Street legal wiring 2016 WR450

9 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted July 14, 2016 - 05:11 AM

Time to add license plate holder. Pictured is the RYCO aluminuim plate holder I like to use. The fender is drilled through the fender with button head allens. Next picture is the Tusk wire harness, Tusk flush mount rears, Tusk led flasher and DMP flush mount front turn signals.
image_zpsmx8qgjfy.jpeg
image_zpsohyyr3qa.jpeg

• stevethe

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:04 AM

Even a RMATV video for those that might want to watch. But the wire diagram is all I go by as its pretty straight foward and all I am using the harness for is turn signals. The headlight and brake light are already hooked up.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=_DoJ7IpImKU

• Borgschulze

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:08 AM

I've got the Tusk kit on my 04, works great.

Man those new bikes look so awesome, I want one.

• stevethe

Posted July 23, 2016 - 03:58 PM

The Tusk wire harness only mates up nice to the Tusk turn signal switch. All works well so far.

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:34 PM

I wired it up to my buddy's K&S dual sport switch on his Honda X and it wasn't nice, you're right. It's too bad Tusk runs the switch assembly they do (i use it); there are much nicer options out there. But their stuff is super easy to work with, decent quality, and priced well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:38 PM

The Tusk wire harness only mates up nice to the Tusk turn signal switch. All works well so far.

Yeah I think I meant to say if you buy just the $29.Tusk wire harness the plug mates to their plastic turn signal switch.

• stevethe

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:41 PM

I wired it up to my buddy's K&S dual sport switch on his Honda X and it wasn't nice, you're right. It's too bad Tusk runs the switch assembly they do (i use it); there are much nicer options out there. But their stuff is super easy to work with, decent quality, and priced well.

Most of the dual sport kits I've worked with use a nearly similar plastic switch.

Is there a much better source or are you talking about OEM street bike switches.

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Most of the dual sport kits I've worked with use a nearly similar plastic switch.

Is there a much better source or are you talking about OEM street bike switches.

Yep, I doubt Tusk actually makes the one we're mostly familiar with since it does come from lots of vendors. They one I'm talking about is this guy:
https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B0031BI23W

I made it work with the Tusk wiring harness and it is a top quality piece of equipment, very OEM-like. The one I've got (Tusk) is pretty chintzy in comparison. Does the job fine, but not as nice.

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yeah I think I meant to say if you buy just the $29.Tusk wire harness the plug mates to their plastic turn signal switch.

Yeah, I got that - it's plug and play. I was trying to say making it work with it the other harness was "not nice" - really just a lot of splicing and a little bit of guess work.

• stevethe

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Yep, I doubt Tusk actually makes the one we're mostly familiar with since it does come from lots of vendors. They one I'm talking about is this guy:https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B0031BI23W
I made it work with the Tusk wiring harness and it is a top quality piece of equipment, very OEM-like. The one I've got (Tusk) is pretty chintzy in comparison. Does the job fine, but not as nice.

Ah yes. I have one of those on my 450 street supermoto. It came with the Baja Designs kit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.