stankin strategy

ok, it the rumors are true, I have to wonder....

was this his strategy all long ?

ride the smoker, get noticed, get a fan base, get on a factory 4t team. all within one year !?

so....2 stroke traitor, or one crafty bastard ?!

Not quite.  I think the 2st was more suited to certain tracks.  Now he is going to the 4 stroke for the extra grunt he needs.  He is not factory sponsored.   

I don't think the 2stroke had any chance to podium, ever...and no possible way on the tracks with long steep hills..

perhaps I took this stankin thing all wrong. I thought he was out there just to have more fun than any 4T guy....cause strangling a 125 is always more fun....

but if he is moving to a 4T, then the "need to win" bug has bit him...

so im in the 2 stroke traitor camp right now....

but still a fan for sure....

Edited by daled
  • Like 2

perhaps I took this stankin thing all wrong. I thought he was out there just to have more fun than any 4T guy.

That is my guess.

He could either be a struggling privateer on a 4T, or a struggling privateer on a 2T.

They both pay about the same, one is just way more cool.

• Like 1

I look at it like this. The guy found a way to get noticed with his image and smoker plus he's been giving one hell of an effort and putting on a show for the fans so if he gets a sponsor/bike which includes a 4T then good for him.

• Like 8

I think he found out at the level he wants to ride a 125 at, it's actually more expensive going through transmissions. I don't care what 125 you race at a high level. The trans goes out durring races with no warning. You can hit a neutral in any hear coming off a face and you will look like that broc dude that flung himself 120ft last year. I know from experience. You need a race team to run 125 at his level. Something he doesn't really have. Need to check tranny every moto or splat. Outterlimits is right. About 5 positions on avg. He might do better because of luck. Or him having a love for a certain track but avg 5 spots if any at all. Sometimes guys ride 2 strokes better than 4t. I seem to get on a 450 and ride it just like a 125. But I also get James stewarted off the bike more often than I'd like to admit. Hence all my severe injuries that I'm plagued with for the rest of my life. Stank might be like that too. He might end up on the ground more than he likes. Be good to see it live in 3 weeks that's fo sho!

• Like 1

I think he found out at the level he wants to ride a 125 at, it's actually more expensive going through transmissions. I don't care what 125 you race at a high level. The trans goes out durring races with no warning. You can hit a neutral in any hear coming off a face and you will look like that broc dude that flung himself 120ft last year. I know from experience. You need a race team to run 125 at his level. Something he doesn't really have. Need to check tranny every moto or splat. Outterlimits is right. About 5 positions on avg. He might do better because of luck. Or him having a love for a certain track but avg 5 spots if any at all. Sometimes guys ride 2 strokes better than 4t. I seem to get on a 450 and ride it just like a 125. But I also get James stewarted off the bike more often than I'd like to admit. Hence all my severe injuries that I'm plagued with for the rest of my life. Stank might be like that too. He might end up on the ground more than he likes. Be good to see it live in 3 weeks that's fo sho!

Wait, wuuuuuuut?  I don't remember dudes having problems blowing up transmissions when 125s were the only option in that class.  Need to check tranny every moto or splat?  Hitting neutral on a jump face?  Why are you in 1st gear going up a jump face?

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 4

Wait, wuuuuuuut? I don't remember dudes having problems blowing up transmissions when 125s were the only option in that class. Need to check tranny every moto or splat? Hitting neutral on a jump face? Why are you in 1st gear going up a jump face?[/quote they check every part in a 125 motor every race if your on a team. Yeah they blow constantly without top maint. I replace mine once a year or I will get hurt from it falling out of gear. No I'm in the upper gears most of the race. 3rd gear for tight turns. 2nd gear off the line. I never hit 6th on the tracks I race they aren't big like a national.

the only thing that is common, that the tranny blows :jawdrop:  more often then the 4t. 

• Like 1

Wait, wuuuuuuut? I don't remember dudes having problems blowing up transmissions when 125s were the only option in that class. Need to check tranny every moto or splat? Hitting neutral on a jump face? Why are you in 1st gear going up a jump face?

my phone screwed up

You don't know what I'm talking about. Race teams pull 125 motors apart after every moto to inspect and replace parts. You wouldn't see a pro break a transmission they are always checked before the races.

