• YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Instagram
  • RSS Feed
  • Google+

Photo
- - - - -

Pondering: Trade CRF450X for New WR450F?

• Please sign in to reply

19 replies to this topic
  • gbw

TT Member

25 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 07:49 AM

Not sure whether to put this, here or in the CRF section.  Anyway, as title says I’m thinking about this. 

A local dealer has 2016 WR450F for $7,999.00, plus all the additional crap as they can think to add. ( Also has a WR250F for 7199, and YZ450FX for 7899 and a 250FX for 7499.)

I have a 2005 CRF450X, in excellent condition, about 200 mostly gentle hrs.  Original sprockets / chain if that gives a clue, they’re due for a change.  No head work yet though I suspect it will be needed soon, but that’s not really a factor here.

I love the bike – it’s reliable and fast, it starts, runs, handles great for the putting about, relatively speaking, that I do.  I has been re-jetted, opened up somewhat, and APed to the standards in the CRF450X FAQ.

But I’m getting antsy.  I like what I’ve seen / heard / read about the Yamahas, I don’t ride enough to justify both.

So, I’m comparing a stock 2016 WR450 to my lightly modified 2005 CRF.

For any who have non-racing experience with both:

Is the WR faster, or smoother, lighter, or handle significantly differently?

Is it worse or unpleasantly different that a CRF450X in any regard?  Subjective judgments count here, notwithstanding red v. blue preferences.

Are there any mods that a new stock WR really must have?  Or is it fine out of the box?  For example, the CRF450X really must have re-jetting and carb tuning from the gitgo. 

Mostly what I’d call moderately aggressive trail riding, deep south U.S.   Handguards & snake gun for sure, anything else?

In advance, Thanks

Edited by gbw, July 29, 2016 - 07:50 AM.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,222 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 29, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Big difference in power. The 16' Yamaha's are a very fast bike with great suspension.

The WR needs to be derestricted. Competition ECU, remove tea kettle in intake tract, remove throttle stop screw, it's in the GYTR instructions. Put a YZ or other muffler on it.

• Tattoojunk

TT Bronze Member

166 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 02:38 PM

I sold my plated 05 crf 450 r and today i picked up my new toy a 09 wr

I dunno if a crf x is lower than a crf 450r but my WR is a bit lower and feels like a nimble 250 sizewise and its also on 19 inch on the back

Every stock bike needs to be uncorked due emission and legal bullcrap

A 2016 wr 450 must be a great bike...all wr seems to be great an reliable

• Krannie McKranface
36,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 01, 2016 - 04:20 PM

The WR is a lot smaller, lighter, shorter, faster, more agreesive handling (busier at speed).

The WR has more power (uncorked), more suspension, better feel overall, and is really well built (I've had mind down to the frame and back, and it's a big step up in build quality from previous year WR's)

The WR starts much better, is easier to tune, and feels 50 lbs lighter.

I have both bikes (mine is the FX) and my CRF450X with the R top end sits unridden most of the time...

• dw08

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 05:36 AM

Hi there gbw, I very recently had exactly the same quandary.

I've had an 05 CRF450X from new, and loved it, particularly the torquey motor.

My brother recently housed his 09 WR450 with me, so I occasionally took it for a ride, similar to you, I'd say aggressive trail riding.

I fell in love with the handling and feel of his bike, what I describe to my mates as 'easy to ride'. Everything about it feels 'right'.

This led me to purchase a 16 WR450F only a month ago, and I have to tell you, I haven't looked back.

Admittedly I'm is Australia and here the WR comes standard with the competition ECU and a box of competition replacement parts (YZ air filter screen, larger exhaust tip, alloy bark busters, steel bradded front break line etc)

Even with the stock components this bike is more powerful, responsive, lighter and handles so much better than my beloved CRF.

I cannot comment on the effects of the competition ECU since I haven't experienced the bike with out it. But as stevethe mentioned, there is a throttle stop screw that I replaced to give more throttle opening and a piece of plastic to pull out of the air box. Both really simple mods, and the bike is essentially race ready.

I have recently put a GYTR FMF muffler on mine, it sounds better and possibly pulls a little better but it's not essential.

My advice to you would be to do yourself a favor and upgrade. I promise it'll make your trail riding much more enjoyable (and a lot less tiring !!)

Hope this helps your decision making : )

• gbw

TT Member

25 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 11:36 AM

from KRANNIE:

The WR is a lot smaller, lighter, shorter, faster, more agreesive handling (busier at speed).

The WR has more power (uncorked), more suspension, better feel overall, and is really well built (I've had mind down to the frame and back, and it's a big step up in build quality from previous year WR's)

The WR starts much better, is easier to tune, and feels 50 lbs lighter.

I have both bikes (mine is the FX) and my CRF450X with the R top end sits unridden most of the time...

from DW08:

Even with the stock components this bike is more powerful, responsive, lighter and handles so much better than my beloved CRF.

Exactly what I was hoping to learn, and a gracious act and reply Krannie, thank you both.

So...

I really hoped Honda would do a Yamaha WR450F equivalent bike this year, but it appears they won't.  The new RX looks closer to the YZ450FX than the WR450F.  I want the WR450F - lights and muffler and WR trans., enduro handling.   Easy to uncork as desired.  If the option was anything other than Yamaha I'd be having night sweats.  I've had Honda (& a HD or 2) since my first Super 90, long long ago.  But the Yamaha reputation is good plus we have Yamaha jet skis and they are excellent under hostile conditions and abusive use (kids).

