Leaky petcock

9 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted June 17, 2016 - 04:27 PM

I fired up my 426 to let it warm up (doesn't get ridden that often), and found that the petcock is leaking externally when on. Is it likely the seal, or is there something else I need to look at replacing too? 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 18, 2016 - 10:15 AM

I fired up my 426 to let it warm up (doesn't get ridden that often), and found that the petcock is leaking externally when on. Is it likely the seal, or is there something else I need to look at replacing too? 

Yeah, there is a couple of pieces of rubber in there that go bad

• philsyzf426

Posted June 19, 2016 - 02:08 AM

After mine was stood unused whilst away working for 5 month I had same problem. Turn petcock off after few mins of leakage and when returned next day it didn't leak just dryed out rubbers when coated in fuel worked again. But I changed rubbers to be sure. The old 1s weren't perished at all.

• toten

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:08 AM

Mine sat 3 weeks, so not all that long. 

Is OEM the way to go for new rubber?

• philsyzf426

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:17 AM

Oem Always best way but I just used from pack I have in lock up. Full pack bought from eBay for £5.99 but won't ever need any o rings seals etc as pack is 650 pieces.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philsyzf426

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:18 AM

If its left turned on awhile then off leave it a day or 2 then see if it's stopped my brother never changed his the same problem same time he's still goin now no leaks.

• toten

Posted June 21, 2016 - 06:29 AM

In case I didn't make it clear, it was dripping externally when I turned it on. It's possible that it's leaking internally as well, I don't know, but if so it isn't enough for the bike to idle on (I like to let it run to use up most of the gas in the bowl and then drain the last bit)

• philsyzf426

Posted June 21, 2016 - 06:32 AM

we had pools of fuel ontop of engine cases pooling around the base head gasket area it was dripping straight from the tap when turned on. But stopped when turned off.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2016 - 06:54 AM

If you want my two cents, spend $15 and replace the whole thing.  IMO, you don't have more than a 60% chance the new seals will fix the thing, and you'll end up replacing it anyway. 

• toten

Posted June 21, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Is there a reasonable aftermarket one? Retail for OEM is $60ish. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.