Oil cooler for 04 YZ450

4 replies to this topic
  • V8Astro

Posted July 16, 2016 - 10:56 PM

I've been lurking about trying to find ways of keeping my YZ cooler. I run a lithium battery for lighting. Getting a radiator fan complicates that.

I want to build my own oil cooler. I have access to hydraulic hose fab equipment. The only thing I'm not sure of is where do I get oil pressure from and where do I return the cooled oil?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:48 AM

That motor holds plenty of oil, so  cooler won't drop the oil temp signifiganlty.

On the Honda's you only get 650cc of oil inside the motor, so an oil cooler increases capacity and keeps it cooler.

You could adapt the Quad YZF oil system parts to your YZ, with some effort....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:18 AM

The problem in the first place is the cooling your oil won't really cool the engine significantly, just the oil, and there's no real evidence that the engine oil gets dangerously hot on most YZ450's.

What's your situation, what symptoms are you seeing?

• V8Astro

Posted July 17, 2016 - 09:26 AM

No symptoms. I'm looking for another option to help keep the engine cooler

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:13 PM

Well, it would be easy on the '04 ('98-'05 included) because of the external oil lines.  You would pick up the return oil line from the left side of the engine and install the cooler between the engine and frame in that line.  Be sure the cooler tubing is 5mm larger than the tubing that feeds into it so as to reduce the load on the pump.

Still, in the end, while the oil will be a little cooler, the engine won't really be any cooler for it to speak of.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.