Western Maine Hate Wagon

Sure agreed.

What I was really getting at though is the lack of dirtbike culture and some of the impressions folks who don't know about it have. Driving a car or skiing are pretty dangerous activities but lots of folk do it, so the danger becomes socially acceptable. Many people can hop on an ATV and be riding in a matter of minutes. Dirtbiking is way more challenging requiring skill, balance, strength, patience, and some uncommon intuition just for basics --so it is not hard for me to see how some could get the wrong impression. Think of it, people accept the incredibly loud roar of the freeway right near their houses here in New England, but ride through that area in the woods on a quiet dirtbike and sure as shit one of those people will complain about the noise and call the cops. Its all in the perception I guess.

yup

Every yz is a closed course competition use only bike unlike an off road bike aka trail bike. There are EPA categories which limit emissions and sound.

I just checked, access what I said was that they can be just as quiet. it takes changing the arrestor, and pipe. the whole designation of off road only vs woods bike vs street legal is government bull crap, I don't subscribe to it. change parts here and there and a street legal bone just became "illegal' , or a closed course only bike becomes street legal. magic papers are stupid. but you are not, I dig what you're saying. :-)

I just checked, access what I said was that they can be just as quiet. it takes changing the arrestor, and pipe. the whole designation of off road only vs woods bike vs street legal is government bull crap, I don't subscribe to it. change parts here and there and a street legal bone just became "illegal' , or a closed course only bike becomes street legal. magic papers are stupid. but you are not, I dig what you're saying. :-)

I disagree again. I've had a 04 and 07 YZ250. Bought a gnarly pipe, Q Stealth, dBSnorkel, and wrapped the Gnarly too. Still louder than a trail bike. 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it is sort of a weird thing. Lately I have noticed that Quads have gained some kind strange social acceptance. Grannies will come screaming out or their houses if you even go near their property with a dirtbike, but granny herself will ride a Quad all over the place and think nothing of it. I think so many people ride Quads these days that they are somehow becoming accepted where dirtbikes are not here in the Northeast at least. There was never a super strong dirtbike culture here, like Cali, it was mostly a special hobbyist thing, but Quads seem to be for everybody and it works to their favor I guess. I have never seen it go quite as far as the OP states sounds like some crazies there. :ride:

cause it's easy
  • Like 1

Check out the organization Trail Riding Maine they are supporting legal dirtbike riding and trying to keep Maine's trails open to motorcycles.

According to the October edition of Trail Rider Magazine:

"The State of Maine has the largest ATV trail system in New England, but only a small portion is now open to dirtbikes. Unfortunately instead of banding together, the ATV groups have been instrumental(and unfortunately in some cases successful) in getting motorcycles banned from more than several ATV trail systems throughout the state." --Trail Rider Magazine (October 2016)

BTW a subscription to Trail Rider is a good deal it is much improved and seems to be growing and its focus is on the East Coast. Kurt Flachbart the new owner is apparently very committed to the dirtbiking community. (www.TrailRider.com) It is 30.00 a year.

Edited by Chaconne
  • Like 1

Somewhat the same problem here in Northern Maine! We have tons of trails but for some reason if your not driving a side by side the size of a greyhound you're not cool enough for the trail! I simply ignore them, go around them, and enjoy the next available gravel pit! Lol! Many of the ATVErs in my area are over 80 and wish they could ride a bike.

Edited by Strykerlover
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  The group most focused on dualsport riding in Maine reflects the larger challenges facing the sport, no base of active membership necessary to establish or further an agenda.  United Bikers of Maine is an influential, politically active group, while sympathetic, their focus is road bikes.  

If the agenda of the local ATV club needed confirmation, the latest agenda is to ban side by sides because now they're identified as trashing the trails. Yeah I know, sounds nuts.   

Someone mentioned Maine has the most ATV trails in New England.  I believe it. Maine is covered with logging roads.  Many are not in current use, providing some great opportunities for all sorts of recreation. Trouble is, current use changes as one area is logged and operations move to another location.  Understandably, the landowner or commercial logger doesn't want to expend resources on rebuilding roads designated as ATV trails.

So maybe to tie this together: Speaking specifically to the issues of our local ATV club, they have about 250 miles of designated ATV trails.  Their idea of maintenance is putting up signs and restricting use as a method of attaining legitimacy, which does nothing for the condition of the trails.  The number of ATV trails needs to be reduced. Grant money needs to be accessed, and put to use maintaining a balanced of number of trails and available funds.

Recreational opportunity is the salvation of Western Maine.  Wood pulp, fiber, and paper production is (was) the only industry, and the economy just doesn't lend support as evidenced by the closing of paper mills.  This devastates entire communities.  It's no joke.  The concerns of one guy riding around on a knobby tired motorcycle doesn't matter too much to a family who just lost their income from the mill and has zero opportunity of doing something else.  

