Just looked at 2014 YZ450F "Looking for opinions'

19 replies to this topic
  • Ka0sX

Posted August 02, 2016 - 06:49 PM

So i just looked at a yz450 biked used to be raced, it has had a top end and bottom end done at 35hrs, Since then it was used on a track for practice rest was trail riding it has a total of 68hrs according to the GYTR power tuner, He is willing to give that with the bike

Seen receipts from Coast Yamaha in Adelaide SA

Has FMF FACTORY 4.1 RCT SYSTEM / Hoey Suspension 

He wants 5k for it, Australia, Bike is worth it yeah ?

Pics

Attached Thumbnails

• yz450-1.jpg
  • yz450-2.jpg
  • yz450-3.jpg
  • yz450-4.jpg

• craig.murray

Posted August 02, 2016 - 06:53 PM

well i bought a brand new one a month or 2 ago and there amazing bikes lots of power all the way through im only at 9.5 hrs so i dont have that big of a opinion yet only thing ive done to it is change the oil every 2-3hours and got black plastics
i paid 7100 otd price on my brand new one

• Ka0sX

Posted August 02, 2016 - 06:58 PM

well i bought a brand new one a month or 2 ago and there amazing bikes lots of power all the way through im only at 9.5 hrs so i dont have that big of a opinion yet only thing ive done to it is change the oil every 2-3hours and got black plastics
i paid 7100 otd price on my brand new one

Thanks for the reply, Nice to hear you are enjoying the bike.

Just wondering if bike i'am looking at is worth the $5000.00

• craig.murray

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:01 PM

well if everythings been taken care of proper as per the manual which theres alot of maintence if you check the manual it says at 12.5 hrs to replace piston rings and bearing me myself i dont ride as hard as racing daily i am hard so im going to wait till 15 maybe 20 hrs but if everythings been done right that is close to the price range id expect

• craig.murray

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:03 PM

my bike1470193274595.jpg

• Ka0sX

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Nice bike as for piston and rings i will not be racing the bike just trail riding it wont be riding it too hard so i wouldnt need to replace that often should get atleast another 50 or so hrs outta it ill be just trail riding on week ends bit to old to go crazy on it now lol

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:48 PM

When I convert the amount to USD it's about $200 less than what I paid 6 months ago for a '14 with 29 hours on it.  With mine I got an FMF silencer (not the whole exhaust) and a 5 gallon can of VP race gas.  Suspension had been set up for the previous owner and was really stiff.  The bike is in great shape and has been awesome so far, and I've only put about 10-12 hours on it.

Seems like a decent deal, though I might question why the bottom end needed rebuilding after only 35 hours.  Be curious if they replaced the connecting rod when they did the bottom end since the '14's have a history of rod issues.

• Ka0sX

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:04 PM

When I convert the amount to USD it's about $200 less than what I paid 6 months ago for a '14 with 29 hours on it.  With mine I got an FMF silencer (not the whole exhaust) and a 5 gallon can of VP race gas.  Suspension had been set up for the previous owner and was really stiff.  The bike is in great shape and has been awesome so far, and I've only put about 10-12 hours on it.

Seems like a decent deal, though I might question why the bottom end needed rebuilding after only 35 hours.  Be curious if they replaced the connecting rod when they did the bottom end since the '14's have a history of rod issues.

I actually seen the receipt there was a tone done to it, $2500 all up  

Just sent him a msg and asked him, Will post back

My main concern for just weekend trail riding wont be riding it to to hard how long do you think on AVG i could get before rings and stuff need to be done

Example  Saturday and Sunday 3 to 4 hrs each day, Just general recreational riding

Owner Said

It was due a top end and when I took it in they said it needed bottom end done aswell. Probably just saying that to get a bit more money out of me haha

Edited by Ka0sX, August 02, 2016 - 08:15 PM.

• Ka0sX

Posted August 03, 2016 - 01:04 AM

Here is a list of what has been done,

Attached Thumbnails

• repairs-1.jpg
  • repairs-2.jpg

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted August 03, 2016 - 04:31 AM

So he must have blown the motor up or something.  Only 35 hours on it, and takes it to the shop because it "won't start" and it needed all that....  There are people on here that I've seen posting they have gone like 200 hours on the OEM crank.  

