* * * * * 2 votes

The 'List'

Yamaha YZ450FX 2016

170 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 22, 2016 - 08:18 AM

Don't forget the new KYB suspension on the 16s as well. Yamaha is dumping remaining stock on the 15s because they have extras. I heard from my deal that there's at least a $1200 rebate on them.

16s are now becoming rarer as the 17s take over. 

The 'new' KYB suspension has been there since 2012

There have build prodution build changes, but the suspension is the same. Which is good.

• Bitteeinbit

TT Bronze Member

126 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 03:37 PM

Why would they put 6 gears on the new 250s, but not on the 450s? Weird... Might be best to get a 16 or 17 if they're that much better then.

Edited by Bitteeinbit, August 22, 2016 - 03:42 PM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 22, 2016 - 04:32 PM

Why would they put 6 gears on the new 250s, but not on the 450s? Weird... Might be best to get a 16 or 17 if they're that much better then.

Beacuse a 450 has more power for longer, and does not need to be shifted as often.

The 450 is a 5 speed wide ratio

The 250 is a 6 speed is semi-wide ratio

The KTM 350 is a  6 speed  close ratio....

• Bitteeinbit

TT Bronze Member

126 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 05:25 PM

I know that the higher power output is the main reason, and don't get me wrong, I like to lug myself with ease through some situations where my buddies on 250s struggle to keep their revs up. However, if you polled WR owners and potential WR buyers as to whether they'd like a 6th "overdrive" gear, I'm sure the majority would say yes.

I wonder how much of a difference the rearward slanted engine makes in terms of handling vs the pre-16s. My guess is not much, especially if the controls feel cramped as you say. Older Husabergs had a similar design, didn't they? I know you say the FX feels way better than the old (08?) WRs. Does it also feel much better than the other FI WRs (if you've ridden one)? I agree it's better to have slightly newer technology, but a 1500-2000 discount isn't insignificant. Oh, and I assume a headlight can be added to the FX with ease?

Edited by Bitteeinbit, August 22, 2016 - 05:28 PM.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,224 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 22, 2016 - 05:39 PM

The six gear would be a overdrive gear and nice to have. But not necessary. The Husaburg and the Yamaha really don't have much in common at all. The HP difference between the 12-15 and the new 16' is substantial. The 16' is a completely new and very different bike.

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 22, 2016 - 05:59 PM

I know that the higher power output is the main reason, and don't get me wrong, I like to lug myself with ease through some situations where my buddies on 250s struggle to keep their revs up. However, if you polled WR owners and potential WR buyers as to whether they'd like a 6th "overdrive" gear, I'm sure the majority would say yes.

I wonder how much of a difference the rearward slanted engine makes in terms of handling vs the pre-16s. My guess is not much, especially if the controls feel cramped as you say. Older Husabergs had a similar design, didn't they? I know you say the FX feels way better than the old (08?) WRs. Does it also feel much better than the other FI WRs (if you've ridden one)? I agree it's better to have slightly newer technology, but a 1500-2000 discount isn't insignificant. Oh, and I assume a headlight can be added to the FX with ease?

Not sure how to respond to  what has already been anwered several dozen times in national review magazines and blogs.

You do realize that to get a 6th gear you have to compromise the entire gearbox, or make heavier or wider......

KTM's use aluminum shift drums, smaller shafts, bearings, and gear faces....and several miss shifts can give you a very bad outcome.....not to mention the shifter throw is 10mm farther...

It's not a 'dual sport' bike, so going from 3 mph to 85 mph is really not needed.  It's a dirt bike.

• Bitteeinbit

TT Bronze Member

126 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Fair enough Krannie, I'll bow down to your superior knowledge. Didn't know the HP difference was very noticeable. I've been reading (mostly Aussie) reviews of the 16 and they all seem positive for sure, I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra cash (which in my case would be spent on shipping and import duties, and maybe a few goodies if there's some leftover). Then again, I'm probably only marginally faster on my WR than I would be on an XR250/TTR250 or the like. If I do pull the trigger, it wouldn't be until next summer anyways, so perhaps a few leftover 16s will be going for slightly cheaper by then. 

• RockerYZWR
1,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:19 AM

Fair enough Krannie, I'll bow down to your superior knowledge.

Well, you just made Krannie's day!

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Well, you just made Krannie's day!

200_zps5ytipvuv.gif

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 24, 2016 - 04:57 PM

Installed the EE radiator braces.

Fit is a solid C+ at best.