Yeah I'm in 1st gear all the time in the pits. And I do hit the jumps in first... First place.

• Like 3

the only thing that is common, that the tranny blows :jawdrop: more often then the 4t.

I race 125 for over a decade if I count all the years I wasnt racing a 450 or 250. No the transmission gets shifted 30-50 times per lap if your going fast and want to be in front of a 450. You can't always make positive shifts. It puts tons of wear on a 125 years since your tapped out 32hp or more when you engage. Just a fact I was trying to get across
  • Like 2

they check every part in a 125 motor every race if your on a team. Yeah they blow constantly without top maint. I replace mine once a year or I will get hurt from it falling out of gear. No I'm in the upper gears most of the race. 3rd gear for tight turns. 2nd gear off the line. I never hit 6th on the tracks I race they aren't big like a national.

Never heard of 125s being harder on gears than bigger bikes. Strange. Are you sure that you aren't limp wristing the shifts? Gotta bang that shifter hard like Joe Dirt bangin' his sister.

CR125s were known for breaking 1st gear, but only if you put in stiffer aftermarket clutch springs. The Honda springs were just the right rate to allow the clutch to slip when grabbing gears.

• Like 2

I race 125 for over a decade if I count all the years I wasnt racing a 450 or 250. No the transmission gets shifted 30-50 times per lap if your going fast and want to be in front of a 450. You can't always make positive shifts. It puts tons of wear on a 125 years since your tapped out 32hp or more when you engage. Just a fact I was trying to get across

the wrong tranny.. ?

• Like 2

Huh.  Sounds like something racers took for granted that for whatever reason I don't ever remember reading or hearing about.  I didn't grow up around MX racing though so it would have had to have been something I read.

Obviously a 125 gets shifted a lot more per lap, but I wouldn't think a constant mesh transmission would really give a &%$#@!.  

Do you mind if I start a new thread titled "Hey guys, I think phantom451 is full of shit" so we can discuss this further?  ?

• Like 3

Never heard of 125s being harder on gears than bigger bikes. Strange. Are you sure that you aren't limp wristing the shifts? Gotta bang that shifter hard like Joe Dirt bangin' his sister.

CR125s were known for breaking 1st gear, but only if you put in stiffer aftermarket clutch springs. The Honda springs were just the right rate to allow the clutch to slip when grabbing gears.

Yamaha s wear out every few races If your racing national tracks. It's the huge hills, deep track that puts a huge load on them. The transmission wears out just as fast as a cylinder imho. Kawi and suzi are very maint intensive to race. I raced yz'$ for the ease of holeshot. They are just as bad as the rest. Hondas were best of the bunch. Top guys ran Honda because the top end was easy to swap and the gears held for longer. Slow motors though. Top guys didn't need to have the most power though. Way back in 2000 they had handle bar ignition switches on the Hondas regularly to switch the map from one part of the track to another just for extra power on top or mid depending on switch position.

Ha I might be full of sh!+, but we're still trying to figure out what your full of. Lol

• Like 1

another free KTM

You know what is so damn comical about what you accuse KTM of doing? It was a rhetorical question so here's the answer. Take a look at the field of bikes in the MX game, I've added it up a few times this year and found more Yamaha's out there in both classes than other brands. My guess is there is every bit as many Yamaha (and likely other brands as well) out there on free bikes as KTM. Sorry but I'm calling full on bull shit with your theory. 

Wait, wuuuuuuut?  I don't remember dudes having problems blowing up transmissions when 125s were the only option in that class.  Need to check tranny every moto or splat?  Hitting neutral on a jump face?  Why are you in 1st gear going up a jump face?

I'm on my third transmission, third gear every time. The 200 is a bored and stroked 125, hop it up beyond that and you're really stressing those gears. You can find transmission easily for about a hundred bucks, 5 hours, a gasket kit, and you're good to go! 

Edit: I'm a two stroke guy, but long before I'd blame Steinke for being a traitor I'd salute him for giving it the go he has. He had the name, he was able to ride, and he gave us all the best damn 2 stroke show we've seen in years. Hat's off Steinke, I freakin hope you put a beat down on some factory riders out there on your Privateer Husky!

Edited by Squid_Racer
  • Like 3