WR450F stator replacement [2012]

4 replies to this topic
  • JarvoAUS

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:56 PM

wondering if anyone is good with electrics and particularly the stator as my shop said that the bike needs a new one.
anyone had any experience with replacing the stator and whether it's worth getting the shop to do it or if its not to harder job that i could do myself. really tight on money so trying to get the cheapest option, and leaning away from the $99 per hour the shop charges. 
cheers people.

• Seou

Posted July 06, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Ideally it should only take an hour or less with the right tools at the shop 

But if you don't have a flywheel puller its not worth the headache & you might end up damaging more trying to muscle it out

Honestly if you haven't worked much on bikes then its worth forking over that cash to have someone do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trail Tech

Posted July 07, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Ideally it should only take an hour or less with the right tools at the shop 

But if you don't have a flywheel puller its not worth the headache & you might end up damaging more trying to muscle it out

Honestly if you haven't worked much on bikes then its worth forking over that cash to have someone do it.

You should not need a flywheel puller for that bike. The stator is bolted into the ignition cover and is easily accessible. Replacing the stator is a simple as draining the oil (laying the bike on its side) then unbolting the ignition cover and taking it off. Then unplugging the stator from the bike harness. Then unbolting the stator from the ignition cover. Installation is reverse. Picture 181.jpg Picture 187.jpg

• JarvoAUS

Posted July 09, 2016 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for the replies, 
so i had to give the go ahead to the shop before i could read through and realise there isn't to much in it. The shop diagnosed this and i had replaced battery and spark plug and checked through the leads and all before i went to the shop. Kinda pissed off as the shop said $355 for the new stator, when looking online on "http://www.trooperlu.com.au"it was around 250, and i though that that is a load of BS from the shop, i get they need profit, but it shouldnt be that much. Both sources are middle men and no doubt get the product from the same importer. Anyway that is my understanding. Regretting my decision as should have just gotten shop to diagnose it and don the rest myself to save $200. Live and learn i guess.  mad.gifsad-smiley-034.gif

Edited by JarvoAUS, July 09, 2016 - 03:22 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 09, 2016 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for the replies, 
so i had to give the go ahead to the shop before i could read through and realise there isn't to much in it. The shop diagnosed this and i had replaced battery and spark plug and checked through the leads and all before i went to the shop. Kinda pissed off as the shop said $355 for the new stator, when looking online on "http://www.trooperlu.com.au"it was around 250, and i though that that is a load of BS from the shop, i get they need profit, but it shouldnt be that much. Both sources are middle men and no doubt get the product from the same importer. Anyway that is my understanding. Regretting my decision as should have just gotten shop to diagnose it and don the rest myself to save $200. Live and learn i guess.  mad.gifsad-smiley-034.gif

If you deny a shop it's profit, what every percentage it is, you deny them the ability to stay in business.

If you suspect they are gouging, go on to PartsFiche.com and find out what list price is for the exact part.  Don't look at the parts discounters, as you may have to wait 4 weeks to get it, or get a recon part.

You can always ask to please have a parts discount before starting the job.   Asking aftwerwards is like trying to rob them.

You can't have it both ways; discount and knowledge + service.  They have to make a substantial profit or they will be gone.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.