If I were to grind off some of the 'uneeded' plastic on the back of the shrouds, they would fit closer in without all the extra spacers and washers.

I will do that someday...

Next is the lighting. Ugh. Harness work blows.

• falconjet

TT Bronze Member

336 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:52 AM

If I were to grind off some of the 'uneeded' plastic on the back of the shrouds, they would fit closer in without all the extra spacers and washers.

Gotta luv wiring. It's my least favorite too.

I did my dual sport lighting kit from scratch on my 07 WR.

Royal PITA but got her done and even fooled the DMV.

Good luck buddy.

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 25, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Gotta luv wiring. It's my least favorite too.

I did my dual sport lighting kit from scratch on my 07 WR.

Royal PITA but got her done and even fooled the DMV.

Good luck buddy.

I have already built the backbone, attached the removable couplings for the Headlight/running light/low-high beam, rear tail brake/running light, hydralic swtich, and operating relay.

Now I have go go through the harness and re-reference the color codes, find a place to mount the relay, piece-sleeve the harness, solder the lighting switch to the coupling, and then strip the bike to install it. 

I have to take into account that I will probably be using the YZ250F gas tank, that requires re-location of all the 'stuff' behind the shock, a smaller battery, and all that, too.

The dentist is sounding pretty good right about now...

• Agazza

TT Bronze Member

124 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 25, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Photo's photo's photo's..

I to would love a 6 gear with highway cruising in mind. Then I could go down a tooth or two on the back.

I use my bike for slow trails and commuting

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 25, 2016 - 04:28 PM

My tailight lic plate holder turned out poorly....so I ordered the Rycomoto one....which will get  the holes on the sides plugged up and black bed-coated

• asb77

TT Member

71 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 11:35 AM

I have a '16 WR ( I wanted the green sticker, and got a fan and lights as a bonus) and have the same feeling about the EE braces, I was looking at it yesterday and considered carving some plastic to get rid of the spacers and make the shrouds fit more like stock.  It looked to me as though I would need to carve away more than just the inner plastic, if you do it please post some pictures.  I have something to add about the exhaust that I have seen asked a few times. The GYTR insert that you can buy for $50 is bigger than the stock cap with the pea shooter removed.  the stock one fits inside the GYTR one.  Additionally the stock one extends inside of the muffler and the GYTR does not.   

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,224 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 28, 2016 - 01:09 PM

I have a '16 WR ( I wanted the green sticker, and got a fan and lights as a bonus) and have the same feeling about the EE braces, I was looking at it yesterday and considered carving some plastic to get rid of the spacers and make the shrouds fit more like stock.  It looked to me as though I would need to carve away more than just the inner plastic, if you do it please post some pictures.  I have something to add about the exhaust that I have seen asked a few times. The GYTR insert that you can buy for $50 is bigger than the stock cap with the pea shooter removed.  the stock one fits inside the GYTR one.  Additionally the stock one extends inside of the muffler and the GYTR does not.

Grinding shrouds and removing the spacers is a mater of 5 - 10 minutes and done. Sorry no pictures.

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 28, 2016 - 01:17 PM

Grinding shrouds and removing the spacers is a mater of 5 - 10 minutes and done. Sorry no pictures.

Didn't happen then

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 11:36 PM

Update on mods or riding experiences ?

I made a deal on a used YZ450FX today.  I pick it up on Friday.  10 hours on it.  

The deal a couple weeks ago fell through due to the owner not being able to pay out a loan against the bike.

I've been riding my YZ250FX all summer.  Great bike, but I'm yearning for more power !

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 29, 2016 - 11:59 PM

Kickstand re-duex is not strong enough.

Need to go up one size bolt, have it go all the way through, and use a nut.

The spacer is critical and might be tough to get right, as the surfaces are not parralell.

I should just get it welded on, but I can't find a welder who will do it on demand.

It has to be on the bike to be lined up, and I'm not leaving my bike overnight at a welding shop...

20160801_142724_zpspy5cqclt.jpg

20160801_150407_zpsqy2g3yqo.jpg

Edited by KRANNIE, August 30, 2016 - 12:02 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 07:28 AM

Any further riding impressions, Krannie ?

Is the YZ450FX the best woods bike for big guys or is there something better ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 30, 2016 - 07:53 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450FX exhaust and mapping by Finchy637

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450FX 2016 by crash220

Yamaha YZ450FX 2016
  • * * * * -
  • 8 reviews
  • Last review by gardwadt
  • On Yesterday, 02:16 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.