2003 Wr 450 Red pipe and possible carburetor problem.

8 replies to this topic
  • tyleryorgesen

Posted June 17, 2016 - 07:04 PM

I just got back from being over sea for the last 2 years. While I was gone, the bike was driven from time to time by a brother, though hasn't been started in 6 months. Of course the bike didn't start when I got home. The bike wasn't getting any gas, so I opened the carbs and found the float stuck. I cleaned everything out and put it back together.
Now the bike starts except after idling for 20 seconds the pipe is bright red and starting to smoke as if it is going to melt. Plus gas is dripping out of the tubs on the carb. Though if I open the throttle, the dripping stops and the pipe burns up faster. Again I'm not idling longer than 30 second tops. I know that ilding these bikes are bad but I don't want to take off and ruin the bike if something really is wrong. I've looked it over again and again I'm not sure what I'm missing now. Some help would be nice.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 17, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Your carb needs to be rebuilt

The float needle is sticking inside the cavity preventing it from pushing down and sealing, or, the needle or seat are bad

Clean and polish the cavity and needle

Your pilot jet needs to be replaced and the passage above it cleared with fishing line.

The fuel screw should be replaced with an R&D fuel screw

Put ethanol treatment in every tank of gas, and lean the bike flat on it's side, both sides, with the petcock off, to drain the carb of all it's gas, before storing.

• tyleryorgesen

Posted June 17, 2016 - 08:17 PM

I'll give it a try, thanks

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted June 18, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Put ethanol treatment in every tank of gas, and lean the bike flat on it's side, both sides, with the petcock off, to drain the carb of all it's gas, before storing.

Why not just open the bowl drain screw?    It is at the very bottom of the bowl unlike the overflow tube so it will

get all of the gas out without any gymnastics...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 18, 2016 - 07:25 AM

Why not just open the bowl drain screw?    It is at the very bottom of the bowl unlike the overflow tube so it will

get all of the gas out without any gymnastics...

Not all carbs have drain screws

None of mine do

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted June 18, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Not all carbs have drain screws

None of mine do

Interesting...   what models/years?

Some model year Honda CRFs (offhand I don't know which ones) had bowls without the drain screw but I have

never seen an unmolested WR that did not have one.     I have 9 WRs from 2003-08 and all of them have drain

screws from the factory.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 18, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Interesting...   what models/years?

Some model year Honda CRFs (offhand I don't know which ones) had bowls without the drain screw but I have

never seen an unmolested WR that did not have one.     I have 9 WRs from 2003-08 and all of them have drain

screws from the factory.

2003/2006/2007/2008/ WR450F

2008 YZ450F

2005 CRF450X

2008 KX450F

2008 450SXF

2004 CRF250X < HAS DRAIN SCREW

2016 BETA 430RR (doesn't even have a carb !)

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted June 20, 2016 - 12:33 PM

2003/2006/2007/2008/ WR450F

2008 YZ450F

2005 CRF450X

2008 KX450F

2008 450SXF

2004 CRF250X < HAS DRAIN SCREW

2016 BETA 430RR (doesn't even have a carb !)

That is quite surprising on those WRs if the bowls are all the original factory issue...

Did you change them to the CRF bowls to accommodate the AP mod?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 20, 2016 - 12:57 PM

I used to mostly install the R&D racing powerbowl-2, which also does not have a drain

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.