1.9 Million Acres in SE Utah (NEAR MOAB) Threatened by Monument Designation

Fellow OHVers, I am asking for your help in preventing a monument designation in San Juan County, Utah. The proposed monument would lock us out of 1.9 million acres of public lands (3,000 square miles). I am an avid dirt biker and as such I ask for your support in opposing the designation of the Bears Ears National monument. We are a stones throw from Moab, Utah and hundreds of miles of single/two track are at stake. We don't want/need to lose more trails and us locals have far more at stake than just the recreational aspect of a monument designation. Please go here and sign the petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/doodah-no-bears-ears-national-monument

I am going to cross post this on other forums (including the land use/legislation forum) as well. Please sign the petition and get the word out. Thanks for all your help!

edit: I just noticed that on the petition it states that there will be increased access. This doesn't pertain to motorized trails. It simply means that there will be an increase in tourist traffic to the existing roads and all the trash and vandalism that comes with them. I just wanted to clarify that line because the wording is confusing.

• Like 1

Yep, I've been following this, too. The antis are trying to get Obama to use the Antiquities Act for another huge illegal land grab like the Grand Staircase Escalante Monument Clinton illegally designated. The OP is absolutely right, OHV access is threatened again.

Update: An email concerning the Public Lands Initiative was sent from the ARRA. The public lands Initiative is an attempt at resolving public land use dilemmas in SE Utah and while not perfect, it's a much better endgame than a monument designation. The Blue Ribbon Coalition has also played an active role in the development of the PLI.

Here's a copy of the text of the email sent from the ARRA:

Utah Public Lands Initiative Legislation Introduced -- Urge the President to Avoid Massive Monument Designation in Favor of Letting the Legislative Process Work

Send an email to the President and Interior Secretary in Support of Locally Developed Solutions to Public Lands Management

Representatives Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz have formally introduced legislation, H.R. 5781, to provide for the future management of 18 million acres of public lands in Eastern Utah.  The legislation was developed through an ambitious effort to bring resolution to some of the most challenging land disputes in Utah.  The Utah Public Lands Initiative brought together over 120 different advocacy groups, businesses and land organizations - representing the entire spectrum of policy and political viewpoints - that have an interest in the management of public lands in Eastern Utah. The result is legislation that will protect massive areas of public lands, while providing access to responsible multiple uses including recreation.

On Saturday, July 18, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell and other prominent public lands officials hosted a public meeting to discuss the legislation and the possible Administrative designation of National Monuments in the area.  While Jewell said there are no imminent plans to make such a designation, it is important that she and the President hear from you that the correct path forward is the collaboratively developed legislation – not a one-size-fits all designation of monuments that will ultimately lead to reduced access for recreation.

For specific information about the bill and the process through which it was developed, visit this website.

Even if you don’t live or recreate in Utah it is important to have your voice heard.  Representatives Bishop and Chaffetz have worked long and hard to develop legislation that reflects the will of the local constituencies – it would be inappropriate for the President to circumvent this process by imposing massive monument designations.  Should the Administration move forward with a designation despite the fact that there is pending legislation it would be a terrible precedent and an ominous sign for other areas in the country being considered for Monument designation.

Here's the take action link: http://www.arra-access.com/action/?vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f47402%2frespond

I encourage (and will deeply appreciate) all to take action against this monumental (pun intended) land grab. I am truly grateful to all who have signed the petition and sent emails to the decision maker(s).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is the action I took:

Utah Public Lands Initiative Legislation Introduced -- Urge the President to Avoid Massive Monument Designation in Favor of Letting the Legislative Process Work

Send an email to the President and Interior Secretary in Support of Locally Developed Solutions to Public Lands Management

Representatives Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz have formally introduced legislation, H.R. 5781, to provide for the future management of 18 million acres of public lands in Eastern Utah. The legislation was developed through an ambitious effort to bring resolution to some of the most challenging land disputes in Utah. The Utah Public Lands Initiative brought together over 120 different advocacy groups, businesses and land organizations - representing the entire spectrum of policy and political viewpoints - that have an interest in the management of public lands in Eastern Utah. The result is legislation that will protect massive areas of public lands, while providing access to responsible multiple uses including recreation.

On Saturday, July 18, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell and other prominent public lands officials hosted a public meeting to discuss the legislation and the possible Administrative designation of National Monuments in the area. While Jewell said there are no imminent plans to make such a designation, it is important that she and the President hear from you that the correct path forward is the collaboratively developed legislation – not a one-size-fits all designation of monuments that will ultimately lead to reduced access for recreation.

For specific information about the bill and the process through which it was developed, visit this website.

Even if you don’t live or recreate in Utah it is important to have your voice heard. Representatives Bishop and Chaffetz have worked long and hard to develop legislation that reflects the will of the local constituencies – it would be inappropriate for the President to circumvent this process by imposing massive monument designations. Should the Administration move forward with a designation despite the fact that there is pending legislation it would be a terrible precedent and an ominous sign for other areas in the country being considered for Monument designation.

Take Action Now