Just got back from Glen Helen!

5 replies to this topic
  • bhunt

Posted May 13, 2001 - 06:25 PM

Just got back from Glen Helen and saw what the Honda can do. Since Ryno is a VERY competitive rider it was interesting. Here is what my impression was. FIRST off, remember that this is NOT a production bike yet, so it would behoove Honda to make a SERIOUS works bike to show it off. This might not resemble what you get from your local dealer.
It appeared to me that the Honda did pull on the YZ-f in the straights, but that the YZ-f outcornered ite CR-f.
Also on the doubles (tabletop). It seemed that Ryno always came up a little short and had to use his suspension while Ferry on the YZ-f landed perfect everytime. The YZ-f seemed to fly better.
I beleive that Voss was also running in the qualifiers on a CR-f but I don't remember him in the finals.
Certainly the fact that Ferry is more in tune with the 4-stroker could have been a factor in his taking first overall (2 second place finishes), but like I said, the YZ-f's are production and the CR-f may or may not actually be what you buy!
My 2 cents worth

Brian

• Husker_Mike

Posted May 13, 2001 - 07:21 PM

You must have seen a different race at Glen Helen today than I did. Going up Mount Saint Helens, the STEEPEST hill on all the outdoor circuit this year, Ferry caught, then PASSED Hughes at the top of the hill. That means horsepower, which the YZF seemed to have much more.

• bhunt

Posted May 13, 2001 - 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Husker Mike:
You must have seen a different race at Glen Helen today than I did. Going up Mount Saint Helens, the STEEPEST hill on all the outdoor circuit this year, Ferry caught, then PASSED Hughes at the top of the hill. That means horsepower, which the YZF seemed to have much more.

I was sitting on the side of the hill that was next to Yamaha Hill downhill and in front of the double tabletop jump. I could just see part of Mt. St. Helen. I just know that while they were next to each other, on the straight towards the tabletop, and the straight in the deep sand on the other side of the track, it seemed that the Honda pulled the Yamaha everytime they were close enought to see a comparison. Remember Hughes pulled the holeshot on Moto 2 and on Moto 1 was in front for awhile.
My point was that it doesn't matter at this point because this is not yet a production bike. And it seemed that everywhere else the YZ-f beat the CR-f. It almost seemed that the CR-f was heavier then the YZ-f! Also did you notice that not even one 125 cleared the tabletops, but the 250f's had no problem? Pretty cool!
BTW I own a 2001 WR426f which is the best bike I have ever ridden. I have no intention of moving to a Honda.
What sucks is that I was always a Kawi dude (KDX200, KX250, KX500) all during McGrath's dominance, this year I buy the WR and Ricky takes over on the Kawi! I can't win! :)

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PMAUST

Posted May 13, 2001 - 08:33 PM

Brian, before Yamaha what did Mcgrath ride? I think he rode something different before but can't remember what. A bike can make a difference to two equally matched riders. But all other things being basically equal a really great rider is greater than slight differences between any given two bikes. IMO. How do you think Ricky would do if he were riding a Yamaha or a Honda 450?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 14, 2001 - 08:33 AM

Originally posted by pmaust:
Brian, before Yamaha what did Mcgrath ride? I think he rode something different before but can't remember what.

He rode a Suzuki. The year Emig beat him.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 14, 2001 - 03:32 PM

For my two cents, neither has much experience on thumpers, but Hughes has much less. The Honda ran quite good, Hughes rode hard, but Ferry has come out of nowhere the last few months (from the end of the Supercross season 'til now). If Ferry can stay healthy, I think RC has his hands full the rest of the season. Honda and Hughes probably have a little more development ahead of them before they will run consistently up front with RC, Ferry, and Windham.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.