xr650r. Lost rightside seat bolt. Replacement bolt?

8 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted March 15, 2004 - 07:01 AM

My right side seat bolt came out. Do I have to order the replacement from Honda or is this a bolt I could find at a hardware store? What size is it? I couldn't find the size in the manual.

• irondude

Posted March 15, 2004 - 08:27 AM

if you are really into keeping the bike stock-then you will need to order the bolt-as it is a bit different than what you will be buying off the shelf at the local hardware store-but if you live in Guam and need to just get the seat to stay on-then take the other bolt out-and take it to the hardware store for a match-they are the same size threads-although the one on the right is 1/4" or so longer...add a washer and the side panel might stay on longer...

• drex

Posted March 15, 2004 - 01:58 PM

I typically hit the hardware store and pickup a stainless steel replacement. Then wait till another one or two falls off then place an order when I have several. Hate the shipping costs / special order costs for just one.

I hear there's something called loc-tite? :)

• Moredesert

Posted March 15, 2004 - 02:44 PM

I get all my hardware at OSH. They have the flanged bolts in stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aussiexr

Posted March 17, 2004 - 01:43 PM

G`Day
the part numbers to ask for are~
RHS 90106-mbn-670 (8x21)
LHS 96300-08016-00 (8x16)
Lost mine after putting caliper kit in too keen for a ride EH!
Dust from lapping others is sweet.....

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 17, 2004 - 03:10 PM

honda uses the best fasteners which is why hondas still feel solid after years of use. the other big 3 manufacturers outsource their fasteners to companies based in china and other locales.

use what you gotta use to get through your next ride but try to only use oem honda fasteners longterm. they are a major part of what gives honda's their great quality.

• whizzer

Posted March 17, 2004 - 08:27 PM

I agree with Thunderchicken. Honda fasteners are much higher grade material than the soft cheap stuff at hardware stores. I've never had to order fasteners. Just visit good Honda dealer and parts dept. should have them. Think about it... :) Have you ever checked out some guys bike that has cheap fasteners and homemade stuff on it? You just have to laugh.

• mmxr650r

Posted March 18, 2004 - 06:34 AM

I am using thread-lock as well...almost lost that one on the first ride. Not a bolt that you take out very often, so I believe the orange or green Honda-Lock would be fine.

• slowxr

Posted March 18, 2004 - 07:29 AM

That's interesting. I did a temporary replacement with a hardward store bolt and it did feel really soft when I screwed it in. I thought it might have been in my head.
Thanks for all the help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.