Where is the cheapest place to buy factory oil filters?

9 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR

Posted July 16, 2016 - 09:30 AM

I have used the Yamaha filter, 5D3-13440-09, the whole time I've owned my WR450, and am about to order a few more. Boats.net is normally my go-to, but I just found Yamahapartspro.com, and they are $.64 cheaper per filter. While I don't really care about 64 cents, I do care about 10% cheaper, and it works out to $6.92 a filter. Anybody find them cheaper?

One thing I'll really consider before this purchase is buying the Scotts filter. It's $69.95, 10 oil changes at the price above, which I will probably do before the end of the year on that bike. Added bonus is it carries forward to what will definitely be my next bike, the YZ450FX. I probably just derailed my own thread, but curious to see where most people get their oil filters.

• stevethe

Posted July 16, 2016 - 10:42 AM

I don't use the s.s. or factory filters. I get the Hi Flow Fltro brand in multiples from whoever on eBay. http://www.motorcycl...CFQmRaQodllQEyg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 16, 2016 - 03:46 PM

^^^ that

SS is a pain to clean, and actually passes more debris than paper.

If you don't change your oil often, it has a minor advantage of passing more oil when equally dirty, but if you change your oil every 15 hours or less, it's not an issue.

But either filter, if totally neglected, will trigger filter bypass anyway...

The Hiflow's are built better than OEM and cost less

I have seen old OEM's actually come un-glued....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 16, 2016 - 04:03 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...YZU~Z6j&vxp=mtr

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 16, 2016 - 04:57 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...YZU~Z6j&vxp=mtr

Excellent, thanks a lot for the leads on those and advice. I've got 10 x HF140s headed my way at $3 a piece...not too bad at all.

Total side note, Krannie - I got a good ride in today and swapped out with my buddy who just bought an '07 CRF450X. Stock (and likely even unserviced) suspension, Hot Cams 'R' cam, and we cleaned the carb, replaced all the jets and added Tokyo Mods stuff.
I like the feel of that bike, way more moto and light-steering than my '11 WR without being unstable at all. The engine is definitely strong and makes the chassis/handling feel even lighter. Where my WR front end pushes a lot, forcing me to slide and steer with the rear wheel, the X turns. This is in the woods on sand or at best very sandy soil that ruts up very quickly and also long stretches of rutted up two-track deep sand roads. I was impressed. Suspension nowhere near as good as my SSS forks and gold-valved shock, but he's got a very good starting point. He's probably going to send the suspension off somewhere soon - he was thinking Pro Circuit. I know they do a lot of Honda X stuff. Also, I can see what you meant by WR rides over terrain, X rides through it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted July 16, 2016 - 09:03 PM

My sons has a crf250x. The chassis on the Honda is really good . When I ride his bike, I feel so stable, I feel like I can't wreak. It's easy to ride.

• shrubitup

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Another +1 for the 450X :busted:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Hear that Honda?

We like your bike design and handling, now update it already...

I've bought 2 KTM's, A BETA, 3 WR's, and recently a YZFX all in the time I've owned the X, and I now ride the X, the least, but still love if for the wide open desert.

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 17, 2016 - 11:40 AM

His doesn't even have a steering stabilizer and it felt solid in the sand in 5th gear WOT, yet still turned well in the woods, and we haven't even set the sag for him yet. It's going to be great when the suspension is done - I told him fresh fluids, the right springs, and proper sag and he'll be very close to where he needs to be. Front brakes weren't bad, either. Bike is completely stock minus the cam, dual sport kit, and a FMF slip on. This is his first dirt bike - finally gave in after years of me making fun of him for riding a quad.

• Chaconne

Posted July 18, 2016 - 05:48 PM

His doesn't even have a steering stabilizer and it felt solid in the sand in 5th gear WOT, yet still turned well in the woods, and we haven't even set the sag for him yet. It's going to be great when the suspension is done - I told him fresh fluids, the right springs, and proper sag and he'll be very close to where he needs to be. Front brakes weren't bad, either. Bike is completely stock minus the cam, dual sport kit, and a FMF slip on. This is his first dirt bike - finally gave in after years of me making fun of him for riding a quad.

Good job on the quad "conversion" that ain't easy these days. :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.