- - - - -

YZ450FX wish list

• Please sign in to reply

46 replies to this topic
  • motocrotts

TT Silver Member

589 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 03:36 PM

That IMS tank you wish for is in the works...

Can you tell us more about it?

• Monk
23,727 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 15, 2016 - 03:46 PM

Can you tell us more about it?

IMS has had some pretty high interest in the 2.5g with just a screw on cap. IMS told me that one will be in the works. This was a month ago so maybe they have something now.

• motocrotts

TT Silver Member

589 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 12:18 PM

Spoke with IMS today and they told me basically the same thing, however they seem to be waiting for more interest. Told me to check back in a month or two. So, if you are interested in a 2.5 gal tank with a screw on cap, call ims and express your interest. 800-237-9906

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 18, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Spoke with IMS today and they told me basically the same thing, however they seem to be waiting for more interest. Told me to check back in a month or two. So, if you are interested in a 2.5 gal tank with a screw on cap, call ims and express your interest. 800-237-9906

Pretty funny that's the same old tune they have been saying since I bought mine in the first of the year.

• SurvivorMan

TT Bronze Member

276 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 10:52 AM

IMS sells a screw cap adaptor for $45 that bolts right into the 2.5 gal dry break tank...so it will work both ways.  Acerbic also sells a 2.9 gal tank, but I'm not sure if it would fit our bikes as it's listed for a 2014 yz450.  These tanks are all too big for me though as I only need a 8.5-9 L tank (I think this would suit the majority of riders and race types as a whole). 

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 19, 2016 - 11:36 AM

IMS sells a screw cap adaptor for $45 that bolts right into the 2.5 gal dry break tank...so it will work both ways.  Acerbic also sells a 2.9 gal tank, but I'm not sure if it would fit our bikes as it's listed for a 2014 yz450.  These tanks are all too big for me though as I only need a 8.5-9 L tank (I think this would suit the majority of riders and race types as a whole).

Post #5 the 2.9 Acerbis YZ450 tank fits with some mods. No downsides once installed. Same skinny bike as stock all the gas is held down low and the electronics are relocated under the seat where they are kept dry. But it appears everyone is going on short rides with the stock tank.
Check with IMS I believe you have to do something to the front of the seat with the cap adapter.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,491 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Post #5 the 2.9 Acerbis YZ450 tank fits with some mods. No downsides once installed. Same skinny bike as stock all the gas is held down low and the electronics are relocated under the seat where they are kept dry. But it appears everyone is going on short rides with the stock tank.
Check with IMS I believe you have to do something to the front of the seat with the cap adapter.

To make the current IMS tank work you have to lose the cap cover portion of the stock seat and cut the seat base quite a bit.  Monk has done it and can speak more to it.

As for short rides, I put in 70 miles of mixed single track and fire roads and never added any fuel.  I'm hoping to drain the remaining fuel out and measure it so I can see exactly how much I used... if I can go that far on a stock tank I'm satisfied.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 19, 2016 - 12:58 PM

To make the current IMS tank work you have to lose the cap cover portion of the stock seat and cut the seat base quite a bit.  Monk has done it and can speak more to it.
As for short rides, I put in 70 miles of mixed single track and fire roads and never added any fuel.  I'm hoping to drain the remaining fuel out and measure it so I can see exactly how much I used... if I can go that far on a stock tank I'm satisfied.

Yeah depends on the type of riding. I can go 16 miles and the low fuel light was on for quite a while.

• Monk
23,727 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 19, 2016 - 01:26 PM

To make the current IMS tank work you have to lose the cap cover portion of the stock seat and cut the seat base quite a bit. Monk has done it and can speak more to it.
As for short rides, I put in 70 miles of mixed single track and fire roads and never added any fuel. I'm hoping to drain the remaining fuel out and measure it so I can see exactly how much I used... if I can go that far on a stock tank I'm satisfied.

