Hard Starting WR 450f (2003) when warm

I have got a 2003 WR 450f.  When I am out riding and it is warm it can be difficult to start.  Using the electric start, sometimes it starts right up. Other times it seems to take a lot of cranking to start it up.   I use the hot-start lever and that sometimes seems to help but not always. 

Seems like if it doesn't start on the 1st try, it takes quite a bit to get it going. 

Any ideas on what would be causing this?

2 question or thoughts:

1.  How would I go about testing the 'hot start' lever to verify it is working properly?

2.  Could this be a carburetor issue?  I bought the bike last year and have not had the carburetor apart yet.  Could it be a cleaning issue? or an adjustment issue?

I'm not an expert, but here's the 3 things I would do if it was my bike that i just purchased.

1. Clean the carb.  You can get the gaskets for $20 if you buy the gasket kit from honda.  Take a look at honda part # 16010-MEB-671

2. Get the JD Jet Kit & fuel screw.  I've had 2 WR's that were a pain to start until I got the JD Jet Kit.  They consistently start first kick after I installed the JD Jet kit.

3. Check the valves.  Hard starting can be caused by valves that are out of spec.

Thanks guys. Markjo2013, I will give that a try with pulling the hot start while it is running.

Sounds like a carb rebuild is in order and that never hurts.

Krannie, I am not on this site much, where do I find that FAQ info?

Can anyone explain exactly what that hot start lever is doing