Rear wheel collars - pack with grease?

3 replies to this topic
  • Powerage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Thought id find this in search, but no luck. Just replaced rear wheel bearings on a '08 wr450 and wondering is there any need to pack with grease the back of the wheel collars before putting them back on. Was only going to go with a smear around the alloy bits, but just checking with you guys first. Thanks!

• Nuklhed

Posted June 29, 2016 - 05:53 AM

Hmmm, how to describe this.  I guess I put enough grease in these black collars to keep water out/entering into the shaft.  I guess I wouldn't describe them as being packed full, but there's enough loose grease in there for water/dirt/grit exclusion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Powerage

Posted June 30, 2016 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for commenting. I get what you mean. Just wanted a second opinion before i get this thing back on the trails. Cheers mate.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 30, 2016 - 05:20 AM

Dip them in a vat of grease.

Dripping, covered, and slathered in grease.

^ don't do that ! ^

...just put some grease on the wiper before installing the spacers to create a water seal, is all you need.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.