20160318_153313_zpsrqysqfnn.jpg

• motocrotts

TT Silver Member

589 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 01:27 PM

Ok, but how about calling IMS and tell them you're interested anyway.  More choices for all of us.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

114 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 12, 2016 - 10:01 AM

IMS tank is orderable now. 

https://www.imsprodu...6&SizeSet=3 gal

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 12, 2016 - 04:31 PM

IMS tank is orderable now. https://www.imsprodu...6&SizeSet=3 gal

That's the doo doo shroud tank. Uuugly and holds the gas in the shrouds.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

114 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 12, 2016 - 07:39 PM

That's the doo doo shroud tank. Uuugly and holds the gas in the shrouds.

Well s__t!

I was wondering about those shrouds...

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:22 AM

It looks like IMS finally came out with the 2.5 gallon tank for the fx. It should also fit the WR but likely no low fuel light. https://www.imsprodu...SizeSet=2.5 gal

• WouldsAssassin

TT Bronze Member

450 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 01:39 PM

If Yamaha would read this, how can this bike be made better from an already awesome motorcycle?

-steel braided brake lines

Why does everybody replace the factory front brake line or in your case "wish" for one? I can't have the only YZ450F to come with one. It has a rubber sheath on it but is braided steel underneath. Why worry about the rear? My booted foot can't tell the difference between steel or the rubber hose.

I've gone 75 miles of mixed single and two track on my 2.4 gallon with plenty to spare when I got back to camp. 

Edited by WouldsAssassin, August 17, 2016 - 01:41 PM.

• RichDawson

TT Member

27 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 03:06 PM

I just did 40 miles at race pace at ironman GNCC, and used about 3.5 gallons of fuel. Mileage is all about application, terrain, speed, throttle, air density, etc etc. It's not a universal equation.

• Summit

TT Bronze Member

433 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 04:27 AM

I just did 40 miles at race pace at ironman GNCC, and used about 3.5 gallons of fuel. Mileage is all about application, terrain, speed, throttle, air density, etc etc. It's not a universal equation.

Wow, that's sucking it down! My 05 has a 2.2 gal tank I believe and I get 65 or 70 miles easily (which by the way is more than enough riding for this old man), you'd think these FI bikes would do better.

• RichDawson

TT Member

27 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 04:48 AM

Wow, that's sucking it down! My 05 has a 2.2 gal tank I believe and I get 65 or 70 miles easily (which by the way is more than enough riding for this old man), you'd think these FI bikes would do better.

Again, it's all about conditions and riding style. I'm an A class racer, and this was a hare scramble. 2 hours, of hard core, hard on the gas racing. Some MX, some grass track and some very fast woods sections.

I could get 60 or 70 miles out of mine probably, if I was riding mountain roads, or flowing trail that didn't require any clutching and very little throttle.

My point is, is fuel mileage will vary from rider to rider and bike to bike more so than the way they have their bikes looking. Too many variables to take into consideration. That's why companies put a smallish tank on these bikes. Keeps weight down, cost down, and many people will buy these bikes and never need anything more than stock. For the rest of us, we have a market full of options.

• Summit

TT Bronze Member

433 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Again, it's all about conditions and riding style. I'm an A class racer, and this was a hare scramble. 2 hours, of hard core, hard on the gas racing. Some MX, some grass track and some very fast woods sections.
I could get 60 or 70 miles out of mine probably, if I was riding mountain roads, or flowing trail that didn't require any clutching and very little throttle.
My point is, is fuel mileage will vary from rider to rider and bike to bike more so than the way they have their bikes looking. Too many variables to take into consideration. That's why companies put a smallish tank on these bikes. Keeps weight down, cost down, and many people will buy these bikes and never need anything more than stock. For the rest of us, we have a market full of options.

I hear ya and meant wow, that's a lot of throttle. It does appear however that the new FI's are pretty similar in mileage with my old carb. You'd think they would be substantially better. ?

• RichDawson

TT Member

27 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 12:42 PM

My bad. I'm sometimes a little dense when it comes to reading between lines.

Yes, seems very similar. Just without the hassle or constant adjusting lol...my KTM 505 was a nightmare with ambient temperature changes. I had to adjust fuel screw virtually every ride. Never more than about 10% turn, but still... FI, just start and go...whoop!

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.