Lights on the 450 FX

23 replies to this topic
  • motocrotts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Can;t seem to find any info on this.  Has anyone connected a set of lights on their 450 yet.  I've so far installed a fan and found another plug on the rear that looks like it goes to a rear tail light.  Nothing on the front that seems it's good for a headlight.  Anybody done this yet?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 24, 2016 - 04:39 PM

Can;t seem to find any info on this.  Has anyone connected a set of lights on their 450 yet.  I've so far installed a fan and found another plug on the rear that looks like it goes to a rear tail light.  Nothing on the front that seems it's good for a headlight.  Anybody done this yet?

Working on it.

I too have found the tailight plug, and will cut into it to add a hydralic brake light switch. 

Purchased all the OEM parts to install it too.

I have installed the oem WR head light assembly, but have not worked on finding the harness. It is supposed to be there, but not at the steering head; under the seat.

20160721_160750_zpsvw94l0dk.jpg

Edited by KRANNIE, July 24, 2016 - 04:40 PM.

• Nick450X

Posted July 25, 2016 - 07:10 AM

Krannie

Is Pacific audiolabs your company ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 25, 2016 - 07:54 AM

Krannie

Is Pacific audiolabs your company ?

Yessir

• cowboyona426

Posted July 25, 2016 - 07:55 AM

I don't know what others have done but I was going to steal power from the GYTR tuner plug, I bought the connector to plug right in.

Edited by cowboyona426, July 25, 2016 - 07:56 AM.

• keeseckb

Posted July 25, 2016 - 03:05 PM

I bought the Baja Designs Squadron Pro and hooked it directly to the battery with this switch/harness kit from Baja Designs.

I don't know how to or if there is a way to plug into the existing harness for lights. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160628_205853.jpg

Edited by keeseckb, July 25, 2016 - 03:07 PM.

• David McDirt

Posted July 25, 2016 - 03:42 PM

I don't know what others have done but I was going to steal power from the GYTR tuner plug, I bought the connector to plug right in.

Let us know how it works

• moonbeam1719

Posted July 26, 2016 - 12:31 PM

I run a yz 450f as a snowbike and have hand warmers and a led headlight running off the tuner plug....the light flickers a bit with both on at idle but as soon as you give it some revs it's good..no issues and that's on a 450f not a fx.

• Not sponsored

Posted July 26, 2016 - 03:13 PM

I have the stock wr head/tail light on my fx, I modified an old baja designs harness that came of a Ktm I believe. I wired it straight to the battery, can't really comment on how well it performs, it only needed to work once to get a plate.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2016 - 08:11 PM

I can't figure it out.

I can't find any un-used plugs in the harness accept for relay plugs for the optional fan.

It is 'supposed' to be the same wiring harness as the WR....but I don't think so.

Can I run the headlight right off the battery without issue?

It's only for DOT compliance, not for actual use.

I would just put in a micro switch and a relay for the headlight, and connect it directly.

Then for the rear running oem light, a relay that triggers when the motor is running to create the running light, and then wire in the third wire in the WR harness to a hydralic switch and to the relay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted July 30, 2016 - 03:57 AM

I can't figure it out.
I can't find any un-used plugs in the harness accept for relay plugs for the optional fan.
It is 'supposed' to be the same wiring harness as the WR....but I don't think so.

Can I run the headlight right off the battery without issue?
It's only for DOT compliance, not for actual use.

I would just put in a micro switch and a relay for the headlight, and connect it directly.

Then for the rear running oem light, a relay that triggers when the motor is running to create the running light, and then wire in the third wire in the WR harness to a hydralic switch and to the relay.

Yeah it must be a different wire harness. My 16 WR has the headlight wiring in the front wire harness. It is not a pig tail it is actually taped and wired into the front harness.
However it must go to one of the relays on the back fender. The headlight comes on after the bike starts. The taillight and fan are on a different relay they stay on for a minute after the bike shuts off.
When I looked at your bike the other day it appeared you have the same relays as the WR. Your inner rear fender looks full of relays, I didn't see any empty spaces. The relays should be to be identified in the shop manual.
Maybe there is a headlight relay? The fan wires should be the same as for the taillight.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 30, 2016 - 05:20 AM

I've been looking at the manual, and I am just starting to decipher it.

I don't have relays with any 'lighting' designation, just starter and FI components.

• stevethe

Posted July 30, 2016 - 05:50 AM

Hum I have at least three of them on the rear fender. Most look the same however the wire harness is marked with different colored factory tape to identify there differences.

• stevethe

Posted July 30, 2016 - 05:59 AM

My manual lists number 6 as a headlight relay. The fan relay is also listed and I asumme that is the tailight relay as well.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 30, 2016 - 06:18 AM

My manual list relay #6 as the 'main relay', on the 'Electric Starting' schematic page (and on every other schematic).

On the control side it is connected to the Neutral swtich, starter switch, clutch switch, and a diode'd line going to the ECU.

On the back bone side it goes to the starter components, battery, and main fuse.

On the other side of the back bone, it is wired goes to un-named areas:

It travels to 'joint connector's # 1, #2, and #3. 

None of these are connected to anything, in any of the (5) separate schematics.

Do any of those three 'joint connectors'  connect to 'lighting ' on your schematics ?

• stevethe

Posted July 30, 2016 - 06:24 AM

I'm not sure. But if it doesn't have the separate lighting relay. You could buy it and connect it or do it the simple way and go right from the battery.

• Summit

Posted July 30, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Sounds like a good opportunity for an aftermarket product here. I hope it won't be too long. I want an fx with lights!

• stevethe

Posted July 30, 2016 - 07:40 AM

Sounds like a good opportunity for an aftermarket product here. I hope it won't be too long. I want an fx with lights!

It's not a big deal. RMATV has a Tusk wire harness for lights. Getting the power to the headlight shouldn't be hard. https://m.youtube.co...h?v=_DoJ7IpImKU

• GHILL28

Posted July 30, 2016 - 02:29 PM

The BD Squadron is a pretty awesome unit.  It has a cable that connects between the capacitor and....I forget what else.  Reg/rect maybe.  It runs off DC power downstream from the conversion in the reg/rect somewhere.

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2016 - 06:35 AM

In any of the YZF-FX-WR models that I have seen, the red wired circuit is battery + throughout the harness.  So long as you tap into battery + at a point with a large enough wire gauge to power the lamp (18 ga should be plenty), it ought to work, it would seem to me.  You would obviously need a switch.  I don't have a current WR schematic, but the non-EFI models ran the headlight direct from the stator off of AC, no relays involved. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.