2015 - 450 need handling advice

16 replies to this topic
  • motomike894

Posted June 22, 2016 - 05:33 PM

I have a 15 yz450 and it's by far the worst cornering bike I've ever owned but lot people I know with them don't seem to agree as much.

I have my suspension sprung and revalved for me.

I have tried lot different stuff between less sag or more sag, clickers, fork height.

No matter what I do it wants to stand up in corners and come out / over rut especially in longer ones.

It also feels like the front ends just sticking out there right corners it doesn't knife like all my previous suzukis or last Honda.

SO anyone have any tips with setups on these I'm a vet expert rider i jump everything and am a big guy not height but weight wise.

Right now i have forks at 0mm, and sag is like 116-118mm last I checked free sag is 39-40mm

This is what my suspension guy told me to do I'm still not happy could just need a better revalved or I don't know what lol.

• 15thumper

Posted June 22, 2016 - 06:44 PM

I'm no expert but I've had my 15 450 for a year and those suspension settings are way off, I'd fire your guy try this it works well for me but I run devol adjustable pull rod forks up 20mm yes 20 mm sag always 105

• 15thumper

Posted June 22, 2016 - 06:54 PM

You will get alot of answers on thus and alot of different settings but I've never heard anyone running that much sag, I run 110-115 in desert but also lower forks, any other time I'm at 20 mm up 105 sag I'm 6'1 225 the lower I go on the forks the more unstable the front end gets

• motomike894

Posted June 22, 2016 - 07:16 PM

When your saying 20mm are you talking from the top of fork cap or the bottom of fork cap ? I've heard people measuring that different i always measure from the bottom where the fork tube would start.

Thanks I'll be trying some stuff this weekend.

• harmetp

Posted June 23, 2016 - 04:48 AM

I'll take the captain obvious position and ask if your chain is too tight? I'm trying to set up an 04 crf250 to be as warm and fuzzy as I can and a rear sprocket change took up quite a bit of chain slack. I thought it was enough, but when I tried to ride it, it about threw me off trying to corner. 

I guess my thought is that suspension settings except for extremes of sag settings tend to be fine tuning things and the bike should run through a corner with about any setting. Maybe not as quick or predictable, but passable. So, you might just look for something else not wanting to move like it should (linkage broken/binding), lots of air pumped into the forks and need bleeding (unless you have air forks), motor mount bolts loose, head bearing too tight/binding. 

I reserve the right to be completely wrong...

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2016 - 06:31 AM

The sag should be 100-105.  Forks up 10-15 from the top of the tube.

Then, you should have one of you associates who rides a YZ450 like yours and likes it ride yours and see what he thinks of it.  Rider position and style play a huge part in cornering, particularly with a bike like the YZ450 that is so sensitive to small changes in set up.  Imagine how it reacts to you moving forward an inch or two.

I fight sand every time I get in the stuff.  The front slides around like it's on a trash can lid unless I put what seems like a lot of energy into making it behave.  My son, on an identical bike, carves around like he was on ice skates.  Not the bike, the rider. Something to think about.

• motomike894

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:13 AM

I am going to get my sag closer to that I almost think I might need even one more rate heavier spring to get free and race sag to come out right but hopefully I can get it close.

I will try raising the forks more too, I was measuring from a different spot and setting at 5mm, which if I measure from top Im sure is another 5-10mm difference.

I will let you know what happens.

thanks.

• BGoyins

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:46 AM

My 15 is set 97-100 sag and forks up 7mm. It' s a tad nervous wound out in 5th gear but has never tank slapped. But it sure corners nice if I'm committed to really turning. If I'm lazy I'll end up running wide or standing it up. I think this year handles much better than my 11 ever did.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crusty Cy

Posted June 23, 2016 - 01:52 PM

102mm sag and forks up 7mm. Change the front tire to a Bridgestone X30. I have no issues with mine. If still a little off, take out 7-10cc of oil. I think it handles better overall than other brands I've had.

• tmeyer37

Posted June 23, 2016 - 01:56 PM

It also feels like the front ends just sticking out there right corners it doesn't knife like all my previous suzukis or last Honda.

