YZ426....Can it be started easily?

30 replies to this topic
  • FSA909

Posted December 09, 2004 - 07:59 PM

Shane, everyone here has there own way of lighting the beast, take your time and try different ways that have been suggested here, pretty soon you will get the drill down, your own drill. once lit you will have a great time on that 426 beast. don't let it get you down, everyone here has had their own troubles, but you are in the right forum, TT has the best 4 stroke forum around, and some very good people with very good info. KEEP ON KICKING!!! AND KICK IT HARD.

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 09, 2004 - 08:49 PM

You're going to get 1000 different how-to instructions on starting so I won't add to the mess, but once you get it down it will start very easily every time. The one tip I will give you; if you've kicked it 10 times and still no fire, then put in a new spark plug before you wear yourself out. Don't ask how I learned this. :cry:

• Thomas_Potter

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:28 PM

The common theme here is that we've all had a similar experience when we got our first big thumper. Everybody's saying don't give up, and once you have the drill that works for you and your bike, you won't be sorry you got one.

I agree with the guy who said to go somewhere (whether that's the dealer or local track or where ever) and watch someone start yours. This will make you feel better about the bike, and realize the problem is simply getting the hang of it.

Good luck, and when it pops off and you twist that right wrist - just hang on.

Tom

• Satch0922

Posted December 10, 2004 - 08:55 AM

I know this is not what you want to hear and I am only giving you my advice.

It takes a little work to make the bike trouble free but it can be done. Do the following and you will forget you ever had a problem with starting the 426.

Jet the bike properly, install a new plug and take 1 hr of your life and install a 450 exhaust cam. The die hards here will tell you that any "man" can start the 426 by doing the drill and while this is a correct statement, it IS 2004.....really let's go ahead and call it 2005.....get rid of old technology and do your self a favor.....buy the cam, jet the bike and ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kicking the bike through 12 times to prime it, standing on a bucket, looking for TDC yada yada yada is all unncecessay.

Do these mods then you will never have that cloud of doubt hanging over your head as you haul your bike to the track.

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2004 - 09:16 AM

I know this is not what you want to hear and I am only giving you my advice.

It takes a little work to make the bike trouble free but it can be done. Do the following and you will forget you ever had a problem with starting the 426.

Jet the bike properly, install a new plug and take 1 hr of your life and install a 450 exhaust cam. The die hards here will tell you that any "man" can start the 426 by doing the drill and while this is a correct statement, it IS 2004.....really let's go ahead and call it 2005.....get rid of old technology and do your self a favor.....buy the cam, jet the bike and ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kicking the bike through 12 times to prime it, standing on a bucket, looking for TDC yada yada yada is all unncecessay.

Do these mods then you will never have that cloud of doubt hanging over your head as you haul your bike to the track.

As an OLD timer who started riding 500cc singles when they weighed 325+pounds, had <4" of suspension, and all had compression releases, and who generally has that procedure down well enough that I have successfully taught it to at leasat 12 people in the last year alone, let me just say in response to the above,... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smokin529

Posted December 10, 2004 - 02:31 PM

My first big bike was a '79 TT500 with a 12:1 piston in it! If you didn't get the drill right...you didn't ride. At 12 years old that was not an option. I got 'er figured out with lots of practice. A milk crate under the left foot while kicking the kick starter will help you get this down pat.

• Fastest1

Posted December 10, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Put in a 450 exhaust cam and forget the ritual! :cry:

• thumperslider54

Posted December 10, 2004 - 02:57 PM

450 exhaust cam will solve all your problems.I wanted to get rid of my 426 until I did this mod.now it's one of the easiest starting bikes i've ever had. :cry: :cry:

• yz_for_me

Posted December 10, 2004 - 06:52 PM

Put in a 450 exhaust cam and forget the ritual! :cry:

Couldn't agree more. With all the info available on this site, anyone can do the cam mod. Best $100 I spent on my 426 by far. With the cam the "ritual" becomes much shorter.

Step 1: Kick
Step 2: Ride
Step 3: :cry:

• mcarp

Posted December 11, 2004 - 07:19 AM

mcarp's tips for starting!

Follow Elroy's tips...and...

As said, turn gas off before you shut it down. Ride it for 2 minutes or until it starts to sputter. What happens is during transport, fuel splashes into the cylinder and fouled your plug. Been there, done that.

Keep you right hand over the brake master cyl. Even a slight twist on the gas will foul the plug. Oven cleaner will take care of fouling (let it sit for a few hours if lightly fouled, longer if heavily fouled). I like splitfires (SF430C)...they don't seem to foul nearly as easily as stock.
DO not touch throttle ever except when erngine is running. The exception here is sometimes in cold weather you may need to prime it by twisting the gas.

What you may not know is there is an accelerator pump on the carb. It shoots raw fuel in a stream down into the intake tract every time you twist the gas. This will foul the plug in no time. Do a search for "BK mod" for more info.

Good luck, I know they are hard to get used to but it will work out...

• Satch0922

Posted December 11, 2004 - 07:34 AM

As said, turn gas off before you shut it down. Ride it for 2 minutes or until it starts to sputter. What happens is during transport, fuel splashes into the cylinder and fouled your plug. Been there, done that.

I never do this and don't have any problems. More than likely the gas gets into the engine by someone twisting the throttle when loading the bike...not by gas slashing into the cylinder.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.