But put together a $30K state or federal grant for recreational development and put a couple otherwise unemployed people to work as equipment operators for a couple months maintaining a manageable number of recreational trails and I submit it in some small way is better than a restrictive authoritarianism.

Sorry, sorta turned into a rant, but blaming side by sides  just added confirmation to the angry ATV club mentality.   Kinda looking forward to seeing how banning side by sides will impact membership.

Ride on. 

• Like 2

Dirt bike friendly.

China 4 Seasons club:  Power line trail use restricted by Utility company.  Boo.  No enforcement.  Yaay!

Mt. Blue State park 

Androscoggin Riverlands State Park

Mountain View ATV club - Mt. Vernon Maine.

The Trail Riding Maine guys seem to have some great rides.  They are in the central / south part of the state, though.

And I agree:  ATV's do huge damage!  I've yet to see dirt bike damage.  There just aren't that many of us in comparison.

I have a Go Pro on a chin mount.  I think that keeps other people from getting mouthy or aggressive.  Worst I get is the cold shoulder.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  The group most focused on dualsport riding in Maine reflects the larger challenges facing the sport, no base of active membership necessary to establish or further an agenda.  United Bikers of Maine is an influential, politically active group, while sympathetic, their focus is road bikes.  

If the agenda of the local ATV club needed confirmation, the latest agenda is to ban side by sides because now they're identified as trashing the trails. Yeah I know, sounds nuts.   

Someone mentioned Maine has the most ATV trails in New England.  I believe it. Maine is covered with logging roads.  Many are not in current use, providing some great opportunities for all sorts of recreation. Trouble is, current use changes as one area is logged and operations move to another location.  Understandably, the landowner or commercial logger doesn't want to expend resources on rebuilding roads designated as ATV trails.

So maybe to tie this together: Speaking specifically to the issues of our local ATV club, they have about 250 miles of designated ATV trails.  Their idea of maintenance is putting up signs and restricting use as a method of attaining legitimacy, which does nothing for the condition of the trails.  The number of ATV trails needs to be reduced. Grant money needs to be accessed, and put to use maintaining a balanced of number of trails and available funds.

Recreational opportunity is the salvation of Western Maine.  Wood pulp, fiber, and paper production is (was) the only industry, and the economy just doesn't lend support as evidenced by the closing of paper mills.  This devastates entire communities.  It's no joke.  The concerns of one guy riding around on a knobby tired motorcycle doesn't matter too much to a family who just lost their income from the mill and has zero opportunity of doing something else.  

But put together a $30K state or federal grant for recreational development and put a couple otherwise unemployed people to work as equipment operators for a couple months maintaining a manageable number of recreational trails and I submit it in some small way is better than a restrictive authoritarianism.

Sorry, sorta turned into a rant, but blaming side by sides  just added confirmation to the angry ATV club mentality.   Kinda looking forward to seeing how banning side by sides will impact membership.

Ride on. 

Hear ya but times change. Being open to others and getting rid of small-town old school New England parochialism might be a first step in welcoming others to the beautiful state of Maine with tourism dollars. I see no reason why ATVers would work to keep out motorcyclists except for a narrow-minded us vs. them territory thing. There are lots of dirtbike folks in New England and New York who would trailer up and come to Maine with a little reach out and welcome I bet. And that means spending dollars in the economy which Maine needs i.e. the mills are not coming back that has been left in the 20th Century.

If Mainers want others to come and spend their hard earned dollars in their local economies then they have to change. I get it that the mills are closed and folks need work but ATVers unfriending motocyclists ain't gonna help that any, and besides, you will have one less knobby tired guy spending his money in the great state of Maine.  :ride: 

• Like 1

Unless these trails are on private property owned by members of this ATVclub, I don't see how they're getting away with this. I've run across trails that have home-made signs on them saying it's their trail and to stay off, only later to find out the trail doesn't belong to them and they were being overly protective of  their favorite trail. These were small tracts of trails, not 250miles worth of trails, that's a lot of area to claim as yours.

Hey Chaconne, I broke my leg 6weeks ago riding behind the AmesburySportsPark, broke it good too, I'm possibly gonna retire:(

Unless these trails are on private property owned by members of this ATVclub, I don't see how they're getting away with this. I've run across trails that have home-made signs on them saying it's their trail and to stay off, only later to find out the trail doesn't belong to them and they were being overly protective of  their favorite trail. These were small tracts of trails, not 250miles worth of trails, that's a lot of area to claim as yours.

Hey Chaconne, I broke my leg 6weeks ago riding behind the AmesburySportsPark, broke it good too, I'm possibly gonna retire:(

Dmouse sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up ok. I will send you a pm.