I am 105 pounds and 5' 3" can i ride a yz250 or yz250f?

CRF150F dry weight 216 / 223 lbs.  32.8 " seat height

YZ125  Dry weight 190 lbs.  39.3" seat height

TTR125 Dry weight 172 lbs  31.7" seat height.

KX100 Dry weight 156 lbs.  34.3" Seat height.

That YZ seems pretty tall to me.

The KX100 seems to be a great combo - low weight, reasonable seat height.

Interesting discussion here:

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/118427/

Edited by tedcool

CRF150F dry weight 216 / 223 lbs. 32.8 " seat height

YZ125 Dry weight 190 lbs. 39.3" seat height

TTR125 Dry weight 172 lbs 31.7" seat height.

KX100 Dry weight 156 lbs. 34.3" Seat height.

That YZ seems pretty tall to me.

The KX100 seems to be a great combo - low weight, reasonable seat height.

Interesting discussion here:

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/118427/

150f holy crap that weight is obscene! I just realized there's a huge difference between the F and R.
  • Like 2

Compared to all those other bikes, the 150f is a pig.

But...

A YZ250 is 227 lbs.  The seat height is 39.1 ".  That is a really big bike!

I would probably choose a KX100 and add a flywheel weight and a reed spacer block.

I personally wouldn't add a flywheel weight to a 100. There just isn't enough there to make it worth while. I think he would be better off going up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket for a little more down low in the trails. 

A flywheel weight on such a small light weight motor that only make power up high will only slow down the motor getting to its power point. 

A 250 2t is a different story because it has so much power so quickly that it actually benefits in trail riding when slowing its rev speed. The KX 100 makes almost no power down low, so getting it as quickly as possible into its power range is ideal.

I personally say a KX or KTM 100 is going to be a good buy for the kid. It'll teach him to get really good with a clutch as well. 

Edited by d_man

My wife is approx your size and she has both the Honda CRF150RB and the KTM105xc.

Both are great bikes, but I would take the 105xc.  Lots that can be done to make them lug a little.  We did fly wheel weight, smart carb, thinner head gasket, and dropped TWO! teeth on the counter-shaft sprocket.  We're also riding above 10Kft, so our bikes are way down on power.

FWIW KTM no longer make the 105xc, but you can get a factory big bore kit for the 85 which turns it into a 105.

Edited by Colorado^
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well this might not have anything to do with this but i took a cr85 engine i bought for cheap and mounted it into a trx 90 and that little quad is fast as crap and can keep up easily with my yz 85 but the quad is much quicker in the trails ? little thing is so fun

On topic, I'm 5'7" and my 250 smoker is too tall at the worst times. I manage and compensate with 25+ years of riding experience, but there was a time when I was a kid wanting to ride my dad's big bikes and whenever he said "if you can start it, you can ride it" I found a way. The first big bike was his it360 right into the block basement wall. You will find a way if you are determined though.

i had a yz85 for a while but sold it wanting more of a trail bike because i ride more trails than open so i got a ttr125 and the thing is slow and bulky. i have ridden my friends yz250 and loved it but it seems too big. i have to one foot it but the power is so fun. i don't know what to get i know i can handle the power and torque but i don't know if i can handle the size and weight... is there a bike thats nor full size but is a 2 stroke bigger than a yz85

if you liked his then buy one, after riding it that feeling of not being able to handle the weight will go away.

if you liked his then buy one, after riding it that feeling of not being able to handle the weight will go away.

Right. Until his 105 lb teenage frame actually needs to handle the weight. Then he ends up with a lot of bike laying on top of him. 

We aren't talking about a 5'3" 35+ year old who has been riding for 20+ years here. We are talking about a 100 lb kid that just got off an 85 and rode a YZ 250 around his buddies yard a couple times. 

• Like 2

No offense here man, but the weight argument is important.

My son is about 5'6" 130lbs, and I sometimes have to pick up his 200 pound bike off of him.

He just can't do it yet.

If you do choose a bigger bike, ride with other people that don't leave you behind.

Drowning in a six inch deep puddle because you're pinned down would really suck...

For that matter - never ride alone.  Shit happens, no matter how good you are.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 6'1, 193lbs and ride a 20" bmx; people still tell me that the bike looks too small for me, but I love it.  

As we all know, the thing with motocross, is a 125 is a full size bike (38" seat height); 5'3, 103lbs is a game changer.  If I was 5'3, I'd be leaning towards the 85cc frame size and mod it as best I could for trails.  The KX100 looks like a descent option.

Edited by Individual1