Ughhhh

3 replies to this topic
  • GoVols

Posted July 03, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I have been working on my 2005 WR450 way longer into the riding season than I would like to.   I have a problem with the bike running without the choke on.   I have totally rebuilt the top end, to include valve adjustment and new rings.  The bike will just not run without the choke on.  I have fiddle-farted with the Air/Fuel and Idle adjustments so much I fear that I will wear out the threads!!   When I do ride the bike with the full choke on, it has extremely choppy throttle response.  I turn off the choke and it cuts out.  It appears the vacuum lines are correct.  It starts, so I know I have spark.  I have cleaned the carb so many times I feel like I am the Bo and Luke Duke of the 450 world.  There has go to be an answer, but I'm at a loss.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 04, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Ream the passage above the pilot jet with real carb cleaner and light wire or fishing line

There is a tight bend in there that gathers corrosion and debris

Also, service the hot start plunger and cavity for corrosion/leaks

When you say you 'cleaned' the carb, unless you also replace the worn out areas, cleanliness won't help much

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted July 04, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Krannie is probably right, it's a carb issue, but also check the exhaust and make sure you don't have any sort of restrictions, take the tip out and see if you notice any difference. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 04, 2016 - 08:53 PM

If you have the stock WR exahust tip, it will never, ever run correctly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.