Rekluse EXP 3.0

16 replies to this topic
  • Bitteeinbit

Posted June 23, 2016 - 07:40 AM

Yes, I've read all the previous Rekluse threads. 

Anyone have the 3.0 on their bike? I'm good with the clutch and like to ride it a lot, but I do get tired... I like the idea of slamming my brakes and taking off right away or holding the handlebars with 5 fingers instead of 3 or 4, or riding over rocks and popping over series of logs without getting too tired. Either way, I don't find myself dropping the clutch much on the 450, but instead power-wheelie most of the time anyways. For $400, and after reading reviews on rockymountain and other places, I was convinced I should try it. Then probably jerry-rig myself a lefthand brake in the near future. 

A few things holding me back:

1-The lifespan of the clutch. I've read 100 hours, which I find ridiculous. I often do 3-4 day rides covering a good 600+km of rough terrain (5-8hour days). I like to ride in higher revs, so I doubt I would be lugging it as much as others might (I keep reading about guys going up hills in third). I've also read of guys with over 400 hours on theirs, so I'm not sure what to believe.

2-Slipping in higher gears... I travel light (small backpack) and weigh 185 without gear... I don't think it'll be an issue for me and if I do a long tarmac trip, I'd probably swap out for the original clutch.

3-I live abroad, so rarely get a chance to get goodies from the west. If the stock setup doesn't work for me, I would be pretty pissed to have to shell out another $100+shipping for different wedges... I imagine I'd like to have immediate clutch action off idle... Still, the vast majority seem content with the stock stuff (medium weight and normal springs). Perhaps I shouldn't worry too much.

4-Premature wear on the basket? Is this an issue only if it isn't hooked up properly/adjusted properly?

Any input would be appreciated. Feel free to give your opinion on a different Rekluse model if you have one installed on your 450. 

• michale

Posted June 23, 2016 - 12:17 PM

I have installed the z-start pro on all 4 of the wr 450's that I have owned. My clutch parts have lasted as long or even longer than when it was all stock parts. I will never go back to stock or own a bike without a Rekluse.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 23, 2016 - 01:03 PM

With your weight, it will not slip in higher gears, unless you are at or below the engagement point, and are in a gear or two too high....

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 23, 2016 - 09:47 PM

The newest rekluse is different than the previous ones.  On my other bikes, I could take it or leave it.   It was good to help with stalling with kick start only bikes.

But the latest one, which I have in my current bike... its a game changer.     I swear you'll never know its there.   You even retain more of your engine braking if that's what you like.

You can literally ride like you don't have it and just let it help you.  

Its worth it.

The newest rekluse is different than the previous ones.  On my other bikes, I could take it or leave it.   It was good to help with stalling with kick start only bikes.

But the latest one, which I have in my current bike... its a game changer.     I swear you'll never know its there.   You even retain more of your engine braking if that's what you like.

You can literally ride like you don't have it and just let it help you.  

I won't slip unless you don't adjust it right.  I would also bet that your clutch will last longer.  Nothing to worry about.

Its worth it.

• Bitteeinbit

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:39 PM

Which do you have? Do you have the Core EXP 3.O, the standard EXP 3.0 (just the ring) or the Z-Start Pro?

Edited by Bitteeinbit, June 23, 2016 - 10:40 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Which do you have? Do you have the Core EXP 3.O, the standard EXP 3.0 (just the ring) or the Z-Start Pro?

I have the core exp in my ktm 300.

But I have in the past owned more than a few yamaha's including wr450's and yz250 smokers.   Those had z-start pro.     

• Bitteeinbit

Posted June 27, 2016 - 05:24 PM

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the EXP 3.0. At $400, I wasn't feeling too comfortable as I'm also buying a Cylinder Works cylinder/piston kit (which went fro $279 to 345 overnight!) and have been spending a lot on random shit in the past few months. I typically like to space out my purchases more, but I had two friends coming back from the states at the same time, so figured I should go ahead and pull the trigger on the Rekluse and eat plain rice for a few months to pay it off... I decided to get a 13T front sprocket (I currently run 14-48 on my 05) and new clutch cable at the same time. I haven't checked the wear on my friction and clutch plates yet, but I think I'll just go ahead and change them to make sure everything is in tip-top shape after the new cylinder and rekluse are installed. 

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:04 PM

So you didn't get the Core Exp...    :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bitteeinbit

Posted June 27, 2016 - 10:03 PM

No, just the EXP. Reading reviews it seems like some actually prefer it to the Core or zStart. Only downside I can think of is that it'll wear my friction plates sooner. Just means I'll have to change them more often. Though I like to ride the clutch at low speeds, I don't abuse it really and doubt that I'll start with the EXP (won't do any steep hillclimbs in third, for example). I can justify $400 for now, but couldn't justify $900 on a ten-year old bike. Especially at this point in time and considering I'm not even sure I'll like it (I actually enjoy clutching a lot). Just trying to make tight sections more interesting and increase my long-distance riding ability. I've got tons of expenses right now and I'm spending too much on my bike as it is, haha. The EXP has tons of great reviews on rockymatv, so should still be a nice upgrade along with a fresh piston and plates. 

