Having some troubling installing Acerbis 3.3ga fuel tank on 2003 WR450

3 replies to this topic
  • jpgolf14

Posted July 09, 2016 - 09:31 AM

I chose this tank because all the reviews looked good on it.  Granted they are all about 10yrs old.

I am running into a few issues.

At first I couldn't get the tank to go all the way down on the frame.  I saw it was touching a rubber bumper that fits over the frame near the back right of the tank.  I removed the bumper and now the tank slides all the way down but the tank is now touching the frame.

Also, the cutout for the kickstarter is nowhere near the kickstarter.

Finally, since I have an 03, I read I needed to use YZ radiator shrouds.  So I ordered factory YZ shrouds.  They kinda fit, I was able to get 3 of the 4 screws in but the 4th is way off.

Here is an overall picture.

Anyone have similar issues?

• kevingraves

Posted July 09, 2016 - 10:23 AM

I have the same bike and tank - no problems. did need YZ shrouds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jpgolf14

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:52 AM

I have the same bike and tank - no problems. did need YZ shrouds.

Hmmm, do you have any idea what might be causing my issues.  Does the tank look the same shape as yours?

• speedtoad

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I think your kick starter is off one tooth. Good way to break the starter shaft.
Welcome to the world of aftermarket tank. I sometimes use a prybar to get mine on.
Check the VIN on the bike to confirm the year.

Edited by speedtoad, July 10, 2016 - 08:13 AM.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.