WR426 flooding, won't start

Not sure why, but I cannot get this bike to start anymore. It used to start with 1 kick and no choke/throttle. It sat in storage for over 3 years. When I could not get it started, I took the carb apart and cleaned it, put in a brand new plug, and tried again to no avail. I tried all different iterations of starting. I found the float bowl will fill itself with no throttle or choke. Have no idea why. I was able to get it to fire one time a few days ago, and I ran it for a minute or two. I just spent 30 minutes kicking it over to no avail. Really frustrated with this thing. Suggestions?

My normal routine is kick it over around 10 times with decomp lever engaged then let go and get it to the compression stroke, pull decomp lever again to allow lever down 1/4 of the way or so, then back up and kick. Used to work no problem. Now, this pig won't start for anything. 45 pilot/165 main at sea level. Pro Circuit pipe and header.

I already did that. The pilot is brand new. What I found is that when I turn the fuel on, it runs straight out the float bowl drain tube if it's open. Does the float bowl automatically fill without blipping the throttle or turning on the choke?

I already did that. The pilot is brand new. What I found is that when I turn the fuel on, it runs straight out the float bowl drain tube if it's open. Does the float bowl automatically fill without blipping the throttle or turning on the choke?

Yes.

The carb fill with gas immediatly after opening the petcock

The float is supposed to rise and stop the fuel from over filling the float bowl

Yours is not doing that, so you did something wrong, or neglected to service this area

If you have tried to start it with an over filling float bowl, you bottom end is probably full of fuel, and you need to kick it over a few dozen times to get it out....

You must service the ENTIRE carb, not just pull out the jets and spray cleaner in there.

It's all a system that works together.

This may seem like overkill, but it's just like rebuiling a top end and skipping the new rings.....it's not going to work out.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/protips/141_0707_keihin_fcr_carb_rebuild/

Thanks for the link. I took the whole carb apart and cleaned it and everything looked good, but am not opposed to taking it apart again. I was having a brain fart when I was wondering why the float bowl was filling with the petcock open. Of course it's supposed to. I am assuming the bike is flooding, but in reality I am not sure. These bikes flood if you look at them crosseyed, so I am paranoid of that fact and perhaps that I did not kick it over with the choke on is the reason I could not get it started.

I am going to pull the new plug today and look at it, put it back in and turn on the choke, no throttle, and kick away to see if it will start. I never even got a backfire yesterday so not sure if perhaps the lack of choke and the fact it has not run for several days was why it never even gave the impression it would start.

Edited by PNW_XR

Thanks for the link. I took the whole carb apart and cleaned it and everything looked good, but am not opposed to taking it apart again. I was having a brain fart when I was wondering why the float bowl was filling with the petcock open. Of course it's supposed to. I am assuming the bike is flooding, but in reality I am not sure. These bikes flood if you look at them crosseyed, so I am paranoid of that fact and perhaps that I did not kick it over with the choke on is the reason I could not get it started.

I am going to pull the new plug today and look at it, put it back in and turn on the choke, no throttle, and kick away to see if it will start. I never even got a backfire yesterday so not sure if perhaps the lack of choke and the fact it has not run for several days was why it never even gave the impression it would start.

Are you certain you valves are seating and not leaking?

A motor sitting for 3 years with one of the valves in the open position can cause that valve to not seal well, as it gets stuck in the guide.

A compression test will not confirm this, only a leakdown test.

...but it's probably not that.

If you did not actually ream the pilot jet passage, it will still be clogged, if the old pilot was also clogged.

Rather than even clean the old pilot jet, I replaced it. I keep old guitar strings around for these sorts of things. I think I'll try to kick this thing over again, then remove the carb and take it apart. I don't mind doing it. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the info, and I'll report back what I find.

This bike has a Dr. D aftermarket hot start and the cable is broken at the bars. It is no longer available, and the manufacturer is checking if they can get one made. I would guess Motion Pro would make it for me if I sent it in. I am not sure if the hot start could be causing any issues. I wouldn't think so- it never has before, and the bike ran a few days ago. I am not an expert on these WR's, so perhaps my starting technique isn't the best. It wore me out, yesterday. I'm no spring chicken anymore.

***UPDATE*** It's running. My starting procedure was bunk. The bike was not flooded at all, but not getting enough fuel. I needed the choke, and one twist of the throttle. When I did this, it fired right up. It's running a bit lean as I can feel it heating up and the header got a little scorchy. I'm going to take it out on the road later on and see how it runs. The fuel screw is 1 1/2 turns right now and I think it needs more. I want to run it then adjust that off of high idle.

This bike absolutely screams. Runs like a bat out of hell, easily lifting the wheel in 3rd gear. Thinking of selling her off. I don't have room for 3 bikes anymore, and this or the XR has to go. The XR only has 3k miles, is 3 years newer and street legal sooo.....