either one should get you the site or a place that sells the kit.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:02 PM

First off I'd like to say that the engineer that thought it was such a grand idea to put the drain bolt in the side of the case literally less than 2 inches from the frame deserves a dick punch. WTF???

Where is the drain in a funnel, a sink, a toilet, pretty much ANYTHING... That's right in the BOTTOM not the side and especially not right beside the frame.

OK, now that I've vented about the asinine design of having the drain bolt on the side of the case so close you cannot even fit a socket between the case and the frame...

Anyway the fact remains that the threads for the oil drain bolt at lower rear right hand side of the case are stripped and must be repaired so what I'm asking has anyone successfully fixed this problem without having to drop, tilt or remove the engine.

Yes it is located in such F'd up location what should be a simple 15-20, 30 min max repair will take more like 2-3 hrs.

Anyone???

Also, has anyone simply said screw you Yamaha designers, JB welded the existing drain plug and just drilled and tapped another on the bottom and called it a day?

Yes, I'm seriously considering doing so after I look closely at the engine schematics if there ia nothing in the way of doing so.

Here is a picture of the kit from a just a random place that had them. This kit was $86.44 and I believe was the size you needed which was a M10x1.25 meaning metric 10mm insert with a thread pitch in the insert of 1.25 which is the thread pitch on the drain bolt.

However your bolt might be a 12mm I just know that my 06 had a 10mm bolt with a 1.25 pitch

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1470207501.662224.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdude723

Posted August 03, 2016 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the info and reply

I'm familiar with both helicoil and timesert options and figured that's pretty much what I was going to have to do in order to fix it properly, was mainly just curious inf anyone had found any way to fix it without moving engine, but it appears there is only one way to fiz it right. UGHHH!!!

I pretty much figured I'd have to drop, tilt or remove the engine to do it right, hence my venting about the ridiculousness of placing an oil drain bolt on the side of the case so close to the frame it's not easy to simply change, much less actuall work on.

LOVE my 09 YZ 450 F, gotten lots and lots of hours on it with little to no problems, as in 100+ and most of that is woods training, hare scramble racing and MX so it's been a SOLID bike for sure.

I can't complain, it's given me many hours of trouble free service and loads of fun, oh and a brocken femure, but you play you pay, not a matter of if you'll get hurt eventually, but how bad.

Thanks for the link, guess I'll order one and get to the task of basically taking the bike apart, may as well check valves while I'm at it.

• dirtdude723

Posted August 03, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Oh and yes 10m x 1.25 is correct

I'll have to measure the length to be safe, but 10m x1.25 is the size and thread pitch on the 09 as well.

• dirtdude723

Posted August 10, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Anyone ever just tap it to an M12 and use a different size drain bolt?

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Before you take that tack, be sure there will be an adequate area outside the hole for the head of the bolt to seat a washer and provide wrench access. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.