1997 DR200SE Supermoto / Motard build.

Picked up this turd for my wife to ride.

Thing was beat up pretty bad- needs a good amount of work- i bought it not running but the price was right so i can afford to throw a little money at it.

It has an issue with the carb, i bet i got a gallon of gasoline out of the crank case when i drained the oil. The swingarm is broken right where the rear axle goes through, the rear brake linkage is twisted like a pretzel, the brake actuator lever is missing, both wheels are bent pretty good, the tank has a pretty big dent in it, someone spray bombed it blue, then black and never masked anything off and the rear running light has a short. -

23312_zpszxnysiex.jpeg

Edited by knuckleduster271

So the plan is to: first- get the motor running(done: got it running after i drained the gas/oil from the crankcase) fix all the bs issues, make it a little more aesthetically appealing and fit some 17" wheels to the stock hubs.

Second order of business was to fix the dent in the tank- i took 5 gallons of gas anf cleaned all of the spray bomb and over spray off the bike-

0710161400_zpsnwsyof6a.jpg

0710161818a_zpsk7wj4xau.jpg

Welded some studs in anf pulled the dent out-mostly-

0710161830_zpss8hwnhpe.jpg

After some duraglass and bondo

0710162042_zps4kx1mkml.jpg

Gonna be a few days before i get the tank done- soo off to the next step.

I absolutely hate the rear fender on this bike- there's no room in the budget for a nicer looking one or time to try and retrofit it so i decided to hack the original.

0711162125_zpsqtnvw1or.jpg

I had a polisport led brake / tail light unused from a previous project so i figured id put it to good use.

0712160401_zpsxzpstk1q.jpg

0712160401a_zpsygwmwb1l.jpg

The front fender wasnt much more appealing and i wanted to remove the factory headlight and brackets so i could mount a nicer lamp as well. i had a white Supermoto style fender laying around so i decided to mount it while i was at it and remove the ugly fork boots.

0712160401b_zpsnl1b81g9.jpg

0712160401c_zpspame0k72.jpg

The previous owner gave me two sets of ebay signals when i bought the bike so i figured no was as good a time as ever to mount them up since the stockers were mia

0712160401d_zps7hicrk7o.jpg

Not entirely surevwhats going on here- looks like a whole tube of silicone on the valve cover in effort to stop an oil leak.

0709161851_zpsz1vit1or.jpg

I get it apart, i noticed two bolt holes filled with silicone- evidently they lost the rocker shaft bolts and decided blue silicone is just as good. Smh...

0710160107_zpsrjbxt7bw.jpg

Finally got that mess cleaned up and the valves in spec. I think i found out why thy used the silicone- ive looked high and low for a rocker cover gasket for this thing and it appears there is none. I know ill be a little more conservative with the gasket maker than they were.

0712161401b_zpsclzwhrso.jpg

0712161401c_zpsgkyjzhzc.jpg

I had some 1 1/8" renthal twin walls laying around that came stock on my wr. I bought some pro taper mounts to adapt the larger bars. For $35 these thing are of great quality- i had to drill out the sleeves in the triple clamp rubber mounts to make them work- other than that the went on without issue.

0713161300_zpsdrvwtwro.jpg

Someone along the line thought it would be a great idea to epoxy the grip to the throttle tube. I think they used jb weld honestly - it toom surgical precision with a wire wheel to remove it without hurting the plastic tube.

0713161619_zps8uzyflrf.jpg

Bars mounted with new grips installed

0713161707_zpsnhfjgdxp.jpg

Had a chance to get a little more work done.

One of my shipments from rocky mountain came in which included a polisport halo headlight. I gotta say it absolutely did wonders for the looks of this bike.

0717162055_zpsw5j21b9p.jpg

0715162154a_zpsyto9rnxq.jpg

I got the rear signals wired up and mounted, the trimmed fender put on and painted the rear grab bar.