Edited by Bitteeinbit, June 27, 2016 - 10:05 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 27, 2016 - 10:09 PM

I think that the exp is certainly better than nothing. 

The difference between the exp and the core exp will be the clutch feel.  If you are doing a lot of low speed clutching, then you would notice more control at the lever with the core exp.   I certainly think its worth the extra bucks.   

but again, the exp is good.    You can always upgrade it later.

I get it about the expenses adding up.    That's hard to ignore.  I started mountain biking to get into better shape for riding and other things.   Jeez... dirt bikes are way cheaper than mountain bikes.     Now that I have a couple of mountain bikes, I don't have the money to buy the new dirt bike I wanted.  Go figure....

• still2smokin

Posted June 28, 2016 - 08:42 PM

I have been running the EXP 3.0 ( not the core ) for a couple years now and love it .

My pressure plate and basket were practically brand new when I installed it so I did not go

for the core upgrade . So far its been pretty good except I have gone thru a set of friction

plates about 5 months ago and I am hoping it was just because I hadn't adjusted once since

putting in the Rekluse . Started noticing some high gear slip but it was to late , put

new friction plates and it is good as new however recently it needs to be adjusted once

or twice every ride to get it to drag like it should when at a stand still . I hope that is not a sign

of something else going on .  Maybe my 11yr old clutch cable is starting to stretch a little as there is

constant tension on it with the Rekluse adjusted properly .

Anyone else had this issue before ?

• Bitteeinbit

Posted June 28, 2016 - 10:05 PM

Great to hear another good review. I suspect if you're still on the original cable, it might be time to change it. I can deal with more frequent friction plate changes as long as it doesn't destroy my actual housing or pressure plate. Either way, cables and plates are fairly cheap, so you should start with that. I got a new cable with mine ($16) just in case. 

One question: I have an MSR Raptor clutch lever which makes the clutch pull easier, but the increased leverage makes it a "longer" pull. Should I maybe switch back to the ASV lever before the install so that the 3mm free play gain reading is more accurate? Given that the MSR has a longer pull, I'm afraid that it'll affect the accuracy of those readings. My MSR often gets out of wack and I have trouble modulating it (it'll start the ride with the actuation far out, then it'll progressively start actuating nearer the bars). Do you carry that rubber band around to check the free play, or just check it every few rides? 

Also, did you watch the install video? Does the WR have a "clutch boss spring" or just a normal friction disk? 

• still2smokin

Posted June 29, 2016 - 06:06 PM

My 05 did not have that funky spring and also if memory serves the 05 & 06's use 1 less set of plates that the other years with Rekluse ,

which makes me think they might not have as much grip and maybe another cause of fast friction plate glazing .

I did watch the vid during install and when replacing the friction plates . The rubber band broke when adjusting it after the FP change :thumbsdn: .

Be aware when installing the EXP that the clutch lever pull is greatly increased , and combined with the Raptor lever being made of soft

metal construction could cause problems . Have read about the cable barrel ends pulling out of those levers with the stock clutch .

With this Rekluse there is no slack in the cable unless above 5000rpm  , infact constant heavy tension is there when the bike is not running .

I did buy a new cable just in case years ago just have not put it in yet but will be now .

• Bitteeinbit

Posted June 30, 2016 - 12:48 AM

Cool. The MSR is definitely weaker than the ASV, but I doubt it would just break off. I guess I'll probably switch back to the ASV anyways. I guess that means the pull will be insanely hard, was hoping to keep the MSR to make the occasional manual shifting easier, though I guess the whole point of the Rekluse is to NOT use the clutch.  

I heard some sets come with a thicker gasket. Did the one for your 05 (I also have an 05) come with one?

• still2smokin

Posted June 30, 2016 - 05:55 AM

Nope did not come with or need a special gasket .  I wouldn't say the clutch is extremely harder to pull

but surely harder than stock due to the heavy pressure plate springs that come with the EXP .

• Bitteeinbit

Posted June 30, 2016 - 05:33 PM

Thanks still2smokin. My friend is bringing it over from the states now, I'll install it next weekend. Can't wait to test it out!

Edited by Bitteeinbit, June 30, 2016 - 05:36 PM.

• still2smokin

Posted June 30, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Thanks still2smokin. My friend is bringing it over from the states now, I'll install it next weekend. Can't wait to test it out!

Honestly the best upgrade I have ever done .

Makes difficult trail sections easier , especially so on gnarly hill climbs and generally riding is just more fun . 

A very easy habit to pick up is riding in a higher gear than should,  even though it works great the clutch will wear a lot faster .

Probably why I went through the FP 's .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.