I think this statement might be your issue. Yamahas have completely different handling characteristics vs. Suzuki and Honda. They like the outside line and railing turns, Suzuki and Honda have always been the opposite with a steeper rake and could spin on a dime. I know when I went from an RM125 to a first gen WR250f it definitely took some adjustment in my riding technique. Once I can used to it though I was in love and have not had anything but a blue bike ever since. 

• motomike894

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:03 PM

Just put new bridgestones on it lol so see how that is I'm going to change sag and move forks see what happens

• GHILL28

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:36 PM

116mm sag is going to handle like crap on this bike.  I've tried it.  Bracket around between 95mm and 110mm.

110mm has pretty lazy/stable handling, but still reasonable.  116mm you can make work with a LOT of effort, but is far from optimal.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:47 PM

I have a 15 yz450 and it's by far the worst cornering bike I've ever owned but lot people I know with them don't seem to agree as much.

I have my suspension sprung and revalved for me.

I have tried lot different stuff between less sag or more sag, clickers, fork height.

No matter what I do it wants to stand up in corners and come out / over rut especially in longer ones.

SO anyone have any tips with setups on these I'm a vet expert rider i jump everything and am a big guy not height but weight wise.

Right now i have forks at 0mm, and sag is like 116-118mm last I checked free sag is 39-40mm

This is what my suspension guy told me to do I'm still not happy could just need a better revalved or I don't know what lol.

IMHO

Set up is way off

You have it set up like a chopper, so unless you are sitting on the gas cap it can't possible hold a front wheel line....

You must set the sag with a helper, so you are sitting in the right spot, or with a digital tool.

The act of leaning back with a tape measure to check sag will result in massive oversteer when trying to get near 100mm (because it will turn out to actually be 90mm or less when you sit normally...)

25-30 / 100-105 sag

Push the forks up until you can feel the change from under steer to over steer just by moving up/back on the seat a bit...or even just by leaning front to back....start with 5mm.

Anything but the sweet spot (determined by you) will feel really far off. 

Adjust your suspension to be FIRM until you figure out the sag and forks. You might even back out the high speed in the rear so the rear wheel with stick a little better.

Then experiment with reducing rebound first, then compression, to improve the ride quality.

• motomike894

Posted June 27, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Got forks raised 5mm up in clamps that's measuring from bottom of fork cap not top of it and had no one to help with sag so just tightened spring two turns which put me at about 35mm ish free sag and rode a tighter track seemed to be better I wouldn't say night and day but Better for sure I'm guessing need to take more sag out to get race sag where should be and then see what happens had people watching me that know what's going on they both said shock looks way soft forks look way stiff and bikes unbalanced.

I'm about to buy pro action revalve Kit for forks and do myself see what happens lol I can get one pretty cheap my forks seem to bottom out there's marks under fender etc but it's like there too harsh at beggining and too soft at end

• GHILL28

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Your chassis isn't even balanced and you want to blow money and good stock settings on proprietary aftermarket valving?  Good luck.

Set springrates/preload before anything else.

The stock settings aren't bad, but the fork could use some improvement.  It doesn't need much honestly.  Couple shims here and there.

Edit:  If you had 40/117 sag before, and you changed static to 35mm, you're still at 112mm rider.  It's a linear relationship.  You still need 3-4x more turns of preload probably.

Edited by GHILL28, June 27, 2016 - 08:15 PM.

• motomike894

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:53 PM

It's already been revalved and sprung I rode it once stock I still am competitive in Vet A / A class but am pretty heavy so riding a bike stock is impossible for me I weigh too much and go too fast on top of that plus I jump everything.

But I feel especially forks never been great for me I did change spring rate from what he did I have 6.6 shock and .54 fork springs in it I honestly could have a 6.8 rear Spring probsbly but I am slimming down some or trying too.

His solution to my bike not sticking and cornering was me trying to change fork height and not running enough sag which never made sense to me.

Anyway hopefully I can get the sag to come out to around 105 mm race with at least 25mm free sag and see what happens .

Everyone keeps telling me to get lowering link too which I probably will at some point.

I'm riding again tomorrow night so I'll see what happens with more changes here.

• Yamahajoe292

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:14 PM

I put a devol lowering linkage on my buddies 15 and it made a world of difference.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.