WR Trip Meter

21 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 13, 2001 - 12:44 PM

Question?
I am trying to reset my Trip Meter on this bike, and you have to turn it backwards for it to reset? It's bad enough to get my hand in there. I thought it would work like on the 4 wheeler where the numbers turn at one time and they align. So after just a few turns it would read zero. Is this thing messed up? Is anyone else experiencing this?
Dennis :)

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted May 14, 2001 - 04:40 AM

Dennis,
The reset knob is stone-age. I replaced the knob with one for a TTR250. It is twice the diameter and fits the shank, makes resetting the odometer a snap. I went for a 95 mile ride on Saturday and it took less than 2 minutes to reset back to zero.

• wrpunisher

Posted May 14, 2001 - 09:30 PM

Are you pulling the knob out before turning it back?

------------------
Chris
99WR400F

• wrpunisher

Posted May 14, 2001 - 09:33 PM

oops, just re-read your question - disregard my previous post. I think Geoff has the right answer :-)

------------------
Chris
99WR400F

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 14, 2001 - 09:42 PM

Dump the stock odo. POS!

• sclaus

Posted May 14, 2001 - 10:22 PM

Too much work...go with a Panoram! :)

<a href=http://www.trailtech.net>Panoram Website</a>

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 15, 2001 - 10:30 AM

Did you find this easy to install? In your opinion has this thing been reliable?
Dennis

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 15, 2001 - 10:56 AM

No problems, if you have a problem, trail tech is quick to correct it. Can't go wrong with product or service.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 15, 2001 - 11:22 AM

I have nothing but good things to say about Geoff's kit. This is a must have!

• cueball

Posted May 15, 2001 - 04:54 PM

I had my first ride with Geoff's kit last Saturday (I got it this winter, installed it & finally got out riding).

My opinion: lose the stock odometer! I'll be putting the Trailtech on all my future rides. One of the best 'bang for the buck' parts I've bought.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tjbm03

Posted May 27, 2001 - 07:04 AM

Here is my solution with resetting the trip ometer. I have lengthen the reset knob with a glue stick from a glue gun so I can reach it from the left side. I have also attached a knob with a nut inside. It makes it very easy to reset the trip meter with a cordless drill and a suitable hex shank drill bit

Posted Image

Johan

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 29, 2001 - 04:08 PM

I understand the problem, but it is most likely intended for Enduro use, where resets are not always to zero. Sometimes it has to be reset only a tenth or two forward or back. An odometer that only resets to zero in one or two turns would be useless for that application.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 29, 2001 - 05:24 PM

Oh man are you kididng me, I cant belive this, hold on,,,,,,,, wow its true you have to sit there and roll it back one tenth at a time. Well mine had 600 plus miles on it when I got it and I was not abut to sit there and roll it back. I got an easy out, left handed drill bit lookin thing, and chucked it into my cordless and tapped it into the Odometer knob. I held the knob out with a 11mm wrench and let the dirll do its thing in high speed. I used low once it hit the 20 Mi mark. What a pain. In hind site at 600 miles I should have just used a regular drill bit and went forward :). Oh well at least it has an odometer. I dont think I will pay to put another one one it, of corse I have a magnetic electornic one for my bicycle, I just have to program in the wheel size in mm and it tracks MPH and RPM too if I can get one on the fly wheel at the timing port with some blue gue silicone,,,,, hmmm will it work at 95 MPH and 10,000 RPM???? stay tuned sports fans!!!!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 30, 2001 - 04:02 PM

Geoff, it sounds like your unit is pretty good. I am curious if it can be programmed with average speeds and mileage marks minute by minute like a roll chart. In other words, is it like an Enduro computer? Will it advise when to speed up or slow down? Most of the Enduro computers do this, but then they cost $300-400.
I was once a so-called "brain dead" desert racer, but am just now learning to timekeep for possible D-37 Enduro use. I will need a tool that can do this.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 30, 2001 - 04:15 PM

PS: just answered part of my own question at your website. It does not say if it will handle multiple speed average changes in one program. Can you elaborate? Will it warn of possibles? Anyone in D37 Enduro using this that you know of?

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 30, 2001 - 05:12 PM

Dan,

I own one of Geoff's kits and think it's awesome, but not for what your doing. Timekeeping in a D-37 enduro is an art I've yet to master. I've had some big get-offs trying to read my ICO at speed and can't seem to ride and think about time at the same time. I just hope I get on a row with someone who knows what they are doing.

I have the trailtech on the bike until it's enduro time. Hope this helps.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 31, 2001 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, Ron. It does help. I hear what you are saying about riding and reading at the same time. When you have to calculate rate/time stuff as well, you have your hands full. My family and I belong to an Enduro club (Training Wheels MC), and everyone there recommends learning by the manual method first, then going computer. I am doing that in monthly club events first, then computer, then will probably switch to District. It's a lot different than bomb runs and riding WFO the whole race (although it does have its moments). Thanks.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted June 05, 2001 - 04:54 AM

O.K. you guys, You all made me feel bad so I got the trailtech Panoram computer for my WR.
I installed it and with the help of a friend programed it but as of yet haven't rode the bike yet.. hope I am as happy with it as all of you other guys.
Jim

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 05, 2001 - 05:31 AM

Guys, Im with you on the stocker being a POS, I once went on a 500mi ride and when it came time to reset the ODO after the ride it took me at least 15 minutes to reset the thing. I went out a got a Pacemaker 3 which does everything for me, you can also program resets too, it has a dual-sport mode that gives you a complete dashboard of info with a huge LED read out. On the Panoram I think you can only reset to zero? This is what my dad tells me after he purchased the unit and is unhappy with it.

Dan

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2001 - 11:49 AM

What is the web site for the pacemaker 3?
Dennis

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.