AJP Ultrapassor

I just picked up an AJP 3.5 Ultrapassor.

This is a British model that my dealer brought a couple In.

PR 3 chassis, PR4 swingarm, 18/21" wheels.

Pretty fun so far- I will be doing some modification to fit my style better.

A9D8D341-DB10-41AF-B299-9BD2FA540E27_zps

B925FAE4-1628-466D-BC05-47084A4DFAC8_zps

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 4

A few initial things

Handles great

suspension nice and supple (I think good for the intended use)

Good brakes

Power? Well, I'll wait until it is broken in. Much better than the first time it was run (felt like a gutless TTR 125)

But I don't want to run it hard until I get quite a few hours On it. Nothing like, the bottom end of my OSSA- but I didn't expect it to have that either.

Oh yeah, clutch is too stiff, can't wait to get everything to fit my Clake2

Right now it seems to like being ridden sitting down, but after mods I believe will be better standing.

Things I plan on doing.

1. Convert to hydraulic clutch and fit Clake2 I have from Last bike

2. Get longer front brake hose so I can fit the Rok risers I have, get the bars up and forward a bit

3. Move the pegs back an inch or more. (Might be more work on the sidestand side, but maybe I'll just build a new sidestand)

4. Fit front Tubliss (I already did the rear

5. Figure a way to get more steering lock. It isn't bad, I just want more.

• 1 month later...

I have more hours on it now.

I fit a Magura HYMEC clutch slave and the Clake2. Much, much better (it did have some initial issues, I misread how to set freeplay on HYMEC- but working great now). One big difference is now I don't have to fiddle with the cltuch adjustment all the time when I do a lot of cltuch slipping for the super tight stuff. Of course the left hand rear brake is the biggest difference, much easier to keep balanced with the bike when I don't have to keep my foot where I can touch the brake. Plus a LOT more control. I used the brakes a lot.

Bike has gotten much better power, still no powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination, but it takes me right up some pretty steep, tight hills. I don't much care for the hills that are all momentum- I like the ones that are quite tight and slow, requiring good F/R balance and throttle/cltuch control. It is more interesting to me.

The ROK risers make standing much better, I fit some 'fat' bars with a lower rise to get the bars close to where I want. I like them pretty far forward, but I didn't want to make it such that it would be bad sitting- so it is a nice compromise. I did have to have a new front brake hose made up, but a buddy in the city had it done for me cheap.

The MT43 tyres certainly don't have the grip of Michelin radials, but they also work a LOT better for street and gravel roads. I did a 123 mile dual sport ride (gravel roads mostly, with some hiway and paved) and it did great. Max speed we did was around 45MPH and it was happy at that. Not sure I'd want to keep a lot faster speed going with current gearing (stock 13/46). I got 75 MPG! One tank was all it took, 1.65 gallons to 125 miles (rode to the fuel station at home)

Valves were a bit on the snug side when I checked them at couple hours. But I just checked again (around 25hours) and no change. Intake is a bit of hassle to get to, exhaust really easy.

I'm liking the bike- I wouldn't mind about 5 more HP, but with my style it doesn't make that much difference. I do want the woes back a bit more, but have not even thought exactly how to fabricate the mounts. Moving the oil cooler and batter guards gave more room to adjust steering lock. It was already more than any bike with enduro type radiators, but I've gotten used to my trials bike with incredible lock.

So far- I would certainly recommend to someone looking for a trail bike with moderate power, low seat, excellent brakes and quite good trail suspension. Build quality is very good and uses excellent components. I've heard only good reports of engine reliably so far- I did take a very long break-in with it and already changed the oil a number of times.

Mark

This hill is quite steep and very tight,

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 5

• 2 years later...

I just saw this again and thought I’d do a bit of an update.

The bike still runs great- biggest issue was a bearing in the linkage.  Parts were pretty cheap and readily available.  Still lots of fun (although I’ve been riding my Beta 300 factory 4T trials bike most of the time).  I loaned it to a buddy that is larger than me, he had a blast riding some really steep/tricky stuff.  It just putt-putted right up everything.

I also rode it on a long day at Gifford Pinchot-  it did great and the excellent fuel mileage was certainly appreciated.

I still think it is a great trail bike.  NOT a racer, but it isn’t supposed to be. Weakest point is probably the clutch, if you Slip it a lot it gets hot and would need adjusting if still had the cable clutch.  I have some things I’m going to try on the clutch.

mark

• Like 4

• 4 years later...

Update-  very, very long in between.  Ha

I rode this bike for quite some time and always enjoyed it.  I did want a bit more ‘snap’.  So finally traded in on Beta Xtrainer (which I still have and really like).

back to the AJP- I have it back in my shop- it went through a few hands locally, and due to a combination of things (mostly not the bikes fault), I have it here doing an engine rebuild. In the process I added the ‘race’ cam that AJP sells, the PWK carb and modified an exhaust for a Honda (didn’t want to spend the $$$$ for the BEL system). 

I’m finishing up a few things, engine is in, exhaust almost all done and mounting carb etc.  Soon I will do some test riding and report how much more zip it has.  I think I already have a buyer (I have too many bikes, or I would keep it) but want to make sure all is good.

what a fun bike

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Sorry for delay- another update. 

Bike is all back together and running very well. Noticeably more power and response. Certainly nothing like the Xtrainer, but quite a lot better than stock. I think it will still take a few tankfuls to fully break-in, if when I bought it new was any indication. So should just get better.

I setup the carb with an O2 sensor (installed bung in exhaust) and have it a bit on the rich side of things- just about ‘max power’ mixture.  Might be a little too much but until after a few tanks I think better. Valves are louder now than with stock cam, but nothing too much. The exhaust is certainly louder than stock, but nothing like some of the 450s I hear out there. I wouldn’t mind slightly quieter (well, I liked how quiet stock was) but a good compromise between noise and performance I think.

The aftermarket vacuum fuel pump had some issues. I’m not sure if the pump just failed, or got dirt or what. But I found a very small low pressure (1-2psi) electric pump cheap and will try that. I rather like the idea of being able to hear the pump run for troubleshooting.  The stock one worked well quite some time but the replacement was rather expensive for what it was. That replacement vacuum I found worked fine- until it appeared to stop.  I will try to remember and post up how this electric fits and works.

I have delivered  the bike to new owner and will bring it back to fit pump and test.

• Like 1