...and so it begins....the lowered peg-quest for the WR/YZFX 450

17 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 20, 2016 - 03:09 PM

20160620_152825_zpsh1tuc7bp.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 20, 2016 - 03:32 PM

The goal: to lower the pegs 20mm without moving them forward or back a signifigant amount, and without any out-sourced fabrication, if possible

Why?

Because the new gen frames have the peg mounting brackets up 15mm from the old gen frames, even with the newer 5mm lower oem pegs my old knees can't take that extreme bend at the knee.

The premise: swap peg mounts right to left (using YZ mounts with no kickstand) and use Fastway lowboy pegs, or modify stock pegs by cutting off the peg pin barrel and relocating it to the TOP of the peg....

EG of cutting the stock pegs: the 'barrel' above the peg mounting hole in this peg is normally below it....in this position it is about 10mm lower and 10mm back from stock.

mattdavesbdays001.jpg

...or as Fastway explains it:

mount_options.gif

Photos:

Left and right mounts, as normally configured

20160620_154641_zpsym4msra4.jpg

..and when one mount is flipped upside down, you can see the peg mounting pin hole drops 10mm

The frame the peg mount have an indexing plug that would need to be modified (cut off the frame, or a hole re-drilled on the mount)

20160620_154651_zpsxh0oc990.jpg

stock peg, stock left mount, in normal position

20160620_154457_zps1f67tfdf.jpg

20160620_154444_zps1bo8ox93.jpg

stock peg, stock right mount positioned upside down, peg in normal position : 10mm drop, but 10 mm forward

20160620_154751_zpsig6bmulb.jpg

20160620_155013_zpsq5yopvqt.jpg

stock peg, stock right mount postioned upside down, left peg in upside down position (to simulate Fastway pegs, or modified stock pegs) = 20mm drop, and 4mm forward

20160620_155518_zpshp6qy23s.jpg

20160620_155336_zpssm4ow6wm.jpg

Synopsis:

• Right and left pegs modified with peg pin barrel cut and relocated to top (or use fastway lowboy pegs) drops the pegs down 10mm and back 10mm
  • Right and left foot peg mounts swapped left to right, drops the pegs 10mm, but also pushes the pegs forward about 14mm
  • Doing both gets me 20mm of drop and about 4mm of forward location 
  • I will have to get the YZ mounts and fix the indexing to verify actual results, but it looks like it might work out!

Edited by KRANNIE, June 20, 2016 - 03:48 PM.

• JDLowrance

Posted June 20, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Good progress on the pegs...I installed fastway pegs in the lowboy position on my 2012. Had to build up weld material and mill it down for the peg stops. Didn't consider swapping mounts left to right....looking forward to your results.

Also looking forward to seeing which way you go with the fuel tank. The Acerbis option looks interesting. Would really like to see some photos of the relocated components necessary to facilitate the installation.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 20, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Good progress on the pegs...I installed fastway pegs in the lowboy position on my 2012. Had to build up weld material and mill it down for the peg stops. Didn't consider swapping mounts left to right....looking forward to your results.

Also looking forward to seeing which way you go with the fuel tank. The Acerbis option looks interesting. Would really like to see some photos of the relocated components necessary to facilitate the installation.

The FX does not require as much part relocation as the WR, but still some.

IMS supposedly has a 2.9 that requires no mods...

• JDLowrance

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, but isn't that 2.9 the one that uses the rad shrouds as part of the tank? If so, not a fan...at all!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, but isn't that 2.9 the one that uses the rad shrouds as part of the tank? If so, not a fan...at all!

It's my understanding that the YZ250FX tank is the one to use.

........or the Acerbis part # 2374220001 tank, as in the other thread(s)........

Edited by KRANNIE, June 20, 2016 - 05:15 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 21, 2016 - 04:41 AM

The other peg lowering option is to modify the stock brackets.

By lower the brackets 20mm, you can't just drill new holes.

The lower hole ends up right where the peg bracket is, and the other mounting hole is 15mm above 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 28, 2016 - 07:15 PM

OK, most of the parts are in, and I can now confirm or deny the premise with some more careful (not precision!) measuring.

Stock pegs, Stock location = 0 mm down, and 0 mm front to back

Stock pegs, Low boy location = 10mm down, and 7 mm back from stock

Stock pegs, Low boy location, using reversed peg bracket =  17mm down, and 4 mm forward from stock

Stock bracket and position:

20160628_194109_zpsgrxpkrnm.jpg

Stock bracket, low boy position;

20160628_194032_zpsjmm8yezc.jpg

Reversed right side bracket, low boy position:

20160628_194239_zps697drk8m.jpg

I will need to mill a hole in a new place for the frame indexing post:

20160628_160156_zpshmq8odod.jpg

20160628_194705_zpsf1z4aiof.jpg

If the pegs turn out to be too low (doubt it !), or too far foward (only 4mm more then stock?) then I will make new brackets themselves from scratch.

