Counter balance noise after rebuild

4 replies to this topic
  • Aztechooligan

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:54 AM

My engine went on my 2005 450 a few months back. I replaced the transmission, crank, and counterbalance bearings. It totalled my head, piston, and cylinder.

Checked for run out on the crank and it seemed okay so I reused it. I just put my case halves back together and when I spin the crank it spins freely, but my counterbalance gear makes a clunk sound on each rotation. There is no play in the bearing up and down, but I can move the gear from side to side and there is some play.

Ive been scratching my head trying to figure this out, I took video of the noise I will be posting to youtube in a bit.

Any ideas of what I should look for?

Here is the link:

Edited by Aztechooligan, July 19, 2016 - 07:05 AM.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted July 19, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Just finished my rebuild, was just in there. Sure doesn't sound like a sound from that counter balancer. Somthing loose or I your mag side kissing that weight ?..... May have to pull that out to inspect the bearing,, but don't sound like a bearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aztechooligan

Posted July 19, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Just finished my rebuild, was just in there. Sure doesn't sound like a sound from that counter balancer. Somthing loose or I your mag side kissing that weight ?..... May have to pull that out to inspect the bearing,, but don't sound like a bearing.

I dont think it is the bearing, it only makes that noise with the counterbalance installed. No flywheel on it yet. Definitly caused by it, but maybe when I install the flywheel and waterpump impeller/sidecase it will smooth out?

• ttreewalkerr

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:01 PM

Might be ok,, the gear could be clashing into each other,, once you get the other gear against the crank gear the tolerance from other side of crank may hold it all together. I never spun mine that fast during assembly.

Edited by ttreewalkerr, July 19, 2016 - 06:03 PM.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:02 PM

I put all new bearings in there when I had it cracked, including balancer bearings.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.