What does the hot start lever do

4 replies to this topic
  • going up

Posted July 15, 2016 - 01:18 PM

I have heard several different things. I have a wr450. Can someone explain exactly what the hot start lever is doing and why you would use it.

• Borgschulze

Posted July 15, 2016 - 03:39 PM

Leans the fuel mixture.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 15, 2016 - 04:10 PM

I have heard several different things. I have a wr450. Can someone explain exactly what the hot start lever is doing and why you would use it.

The hot start is there to inject air into the intake and make it abruptly leaner, so a hot motor has less difficulty starting after stalling when hot.

When you motor is running, if you gently pull on the hot start, the rpms go up.

If when releasing the hot start the rpms stay up, that means you need to service the cable and the hot start plunger for lack of lubrication or corrosion.

It is also the primarly source for troublesome air leaks....

• going up

Posted July 15, 2016 - 04:50 PM

Great explanation. Makes senes. Thanks

• bobpara

Posted July 18, 2016 - 04:37 PM

Such a perfect explanation Krannie.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.