- - - - -

04 wr 450f clutch not disengaging

• Please sign in to reply

26 replies to this topic
  • WRfinatic

TT Member

60 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 06:51 AM

The notches are enough the cause lurching with the clutch pulled in, the plates wont separate in there are ANY grooves in the basket. Look on the right side of the picture he took of the basket, you can clearly see the ridges worn in

• WRfinatic

TT Member

60 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 06:55 AM

""It takes very deep notches to hinder with the clutch disengagement, and even then it will alwasy disengage.....""

This is just plain incorrect information

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 05, 2016 - 03:02 PM

""It takes very deep notches to hinder with the clutch disengagement, and even then it will alwasy disengage.....""

This is just plain incorrect information

No, it's not incorrect.

What you are trying to say is that the plates can stick in place due to the notches.

This has NOTHING to do with the clutch disengaging.

Unless parts are missing or the cable is broken, the clutch will disengage even if the fiber plates get stuck against the basket.

They still slide against the steel once the springs are overcome.

What you are trying to say is that the plates will not fully SEPARATE because of the notches. 

Even this is not going to make much of a difference as say a warped steel for clutch feel, until the notches get large enough to hold the plates and cause them to 'judder' when you use the clutch.

You can argue all you want, but you are confused.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 05, 2016 - 03:04 PM

The notches are enough the cause lurching with the clutch pulled in, the plates wont separate in there are ANY grooves in the basket. Look on the right side of the picture he took of the basket, you can clearly see the ridges worn in

Ridiculous. That would mean that every two stroke in the nation has a bad clutch.

Those notches are tiny and will make a minor change in modulation and feel.

• WRfinatic

TT Member

60 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 03:17 PM

I would file the basket first, does not cost anything, no parts to wait for in the mail. If that does not fix it then order new plates

I have had to file or replace 4 clutch baskets over the years with the same wear on the basket as shown in his pics. You think its warped plates, I think its the basket causing the issue. Well we are all here to help, I am not going to argue I think we both have good points. Peer speculation at this point unless we could inspect the plates and basket in our own hands over a couple of cold ones  :thumbsup:

• WRfinatic

TT Member

60 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 03:24 PM

This is the area of the basket from his pic that I am concerned with, the clutch plate ears could be worn in also...

Attached Thumbnails

• clutch.JPG

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Ok, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this i've been really busy with school. I sanded the steel disc's with some 800 grit paper reinstalled the clutch and after some issues the clutch works good and shifts smoothly now.  Unfortunately my bike hates me now, a couple days later after install I charged the battery and when I went to start it with the electric starter it was making a fast harsh thickiting noise unlike the normal starting sound. I then started it with the kick start and it started up and idled fine, As soon as I pulled in the clutch it shut off like somebody hit the kill switch, I started it again and when I put it in first it shut off again. This keeps happening to me its completely random and I have no idea whats causing it, it seems to be more likely at low speeds (it runs good at higher speeds but has some popping) and I have tried to give it some gas and it still dies on me sometimes. I am terrified to ride it now as I tried to cross a moderately busy intersection in my neighborhood as I was test riding it and it totally shut off about 1/3 of the way across and I almost got nailed by multiple cars. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.