LED Headlight on AC Stator?

3 replies to this topic
  • Cody Trego

Posted July 09, 2016 - 04:31 AM

Hi guys I have a mostly stock 2006 WR450f that currently has a Cree 18w LED "light bar" as a headlight. I've had this on the bike for about 2 years with no problem whatsoever and it is a huge improvement over the stock headlight. (But I still want more  :thumbsup: )

A light company wants to send me a 60w lightbar so that I can install and review it, but I am completely clueless when it comes to electrical and I have no idea if it'll work. I just found out yesterday that LEDs prefer DC so any knowledge would be helpful. Thanks!

• aussiedrzguy

Posted July 10, 2016 - 02:26 AM

Find out if there is a diode in the lights circuit board, that is a one way valve for electricity.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted July 12, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Find out if there is a diode in the lights circuit board, that is a one way valve for electricity.

LED = Light Emitting Diode

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 12, 2016 - 08:01 PM

Hi guys I have a mostly stock 2006 WR450f that currently has a Cree 18w LED "light bar" as a headlight. I've had this on the bike for about 2 years with no problem whatsoever and it is a huge improvement over the stock headlight. (But I still want more  :thumbsup: )

A light company wants to send me a 60w lightbar so that I can install and review it, but I am completely clueless when it comes to electrical and I have no idea if it'll work. I just found out yesterday that LEDs prefer DC so any knowledge would be helpful. Thanks!

If I recall correctly, the stock stator is capable of supplying a 30 watt load, so your new 60 watt load would put the charging system out of balance and eventually kill the battery.

You would need a larger aftermarket stator.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.