• dirtridersteve

Posted June 30, 2016 - 11:19 PM

By dropping pegs down and back, won't the shift lever and rear brake lever then be farther up and forward? Is 20mm insignificant, or will it be noticeable that the controls are further out?
By dropping pegs down and back, won't the shift lever and rear brake lever then be farther up and forward? Is 20mm insignificant, or will it be noticeable that the controls are further out?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foggy3061

Posted July 01, 2016 - 01:54 AM

Yep, this is true. Though if you need to lower the pegs due to rider height then chances are you have big feet too so it becomes less of an issue!

I'm looking at lowering my pegs too (2016 WR450F) but ive done it by chopping the barrel off and welding a new one on above the peg (still need to extend the limit stops though).

20160416_163426_zpsihoyaudk.jpg

If gear lever and rear brake lever height are a problem I'm going to re-rivet the rear rake pedal tip a little further back down the arm (and lower the pedal height on the adjuster) and i have a Zeta revolving tip gear lever that you can change the tip offset and rotate for ideal positioning.

http://zeta-racing.c...lver/index.html

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 04, 2016 - 03:41 PM

I did this (reversed footpeg mounts) on my WR.  It works great.

Note that footpeg "stops" aren't going to hit the stops on the mount anymore.   They now hit the mounting bolt.   It works anyway.  IIRC I shimmed the bolt with a couple washers to get the right peg angle.

FWIW, I use "Airtime Billet CNC Wide Fat Footpegs Yamaha YZ 1999-2015 from eBay on my bikes.   Much much better than stock.  Same weight as YZ pegs.  Half the weight of WR pegs.  I've bent WR and YZ pegs, but never these pegs. 

I've been thinking of machining the Airtime pegs to use rearset collets like the Fastway, but haven't found time to do it yet.

Congrats on the new bike.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, July 04, 2016 - 03:43 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 04, 2016 - 05:19 PM

Yes.

So you adjust them, or get longer/shorter ones.

I don't usually have issues with the shifter, but I alsway do with the brake, and it will be modified as well.

20mm is a lot

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 05, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Everything fits

A simple lock washer behind the bottom mounting bolt allows the peg to sit flat.

Not able to even sit on it yet, as suspension is not ready yet.

So far so good

Next will be the brake pedal mod to get the tip lower.

You can't lower the lever it self low enough as it hits stuff even at only a 5/8" drop (as previously discoverd)

20160704_2017431_zpsvcfpykgl.jpg

20160704_2021351_zpsodsxqhi6.jpg

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 06, 2016 - 07:14 AM

You cut the footpeg sleeve and moved it from the bottom to the top of the peg ?   It will be interesting to see if the shortened sleeve remaining on the footpeg is strong enough to last or if it will crack or wear very quickly.    Kudos to you for trying to do this.   I'll be watching your results.

I was going to do this with the Airtime pegs which are made of aluminum.   I was going to cut the sleeve from one side and TIG it to the other side of the peg, thus trying to retain the factory stress and load bearing area.   Reducing the sleeve like you have done doubles the stress in the bore and approximately halves the load bearing area.

Keep us posted.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:03 AM

You cut the footpeg sleeve and moved it from the bottom to the top of the peg ?   It will be interesting to see if the shortened sleeve remaining on the footpeg is strong enough to last or if it will crack or wear very quickly.    Kudos to you for trying to do this.   I'll be watching your results.

I was going to do this with the Airtime pegs which are made of aluminum.   I was going to cut the sleeve from one side and TIG it to the other side of the peg, thus trying to retain the factory stress and load bearing area.   Reducing the sleeve like you have done doubles the stress in the bore and approximately halves the load bearing area.

Keep us posted.

Moving the sleeve/collar from top to bottom is an old trick.

You cut the entire collar off, leaving nothing on the peg.

I see no reason to weld it in place

All of the pressure is on the pin and the peg, and no longer on the collar.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 06, 2016 - 07:06 PM

OK, next is the brake pedal.

With the pegs lowered, it will obviously too high above the peg to be usable.

So, the trick is to remove the harware attached to the pedal and mc, and remove the lock nut.

Then, cut off 6mm of thread from the plunger using a dremmel cutoff wheel, and using plumbers sealing tape instead of the lock nut, to keep the clevis from spinning and un-adjusting itself.

Now the pedal drops more than far enough but and hits the  peg bracket, because I have it adjusted way to low, which is fine for now.

20160706_130001_zpsbtbsaigt.jpg

20160706_130908_zpsmfbqqahs.jpg20160706_131743_zpsqtvmtslj.jpg

Edited by KRANNIE, July 06, 2016 - 07:08 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:18 PM

Moving the sleeve/collar from top to bottom is an old trick.

You cut the entire collar off, leaving nothing on the peg.

I see no reason to weld it in place

All of the pressure is on the pin and the peg, and no longer on the collar.

If you did an FE analysis, you'd see that the stress in the footpeg pin bore is way higher with the collar removed.  There is a reason that Yamaha designed the footpegs with the collar that way.  The collar does more than just hold the spring.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 08, 2016 - 05:36 AM

If you did an FE analysis, you'd see that the stress in the footpeg pin bore is way higher with the collar removed.  There is a reason that Yamaha designed the footpegs with the collar that way.  The collar does more than just hold the spring.

yup

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.