Need help with XR650L mods, please help.

5 replies to this topic
  • livinglarge

Posted March 14, 2004 - 08:42 AM

OK guys, need some help. Have a friend with a 1996 XR650L and we need mods for the muffler, air box, and jetting. Can't find the info on search so what can you do to help us out? Also, this particualr bike has a rather large pump of some sort on the left side of the motor and a canister hanging next to the carb. Is this a California model? What is this thing and can it me removed?

Appreciate the help.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 14, 2004 - 09:35 AM

Can't find the info on search so what can you do to help us out? Also, this particualr bike has a rather large pump of some sort on the left side of the motor and a canister hanging next to the carb. Is this a California model? What is this thing and can it me removed?

Yes, yes & yes. Baja Designs is good place to start to get some ideas, parts & help.

If you're going to do any mods you'll need to identify them first. Emissions, intake/airbox & exhaust. Each one will affect the performance and driveability in all different rpm ranges.

Pick up the IMS smog block off kit to remove ALL of the smog crap. Drill out the rivets that hold the airbox "snorkel" in place and remove it. If you do this, you'll need to get a larger main jet, maybe a #155. While you have the carb off, you might as well drill the vacuum slide and shim the jet needle.

If you put on an aftermarket air cleaner, you'll need a larger pilot jet as well, like a #55. If you put on an aftermarket pipe, you may even need to go larger with the main jet. Otherwise you'll lean-out at top end of the rpm range.

You might want to check out http://www.angelfire...rlug/index.html This is a group for XRL riders. It's where I learned about most of the mods that I've done to my Chopper. Join up, do search and you'll find just about anything you need to know for modding the "electric" pig and the support to do it right.

• livinglarge

Posted March 14, 2004 - 10:09 AM

Dual dog

Thanks so much. If you don't mind a few specific questions.

The smog system removal kit. I assume you're saying IMS can be bought through Baja Designs, right? I'll check with them.

Also, can the stock pipe be moded like the Gordon mods I'm familiar with on the XR400? I see the spark arrestor is welded and bolted in place. Is there a replacement tip or is it best to go with a new pipe.

Snorkel removal is easy and it already has a Uni filter so that is all set. Then we'll attack the rejeting.

Also, you do think then that this is a California bike? It was purchased in Northern Lower Michigan but I've never seen all that stuff on a bike before.

Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted March 14, 2004 - 12:38 PM

Hey living large, no worries.

That's what these sites are for. Trading info & "talkin' story." It's how I learned about the XRL. My other bikes were the older XL500R's & XL600R's and there was nothin' like this back then.

It's probably not a CA bike. But they all have the "octopus" air injector (PAIR) control valve. That'll be gone with the smog block off kit.

You could find the IMS kit probably anywhere, I mentioned BD because they deal strictly with 4-strokes and have plenty of experience with this bike. I've bought carb jets, Uni-air filter, skid plate, 14-tooth countershaft sprocket, magnetic drain plug, Maier "XR" style tail light...

I've read about folks using a 2" hole saw and cutting the end cap out. I personally don't think the stock system is worth keeping. I've always had Supertrapps and now have the Supertrapp IDS2 pipe with 7 disks. Better peformance, tunable, not too loud and much lighter. Though I think the Big Gun is the way to go. A couple of my riding buddies have these, including headers, and there's a reason why they're called "Guns."

You and your friend will be suprised with the performance gains you'll get after doing some of the standard uncorking for the XRL. Overall you can get them pretty close to an XR600R, only this one has the "magic" button.

• slip

Posted March 14, 2004 - 02:31 PM

You can get the smog block off kits from xrsonly.com also. :)

• bsm1368

Posted March 17, 2004 - 05:15 AM

You might look at XR's ONly for exhaust..I have their comp. muffler on my xrl Works great...It's too loud with the core that it comes with but they have a quiet core available that works well. It sounds about as loud as the stock muffler with the baffle removed except it has a much lower THUMPER sound...I like it! The people there were very helpful when I called them...

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.