0717162056a_zpsnxzpkkdl.jpg

There was a bolt broken in the right side seat mount. At first i tried drilling and easy outing it but it wasnt coming out.

I chose to just cut the mount from the frame and weld in a nut that was the same thread pitch as what was on there.

0717162059_zpsefvkpnia.jpg.

I got a package i ordered- from ebay friday, to my disappointment it wasnt the swingarm i ordered. The seller had a mix up and sent me one to an xr650l. The guy was really cool about. Shipping was prepaid to send the xr650 swingarm back, he gave me a full refund and sent the right one out to me Saturday morning free of charge.

The missing top motor mount came in as well and i also made up a bracket to mount a horn that was previously mia.

0717162118_zpsilbucqat.jpg

I won a brand new warp 9 17x3.50 hoop on eBay pretty cheap- it came Saturday.

0717162116_zpspro4feqk.jpg

I managed to get the old rim apart without hurting any of the spokes or nipples.

Just waiting on Buchanan to get my custom spokes done and ill be lacing up some wheels.

0717162116a_zpsfevcydmx.jpg

I got the new swinger, brake linkage and a few other small odds and ends done yesterday.

Still waiting on Buchanan to ship my spokes.

In the mean time im trying to figure out what i want to do for an exhaust.

A slip on system is close to $300- im not really trying to spend that kind of money on this thing- as it sits om going to have less than a grand in the bike start to finish- mainly because ive used alot of stuff ive had leftover from other projects and spare parts that were given to me.

With that said i have a danmoto slip on that i bought for my wr- i wasnt impressed with it so its been sitting in the garage collecting dust. I got a 2nd mid pipe for it under warranty because one of the mount tabs had broken on the original.

I mocked up the exhaust and it seems like it could fit with a little effort -although its about 10 mm larger in diameter than the factory head pipe.

Since i have a junk mid pipe im going to make an attempt at fitting it to this bike by bottle necking the broken mid pipe to the factory header. Not sure how well it will do performance wise being so much larger but the price is right and its worth a shot.

0721160018c_zpszvkezwgv.jpg

0721160102b_zpsgooobazu.jpg

0721160018b_zpswuxydnsm.jpg

I got the carb off last night and gave it a much needed cleaning. I removed the airbox lid altogether and am going to be using the yz pipe so i figured id do some tuning on it to hopefully get me in thae ball park.

I decided to go up on the main jet from a 125 to a 127.5 and on the pilot from 35 to a 37.5 as well as shim the needle a bit.

I dont expect it to be perfect but it should get me somewhere close to where i need to be.

The screws that hold the gloat bowl and slide plate on were stuck in there pretty good- i doubt id be able to remove them again if i reused them.

I have a fastener supplier pretty close to my home so i decided to pick up some stainless hex screws to replace them with.

0727161528_zpspezxvl1e.jpg

0727160111_zpswr7mtep8.jpg

0727161540_zpsprz0bcqg.jpg

0727161543_zpsi3jbmiui.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Front wheel laced and trued to the stock hub. I was worried that a 3.50 rim would be too big so i held off ordering the rear thinking i may have to use the 3.50 rim on the rear if there were clearance issues.

Fits nice- rear 4.25 is on order, shpuld be here in a few days then ill get to lacing it it up to to the rear hub.

0814162028_zpsm73pjaoz.jpg

0815162329_zpstlnd2o6l.jpg

Just saw this, what a great build. I have a 92 DR650 and my son has a 90 DR250, we are looking at some mods similar to yours. These pics are super helpful!

How do you get your graphics made? Can you share your vendor? I need some tank graphics done too.

Thanks! Was beginning to wonder if anyone even looked at this thread.

My graphics are done at mid ohio graphics in Ashland ohio. Hes done alot of stuff for me and its always top notch.

Heres a set that he did for my 450

1226150040b_zpsfgk7zgyo.jpg

How do you get your graphics made? Can you share your vendor? I need some tank graphics done too.