Broken tank question

Question for people who have broken tanks. How do you notice it's broken, the odor of gas or does it leak bad enough to have liquid running onto the motor?

When I sit on my seat now I can smell gas. Strong enough to smell it when I'm sitting still outside at the track. However I have been unable to find any liquid gas dripping down under the tank. I suspect the vent hose check valve may not be closing all of the way and letting some vapor out, but I wanted to find out how the leaks started in other cases.

Thanks!

Take your seat off. In the rear of the tank where it goes over the frame rail you'll probably find two hairline cracks starting. They wont be very big maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch each. I've had two tanks crack there.

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: MXOldtimer ]

hey matt, if its not leaking, the tank on our bikes is thin enough to flex(yamaha's idea of how to save weight), which will push vapor out the breather tube. Scary huh? I was told that by a reputable Yamaha shop up this way.

I thought about the padding thing too, but I'm sure its a weak tank thing, more than hitting the frame. I have broken two OEM tanks, now have a Clarke, its going on 3 months now, which is longer than the second OEM one lasted. Where mine cracked the tank doesnt touch anything, which leads me to believe its flexing around the frame too much.

Originally posted by thumper4life:

wouldnt putting a very thin piece of padding on the rail or gluing it to where the tank rests on the rail stop this from happening

The problem comes from the seat base sitting on the tank. When your sitting all the way forward on the seat, for turns and whatever and hitting bumps all your weight is resting on the outer edges of the tank pressing it down & in causing the stress cracks.

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: MXOldtimer ]