Clearly I'm a geezer and maybe this will be my last bike.  Truth is I've probably no business on a 450, nor can I use one correctly anymore if I ever could, but I still love the power.  Maybe I should be looking at something like a Freeride, but the last 2-stroke I rode had such vibration I hated it, and I worry it won't have power to suit my jaded taste, spoiled by the 450X.  The lighter weight would be nice.

So for a new 450 I won't wait any longer, Yamaha it is.  They've made every change I can think of and I don't see how waiting on a vaporware Honda would gain anthing over the WR45F, assuming Honda does do the bike some year.  From the excellent sources above Yamaha is clearly enough improved over the 450X to make the change exciting.  

Visited the dealer with the Deals - darn if they didn't just sell the last one, but lookey here they have something I'm sure to like.  BS.  They never had it.  I'll find one soon and report back in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar boat.  I know I'm lucky that the cost isn't much concern to me.  

Thanks again.

Edited by gbw, August 11, 2016 - 11:39 AM.

• lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 12:36 PM

i too am thinking about switching to yamaha.  i had an 05 450x, then aprilia mxv450 and now looking at a 14 wr450f.

is the '14 wr450 the same bike as the '16?

the one i am looking at is "uncorked" with the yamaha performance ecu and muffler.  is there anything else i need to think of or consider doing to it?  what are common issues?

• Krannie McKranface
36,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 04:55 AM

i too am thinking about switching to yamaha.  i had an 05 450x, then aprilia mxv450 and now looking at a 14 wr450f.

the one i am looking at is "uncorked" with the yamaha performance ecu and muffler.  is there anything else i need to think of or consider doing to it?  what are common issues?

No.

The '12-'15 model is the 2008 motor with fuel injection added, all put in to a 2010 YZ250 frame and suspension.  It's a big jump over 2008-'11 models.

The '16 is 100% new and is another huge jump forward.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,222 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:45 AM

The 16 backwards motor is a big jump in the upper end power. However not everyone uses that power. 

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,222 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:48 AM

They don't look the same either. 2016_Yamaha-WR450F-02.jpg?3782202012WR4501.jpg

• Krannie McKranface
36,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 07:39 AM

They don't look the same either. 2016_Yamaha-WR450F-02.jpg?3782202012WR4501.jpg

Yeah the color is definetely different.

• YZ Yankee

Get Help Now

6,115 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 09:27 AM

That new blue looks like the old blue from 1999 and 2001.

• falconjet

TT Bronze Member

336 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 05:43 AM

I bought a new 05 450X back in 2006. Thought it was a great bike at the time.

Picked up a used 07 WR450 this year and am really impressed.

My Honda always felt heavy and never was really comfortable with the way it steered.

The WR feels much lighter and more nimble and steers way better than the X.

Have not ridden the newer WR's but can only imagine they are much more refined than my 07.

Don't think you would be disappointed. 

• lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 02:33 PM

why do they wrap the header all the way around the motor on the new model???  would it not make sense to have the exhaust go straight back?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,222 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 03:01 PM

why do they wrap the header all the way around the motor on the new model???  would it not make sense to have the exhaust go straight back?

Proper header length. The new wrap around is tucked in well.

• Krannie McKranface
36,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 03:34 PM

why do they wrap the header all the way around the motor on the new model??? would it not make sense to have the exhaust go straight back?

It does go back
It does not go front

• lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 04:41 PM

Proper header length. The new wrap around is tucked in well.

my feeble brain tells me that shorter is better.  quicker exit for exhaust, less piping which means less weight, less crap in the way when working on bike, less crap to have issues with, would look better going straight out the back, etc...  that said i hear about back pressure, flow, etc...  i hear about it but don't understand it, lol

• Krannie McKranface
36,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 06:54 PM

my feeble brain tells me that shorter is better.  quicker exit for exhaust, less piping which means less weight, less crap in the way when working on bike, less crap to have issues with, would look better going straight out the back, etc...  that said i hear about back pressure, flow, etc...  i hear about it but don't understand it, lol

The column of exhaust must resonate/pulse to improve scavenging (movement) of the gases out of the motor, AND help with intake. 

Too short and it will only be efficient at this at higher rpms

Too long and it will only do this at lower rpms

Varying pipe diameters can 'trick' the motor into thinking it's more than one length.

Resonators (power bomb) can also help with tuning in a way that does not require more pipe or diameter changes.

Pipe manufacturers typically design for their favorite characteristics.

EG: Dubach Racing typically like a flatter/wider powerband with slightly slower revs than stock on the top end for more consistent traction under full power

Procircuit goes for max hp and fastest rpm rise time (fast reving) for expert riders who can take advantage of the more aggressive power characteristics.

• gbw

TT Member

25 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:48 AM

Does anyone know where there is a competition kit (programmable ECU & throttle screw) that's actually available? Perhaps I'm looking int he wrong places but all I see is backordered. The dealer I bought the bike from ordered one but now claims that 'maybe' it will ship sometime in October! Aggravating!

Thanks

Eta - should have made it clear, kit 2gc-e9500-v0-00 for 2016 WR450F

Edited by gbw, September 15, 2016 - 06:28 AM.

• michale

TT Bronze Member

205 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 06:48 AM

Does anyone know where there is a competition kit (programmable ECU & throttle screw) that's actually available? Perhaps I'm looking int he wrong places but all I see is backordered. The dealer I bought the bike from ordered one but now claims that 'maybe' it will ship sometime in October! Aggravating!
Thanks
Eta - should have made it clear, kit 2gc-e9500-v0-00 for 2016 WR450F

Last time I was at Roseville Yamaha they had a couple on the shelf. Give them a call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.