Losing rear sprocket bolts

11 replies to this topic
  • Mr YumYums

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:16 PM

I have a 2006 wr450 and I'm having an issue with losing my bolts that hold on my rear sprocket. It happened last year until I replaced some of them but now I'm losing some again. I bought msr Ironman bolts for it and 4 of the 6 broke when torquing to the specified 36 ft lbs in the manual. The OEM bolts are $3.60 for just the bolt! Went out to fastenal and bought some flat head cap screws which fit. I looked up the max torque on them and its only 20 ft lbs. Is the Yamaha manual right with 36 ft lbs? The OEM ones must be made out of titanium or something then which is why they're so expensive. I had some OEM ones still on the bike and when I torqued those to 36 they snapped as well.

Edited by Mr YumYums, July 08, 2016 - 06:18 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:55 PM

3.60 is not expensive for a grade 8 bolt. 

They are supposed to be tapered at the conact point NOT flat. If they are flat, they will not get tight.

You should be replacing ALL the bolts AND nuts at the same time, which is whenever you change the rear sprocket.

If you are riding with loose bolts, you are damaging the hub and they will loosen up on their own from that point forward.

Are you using Locktite red ?

• Mr YumYums

Posted July 09, 2016 - 12:05 AM

3.60 is not expensive for a grade 8 bolt.

They are supposed to be tapered at the conact point NOT flat. If they are flat, they will not get tight.

You should be replacing ALL the bolts AND nuts at the same time, which is whenever you change the rear sprocket.

If you are riding with loose bolts, you are damaging the hub and they will loosen up on their own from that point forward.

Are you using Locktite red ?

yes I am

• EYY

Posted July 09, 2016 - 12:44 AM

New genuine bolts won't snap when tightened to the specified tension. Try another torque wrench

• GuyGraham

Posted July 09, 2016 - 03:43 AM

I used generic csk bolts and I too had issues with them coming loose

Once I got hold of some OEM bolts and nuts it has never come loose again

No loctite req'ed with OEM nuts

• Mr YumYums

Posted July 09, 2016 - 04:57 AM

New genuine bolts won't snap when tightened to the specified tension. Try another torque wrench

I had an OEM bolt on and I snapped that one when torquing to 36 ft lbs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mr YumYums

Posted July 10, 2016 - 06:19 AM

So I installed these flat head cap screws which are indeed tapered like the OEM ones and they were able to be torqued to 36 ft lbs without breaking. I replaced all 6. Cost me $24 for 25 screws, nuts and washers. Can't beat that.

Edited by Mr YumYums, July 10, 2016 - 06:20 AM.

• With222

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Red or blue lock tight on threads of bolts and proper torque specs

• GuyGraham

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:24 AM

So I installed these flat head cap screws which are indeed tapered like the OEM ones and they were able to be torqued to 36 ft lbs without breaking. I replaced all 6. Cost me $24 for 25 screws, nuts and washers. Can't beat that.

Do not be surprised if they come loose

• Mr YumYums

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Do not be surprised if they come loose

I put red loctite on all of them. They should not be coming lose.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted July 10, 2016 - 12:20 PM

The nuts Yamaha uses are self-locking and are normally assembled without using loctite.

Even without loctite they should not come loose and indeed I have never seen it happen.

Standard, non-locking hardware store nuts are not appropriate for this application and will not

remain tight.

As others have mentioned you will soon ruin your hub if you do not use the proper fasteners.

• GuyGraham

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:20 AM

I put red loctite on all of them. They should not be coming lose.

So did I, but they came loose a few times
Put a second nut on as stop gap measure
Then it broke one of the bolts in use
That was enough for me to get the oem bolts and nuts

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.