Bike Over Heating

10 replies to this topic
  • RowdeeT

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:51 PM

I just bought an 06 yz450f with brand new top end, with hot cams and it's getting way hot when I ride. Would anyone know why?

• Bigfoot0518

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Is it boiling over or?

• ThrustWasher

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:58 PM

How do you know its getting too hot, What symptoms is it showing?

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted June 28, 2016 - 12:24 AM

I just bought an 06 yz450f with brand new top end, with hot cams and it's getting way hot when I ride. Would anyone know why?

idk ..put some big radiators on it and a fan.

• RowdeeT

Posted June 28, 2016 - 04:46 AM

It's coming out the over flow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 0bigsilver6

Posted June 28, 2016 - 05:08 AM

Could just be over filled. If it's over filled it will boil out the over flow until it gets down to the proper level. Also maybe change the rad cap.

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Is it heating while under way, or while idling for a while?

• RowdeeT

Posted June 28, 2016 - 07:56 AM

While I'm riding. When I stop, I notice it.

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Normal behavior would be that if filled to the top, the radiator will expel coolant as it expands until it reaches operating temperatures.  This should stop after it reaches this point, and it should leave the coolant about at the tops of the radiator tubes once it cools off. 

If not, have a dealer test the cap.  It could be weak, and not holding adequate pressure.  If the cap's OK, whoever did the top may not have installed the head/head gasket correctly (torque).

• kurtcrf450

Posted June 29, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Also they need airflow so if your not going fast enough it'll run hotter than normal because enough air isn't making it through the radiators to cool it

Posted June 29, 2016 - 09:17 PM

As the top end was just done, I'd say the issue is a bad head gasket. Combustion gas is being pushed into the coolant system, causing the overflow, which then lowers the amount of coolant and causes overheating.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.