If you are just trail riding I think 100 hours on the piston is probably ok.  Crank even longer.  Valves should be good for a long time as well.  The main thing is keeping the filter clean, fresh oil in the tranny, etc.  Do the routine maintenance and it should last a long time.  I might be a little leery of buying a bike that needed that much work so early in it's life.  Unless this guy is a Pro or A class MX rider who was wringing it out all the time.  Even still, it seems a little odd to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ka0sX

Posted August 03, 2016 - 04:54 AM

So he must have blown the motor up or something.  Only 35 hours on it, and takes it to the shop because it "won't start" and it needed all that....  There are people on here that I've seen posting they have gone like 200 hours on the OEM crank.  

If you are just trail riding I think 100 hours on the piston is probably ok.  Crank even longer.  Valves should be good for a long time as well.  The main thing is keeping the filter clean, fresh oil in the tranny, etc.  Do the routine maintenance and it should last a long time.  I might be a little leery of buying a bike that needed that much work so early in it's life.  Unless this guy is a Pro or A class MX rider who was wringing it out all the time.  Even still, it seems a little odd to me.

Yeah had me alittle baffled aswell but yes he is a  Ex-racer now,

But i bought the bike alittle while ago

Edited by Ka0sX, August 03, 2016 - 05:07 AM.

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted August 03, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Yeah had me alittle baffled aswell but yes he is a Ex-racer now,

But i bought the bike alittle while ago

Congrats! I love mine. I'm a fledgling mx rider at the young age of 45 and can't beat that 450 power.

• Monk

Posted August 03, 2016 - 10:30 AM

So he must have blown the motor up or something. Only 35 hours on it, and takes it to the shop because it "won't start" and it needed all that.... There are people on here that I've seen posting they have gone like 200 hours on the OEM crank.

If you are just trail riding I think 100 hours on the piston is probably ok. Crank even longer. Valves should be good for a long time as well. The main thing is keeping the filter clean, fresh oil in the tranny, etc. Do the routine maintenance and it should last a long time. I might be a little leery of buying a bike that needed that much work so early in it's life. Unless this guy is a Pro or A class MX rider who was wringing it out all the time. Even still, it seems a little odd to me.

Ya, I had over 200hrs on mine, never touched the motor...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 03, 2016 - 04:42 PM

Look at that clutch cover.

That bike has hunderds of hours on it.

Pass........

• Ka0sX

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Look at that clutch cover.

That bike has hunderds of hours on it.

Pass........

When i hook up the GYTR power tuner says total of 68hrs, When the bike had the top and bottom end done it had 35hrs according on it 

Unless you can some how reset the hrs if thats the case ill be mad as hell

OHHH and i found out why the work was done apparently a Cam gear spun and destroyed shit tone of stuff and also the owner did lie to me he told me he bought it new but he bought it 2nd i'am pissed of about that 

Edited by Ka0sX, August 05, 2016 - 06:57 PM.

• Monk

Posted August 05, 2016 - 07:08 PM

When i hook up the GYTR power tuner says total of 68hrs, When the bike had the top and bottom end done it had 35hrs according on it

OHHH and i found out why the work was done apparently a Cam gear spun and destroyed shit tone of stuff and also the owner did lie to me he told me he bought it new but he bought it 2nd i'am pissed of about that

You can reset the hours...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 05, 2016 - 07:17 PM

Easy to reset the hours.

That clutch cover says 200 hours to me....

• Ka0sX

Posted August 05, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Easy to reset the hours.

That clutch cover says 200 hours to me....

Thanks man, Starting to feel like i was had with this buy

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 05, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Thanks man, Starting to feel like i was had with this buy

Don't fret.

Yamaha's last forever.

• Ka0sX

Posted August 05, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Don't fret.

Yamaha's last forever.

Well i do baby my bikes, Really look after them hopefully i wont have any major problems

I did think my self that there was abit of wear on it you know with boots etc

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.